News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Gloucester has some strangish sculptural features, little really literal, bit abstracty in some cases.

This is is mis-called "St Kyneburgh Tower" by some, it is actually a well! Kyneburgh,was supposedly a Saxon princess who was dodging an arranged marriage. A Gloucester baker adopted her but his wife killed her out of jealousy and threw the body down a well. Presumably miraculous things happened and she was beatified.

So, get under the "tower" and it's like looking up through the layers of earth to the wellhead way above.

The locals call it "The CD Rack"

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Next to the above is, by the same artist, what is supposed to be a representation of the Roman Wall whose line it follws. Looks nowt like any Roman wall I have ever seen!

This is called "The Toast Rack" by the locals.

Dave

This is one of the works shown at the Crucible Exhibition in Gloucester Cathedral, 2014

It is Damien Hurst:s "Fallen Angel". Needs close inspection, especially by the right knee and on the left arm, to see the significance.

Here is the whole thing, sorry but misplaced catalogue so can't name them.

Photobucket album

Not sure if quality of images shows well in Photobucket.

Recusant

Yeah, the first thing I noticed was the tie-off/cinch/whatever junkies call it on the left arm as I scrolled down through the photo. Maybe doesn't speak so well for my choices in the people I've associated with in my life.  :-\

I actually don't think it's all that good. The wings should be drooping, with one askew.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on July 14, 2016, 07:06:59 PM
Yeah, the first thing I noticed was the tie-off/cinch/whatever junkies call it on the left arm as I scrolled down through the photo. Maybe doesn't speak so well for my choices in the people I've associated with in my life.  :-\

I actually don't think it's all that good. The wings should be drooping, with one askew.
Hmm, that would certainly add to the poignancy, Recusant

[Just looked up "recusant", bit ironic for an administrator?  ;)  ]

Recusant

Quote from: Gloucester on July 14, 2016, 07:14:01 PMJust looked up "recusant", bit ironic for an administrator?  ;) 

I suppose so, but I've been using that handle on the internet for about 10 years (having been associated with it for close to 25), and I certainly wasn't an admin when I became a member of this site.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on July 14, 2016, 06:03:32 PM
This is one of the works shown at the Crucible Exhibition in Gloucester Cathedral, 2014

It is Damien Hurst:s "Fallen Angel". Needs close inspection, especially by the right knee and on the left arm, to see the significance.

Here is the whole thing, sorry but misplaced catalogue so can't name them.

Photobucket album

Not sure if quality of images shows well in Photobucket.
I like it.  :smilenod:
I found this:
http://www.damienhirst.com/news/2014/crucible2
'Fallen Angel' is taken from Antonio Canova's The Repentant Magdalene (c.1794-96). Whilst the original sculpture's empty palms symbolise Magdalene's sense of spiritual abandonment on the death of Christ, here she is recreated as an angel fallen from grace; a victim of self-harm and drug abuse. As elsewhere in Hirst's work, a point of tension is created between the desperate subject matter and the rich materials utilised.....

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Recusant

Excellent photos of some fine scenery, Tank. Thanks for posting them. I really like the one of the pool behind the weir. From the looks of the stonework, I guessed that glass-enclosed pedestrian bridge in the mill photo could be a replacement for some previous connecting structure. Indulging my curiosity about things like that is often a waste of time, but I do have a semi-professional interest in architectural oddities. That's my excuse anyway.

To me it looks like it was some sort of chute. The unusual depth makes me think that it was actually two chutes in a single structure.
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on July 19, 2016, 09:12:57 PM
New Lanark. Just over the Scottish border.
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...B-E-A-Utiful!!!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on July 19, 2016, 10:03:52 PM
Excellent photos of some fine scenery, Tank. Thanks for posting them. I really like the one of the pool behind the weir. From the looks of the stonework, I guessed that glass-enclosed pedestrian bridge in the mill photo could be a replacement for some previous connecting structure. Indulging my curiosity about things like that is often a waste of time, but I do have a semi-professional interest in architectural oddities. That's my excuse anyway.

To me it looks like it was some sort of chute. The unusual depth makes me think that it was actually two chutes in a single structure.

It's raining today so we're doing the tour. I should find out more.