News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Politics / Re: Politics and Islam in UK
Last post by billy rubin - March 17, 2024, 05:31:11 PM
maybe so
Last post by zorkan - March 17, 2024, 05:22:53 PM
UAE wants to protect its oil.
It has reserves for a further 300 years if no exports.
But god created oil for us to use it.

There is of course a reference in the bible.
"In Exodus 30:30-32, a special oil was mixed that God said should be used to anoint Aaron and his sons and remain set aside only for this purpose."

By popular interpretation that no doubt means the sons of Aaron are now inhabiting the earth.
Last post by billy rubin - March 17, 2024, 03:52:04 PM
if trump wins the american election we re going to see a lot of realignments. the unted states props up a bunch of states that may or may not be worth propping up

QuoteIn reality, foreign assistance typically makes up less than 1% of the trillions of dollars in federal spending. Still, the U.S. gives more money in foreign aid in total dollars than any other country in the world, distributing more than $640 billion globally from 2012 through 2022.Jan 18, 2024
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/countries-that-receive-the-most-foreign-aid-from-the-u-s#:~:text=In%20reality%2C%20foreign%20assistance%20typically,globally%20from%202012%20through%202022.

one major failing is the 55 billion dollars we make selling arms to the rest of the world. places like saudi, and israel, and so on. i once drove two oshkosh MATVs to the baltimore harbour from wisconsni

when i got to the harbour i drove into a lot that had a hundred of them going to the UAE . they were US$530,00 each, so there was a load of armoured vehicles going into that ship that cost US$53,000,000. to a country with 9 million people. who are the emirs going to go to war with using those machines? obviously, their own people, and we make it possible.
Last post by zorkan - March 17, 2024, 12:35:07 PM
America spreads its tentacles around the world only when it suits it to do so.
A feature of America First is non-intervention.

"Problem is, the whole world economy runs on oil, not just the US. And the US economy doesn't function without the rest of the world to trade with.

China, for instance is the world's largest net importer of oil, and consumes about a million barrels per day of oil from the KSA. That oil is turned into many things - including the hundreds of billions of dollars worth of goods the US imports from China every year.

So the United States isn't in bed with various unpleasant governments in the Gulf because the US needs the oil directly. It's in bed with those governments because the US wants the world economy to work on America's terms, and that means overseeing the flow of Gulf oil to the rest of the world."

We'll fight them on the beaches:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Stop_Oil
Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by Asmodean - March 17, 2024, 10:00:51 AM
Yes, I suppose they are at that. :smilenod: Though I imagine Ren got his inspiration from multiple sources, as he starts off like a serenade, then progresses into a kind-of bardic tale, told through the music, the acting, the environment (videography), the changing points of view and the lyrics.

A versatile artist, able to utilise his versatility for compelling effect.

EDIT: Imagine Pirate Jenny with the kind of visuals Ren used - I don't mean graffiti-lined streets, but the interior and the exterior of a ship, for example - something fitting.. That would have been... Atmospherically awesome. :smilenod:
Last post by hermes2015 - March 17, 2024, 03:24:00 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on March 16, 2024, 05:53:34 PMSome of the best storytelling I've heard in a song (or three) in the past... Ooh, decade or two, I think.

It took Ren some songs to grow on me, but once he did... The man is in a class of his own.

You're right. he is brilliant. One can see the content and style of his delivery are direct descendants of Kurt Weill's. To show what I mean, look, at Lotte Lenya performing Weill's Pirate Jenny. That the name Jenny is in both pieces is purely coincidental!

Last post by billy rubin - March 16, 2024, 07:58:38 PM
i remember when we bombed cambodia to try to disrupt the ho chi minh trail. a peaceful adjacent nation with no power to extricate itself from either hanoi or washington.

nixon kept the bombing secret from the american public, but i was living in southeast asia, and pictures of the little pineapple cluster bomblets were all over the straits times. those anti personell bomblets are still there, still killing people every day.

our contribution to world peace. along with my lai.
Last post by Asmodean - March 16, 2024, 05:53:34 PM
Some of the best storytelling I've heard in a song (or three) in the past... Ooh, decade or two, I think.

It took Ren some songs to grow on me, but once he did... The man is in a class of his own.

Religion / Christian Nonduality
Last post by Me_Be - March 16, 2024, 10:48:56 AM
The Bible is belief.
God is belief.
Christianity is belief.
Nonduality is belief.

Reality as such is simply ordinary and simple; it's this immediate unknowing, and at the same time reality knows it does not know, everything else is imagination/story.

There is no such thing as Nonduality because Nonduality is not a thing.

The Oneness that is reality is not a concept. Duality and multiplicity are concepts, hence the paradox/contradiction of this NON-DUAL multiplicity.

The reality is that there is no separation or otherness.  There's simply everything&nothing one without a second.

The misunderstanding of the word ''Nonduality'' often invokes the feeling of confusion within the thinker, especially how it then attempts to express the idea's ultimate meaning, using concepts. Misunderstandings form a kind of unavoidable ignorance; as Oneness is never recognised, because it's unknown.

Only the conceptual world is known, and in and of itself knows nothing. That's the paradox of Nonduality which is pointing to the nonconceptual using concepts. But, behind the message of every belief lies the pure clarity of reality, the absolute truth.

Is this topic worthy of being discussed? I personally think it's useful in the sense of thinking for oneself, and having the capacity to not believe something just because it's what everyone else believes too, so it must be true. We can listen to other people's personal takes on knowledge and belief, and then make up our own mind as to whether we perceive it that way too, or not.

The more deeply we think about Nonduality, the closer we come to the realisation of the true nature of reality, eventually arriving at a conclusion that all ''religious beliefs'' are simply analogous to the multiple characters and images seen in our nightly dreams.

Thoughts...
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Photography, photos you to...
Last post by Tank - March 16, 2024, 08:34:32 AM
I love these photos. You can't post enough :)