Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

Quote from: McQCenter weighted average metering, no exposure compensation.
Is that why we see no stars?  IMO stars would spoil it, and the moon is certainly perfectly exposed.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on August 05, 2012, 11:41:45 AM
Is that why we see no stars?  IMO stars would spoil it, and the moon is certainly perfectly exposed.
Yes. If you expose for the stars then the moon would be over exposed, a featureless white disk.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

TheWalkingContradiction

Both of these pictures are cropped from poor quality originals that I took without looking through the lens/viewfinder or setting the camera since I did not want any of these guys (whom I did not know) to realize what I was doing.

This is my favorite picture...  Well, of all time.  I call it "Love in New York," and I sometimes look at it when I am feeling down.  I snapped it in 2007, while walking from a class in one Manhattan building to a class in another.

Is there anything sexier than a guy who is into fine art?  Be still my aching heart!  I took his picture in 2004 in the Musées royaux des Beaux-Arts de Belgique (The Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium) in Brussels.

TheWalkingContradiction

From 2011, near where I teach in Manhattan...

This sign must have been posted by fellow Star Trek fans with their heads in the clouds...  I wasn't aware that we had the technology to move things through times and space!  ("Temporally moved...")

TheWalkingContradiction

And from my Brooklyn neighborhood...

The latest in bridal fashions!  (Would you or your bride wear this?)

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on August 05, 2012, 05:24:55 PM
And from my Brooklyn neighborhood...

The latest in bridal fashions!  (Would you or your bride wear this?)

My marrying days are long behind me  and I rest easy now in connubial bliss, but I think this outfit is very toothsome indeed. I don't know about marrying the sort of women who would wear it though.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

OldGit

McQ

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2012, 08:44:01 AM
Quote from: McQ on August 05, 2012, 04:33:47 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 04, 2012, 07:57:15 PM
Aperture, ISO and shutter speed  :)

Oops! Forgot to include the juicy details!  :)

I had the 1.4X teleconverter on the 300mm lens, giving it a 420mm equivalence.

EXIF Summary:   Shutter 1/250s; Aperture f/4.5;  ISO 200;  420mm (35mm eq:420mm)
Center weighted average metering, no exposure compensation.
So you have a full frame sensor in the body? Which body?

Nikon D3s. It's my friend.  ;D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: OldGit on August 05, 2012, 11:41:45 AM

Yes. The Moon is so many times brighter than the stars that if I made my exposure so that you could even barely see the stars, the entire frame would be blown out by the brightness of the Moon. It would be that over exposed.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Sandra Craft

A couple of lucky shots I got at work today:

I think this is a falcon, but I'm not really sure, it may be a hawk.  I looked up how to tell them apart, and I'm still not sure.  Frustrating thing about this picture is that just as I put my camera away, he flew off.  I would have loved to have gotten of picture of him in flight.

Took this one just as I was leaving work.  I've seen coyotes in the area more than a few times, and some much closer than this, but never one out and hunting so early in the evening. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

OldGit

Interesting photos, BCE!  I wouldn't know exactly what the bird is, but it's pretty in a mean sort of way.

If the other one were a fox in England, I'd say he was a bit bold to be out in the open so early, but it does happen.

Siz

Check out this fella, asleep on my lawn this morning. He sat up when he heard me open the door and just sat and stared.
Yeah, I know they're unclean and verminous blah, blah, blah. But I think they're beautiful.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Scissorlegs on August 08, 2012, 01:22:02 PM
Check out this fella, asleep on my lawn this morning. He sat up when he heard me open the door and just sat and stared.
Yeah, I know they're unclean and verminous blah, blah, blah. But I think they're beautiful.

I think foxes are adorable -- like somebody mixed a dog and a cat in the best way possible.  We used to have foxes where I work too, but people in the surrounding houses complained that they ate their cats so the foxes where trapped and removed.  Within a few years, the ground squirrel population exploded and the area was literally overrun with them.  When a pack of coyotes finally moved into the area and started eating the squirrels, no one complained -- they just kept their cats indoors, which they should have been doing in the first place.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany