News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Nostalgia -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, May 10, 2019, 09:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I think that the majority of these photos are more personal evocations of nostalgia, which seems about right to me. Nostalgia can be a very personal feeling.

Thank you very much to all who submitted photos. Please PM me ASAP if I've missed any entries, or otherwise made a mistake in setting this poll.

Members may vote for up to six entries and can change their votes. Voting will close in about two weeks.

1. Lark

2. hermes2015

3. xSilverPhinx

4. jumbojak

5. Bad Penny II

6. Tank

7. Recusant

8. Lark

9. hermes2015

10. xSilverPhinx

11. jumbojak

12. Bad Penny II

13. Tank

14. Recusant

15. Lark

16. hermes2015

17. xSilverPhinx

18. jumbojak

19. Bad Penny II

20. Tank

21. Recusant

22. Lark

23. hermes2015

24. Bad Penny II

25. Tank

26. Recusant

27. Lark

28. Bad Penny II

29. Tank

30. Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

:love: them all! I like seeing the kinds of things that evoke such emotions in people.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

I am pleased to be associated with people who have sensitivities of this sort.  Thank you all.

hermes2015

This must be one of the best collections ever, with some excellent photos.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 11, 2019, 06:59:17 AM
This must be one of the best collections ever, with some excellent photos.

Agreed.  I'm going to have to walk away and think about this a bit before voting.  By the way, I know #1 is a drawing of a sheep wearing a wool sweater, but my brain keeps saying "easter egg".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

Wow, a lot of private and personal memories in this collection. Hard to make a choice.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bad Penny II

This would be better if the REM album wasn't obscured.

You would say that.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Voting will close soon, so those who still haven't voted should get in.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Hmm...seems we have a tie! Interesting...:chin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 26, 2019, 02:30:16 PM
Hmm...seems we have a tie! Interesting...:chin:

I think next time it's 2 pics and 4 votes. We're getting a case of choice overload.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

For the first time ever, the HAF Photo Challenge has resulted in a three-way tie. Let joy be unbounded!  ;D

Congratulations to Lark and xSilverPhinx, whose teddy bears and sweet dog netted four votes each. My derelict boat on Loch Ness also managed four votes. Second win in a row for xSilverPhinx! Between the three of us, I think we'll manage to come up with a good theme for the next iteration.

Many thanks once again to all who contributed to this delectable selection of images, and to all who voted in the poll. Cheers! :dance:
— H. L. Mencken

Lark

Photo  no: 1   This is an acryl, not a sheep in a wooly jumper.  It is a breed invented and drawn by my grandson aged 8.  He has children of his own now.

Photo no: 8   Moon over the sea, St. Augustine, Florida.

Photo no: 15   Collection of animal friends of Jeremy Fisher, gathered together to welcome him back from being a geocaching travel bug. He was actually returned by post from Germany by a very kind geocacher there, because I wanted him back, and I didn't think he would make it without her special help. He was meant to get back to England by travelling from cache to cache, but it seemed like he would never get out of Germany.

Photo no: 22   Ted is very old--I've had him since I was five, and you don't want to know how long ago that was! Bok is only 30, and came from South Africa, but they have been together ever since.

Photo no: 27   Stooks seen near Dunfanaghy, County Donegal, Ireland, about seven years ago. At one time, all the harvest fields in the UK, Ireland, and all over the world looked like this. Much more picturesque, but hard work.

hermes2015

That was an exciting end that shows how good the entries were this time. Congratulations to all you guys.
:boaterhat:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

#7 Shows a fine summer's day in Virginia. I thought it painterly, but perhaps too reminiscent of Wyeth.  ;)

#14 As mentioned, shows a derelict boat on Loch Ness. This was taken during my first visit to the UK while travelling with a dear friend many years ago.

#21 Is a portrait of a Border Terrier friend of mine with whom I spent many happy hours on lengthy walks.

#26 A dog-walking photo, this time with a wonderful Shetland Sheepdog.

#30 A view of Eilean Donan Castle taken during the same trip as the Loch Ness photo above. Photos of Eilean Donan Castle are a cliche in the genre of photos of Scotland, but that's because it's so damn photogenic!
— H. L. Mencken