Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 30, 2012, 06:45:41 PM
Well, I may not be McQ, but I do have a lot of photos!

Aha and so the McQism is born

I may not be McQ but I can see you've lost focus.
I may not be McQ but I can see your perspective isn't worth seeing.
Hmm, thought I had more than that.

McQ

Thanks for all the kind compliments.
Here's one more shot that I really like. No doubt in my mind this guy comes from good dinosaur stock. Beautiful bird.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

McQ

Funny thing is that I didn't realize how easily you could see his "front claws/talons" until he spread out like this. When I look at the series of photos I took of him, they are really impressive.
--Penn Jillette

musicality

before i became a classical singer...i was enveloped by hookah smoke every weekend.
"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

The Magic Pudding

I like musicality's smoke photo.

McQ's bird is special.

I'll do a troll mode sentence, I don't mean it but I'm interested in replies to it.
I am aware some 19th century people suggested artists should toss their brushes, the camera is here.
I'm wondering if this is like a Pascall's wager type question, old and no body could be bothered about it.  If that's the case just take it as a general where is photography going?

Video cameras have increasingly high resolution, point them and they catch everything, the art of the photographer will soon be replaced by the mediocrity of playing the video and selecting the best frame.

McQ

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 18, 2012, 02:02:30 PM

McQ's bird is special.

I'll do a troll mode sentence, I don't mean it but I'm interested in replies to it.
I am aware some 19th century people suggested artists should toss their brushes, the camera is here.
I'm wondering if this is like a Pascall's wager type question, old and no body could be bothered about it.  If that's the case just take it as a general where is photography going?

Video cameras have increasingly high resolution, point them and they catch everything, the art of the photographer will soon be replaced by the mediocrity of playing the video and selecting the best frame.

It's a valid point to bring up and something I've thought about a lot. I still don't know what direction things will go or how much the technology will affect still photography.
I suspect, much like painting, still photography won't die, at least not as an art form. Art is in the making of it as much as in the finished work.

However, I think an awful lot of sports photographers and news photographers will need to evolve or die. It will certainly be much easier to take a frame from a high speed, HD video and just plunk it down into wherever you want it from now on.
--Penn Jillette

Crow

Quote from: McQ on April 18, 2012, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 18, 2012, 02:02:30 PM

McQ's bird is special.

It's a valid point to bring up and something I've thought about a lot. I still don't know what direction things will go or how much the technology will affect still photography.
I suspect, much like painting, still photography won't die, at least not as an art form. Art is in the making of it as much as in the finished work.

However, I think an awful lot of sports photographers and news photographers will need to evolve or die. It will certainly be much easier to take a frame from a high speed, HD video and just plunk it down into wherever you want it from now on.

The biggest reason I don't think the method TMP will take over any time soon is due to memory, video would need to be shot far in excess of 1080p to rival that of traditional photography (film or digital) and that's not even taking RAW format into account. Skill, knowledge, and experience is still required even if technology does come to that so there is nothing to worry about, especially for photographers that have gone through the change from film to digital already.
Retired member.

McQ

Quote from: musicality on April 18, 2012, 10:41:34 AM

before i became a classical singer...i was enveloped by hookah smoke every weekend.

Smoke is hard to do well. This turned out nicely.
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Ok, one more from the wilds of Florida. A Rosiette Spoonbill seems to float above the water on the Myakka River.

Enjoy!

--Penn Jillette