News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Does Anybody Here Remember...

Started by Bad Penny II, June 20, 2018, 02:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?

Sure Roger, she was before my time but I heard her song.

Does anybody remember those yellow round things they used to put in the middle of the road?

There's a shortcut via a residential street I take to the fruit shop, The Powers TB have recently marked an uncrossable line 'cause obviously scums have been cutting the corner.  There used to be, long, long ago, circular, 18" diameter, 3-4" high things that were used for similar purpose.

Could be regional, they may not have been used anywhere else.
They could have been alien installations that saw enough and went home...
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bluenose

Yes I remember them, "Silent cops" they were called and I think they were a New South Wales thing, I don't recall seeing any in Victoria (been down here since 1968).  They were still a thing when I learned to drive around circa 1975 in Nowra, NSW (I was taught by my uncle who I was visiting after finishing HSC.)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bluenose on June 20, 2018, 02:15:46 PM
Yes I remember them, "Silent cops" they were called and I think they were a New South Wales thing, I don't recall seeing any in Victoria (been down here since 1968).  They were still a thing when I learned to drive around circa 1975 in Nowra, NSW (I was taught by my uncle who I was visiting after finishing HSC.)

Ah yes, silent cops, thank you, praise with great praise.

That looks like a landed alien saucer to me.

More "Does Anybody Here Remember" posts are invited.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 20, 2018, 02:08:41 PM
Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?

Sure Roger, she was before my time but I heard her song.

Does anybody remember those yellow round things they used to put in the middle of the road?

There's a shortcut via a residential street I take to the fruit shop, The Powers TB have recently marked an uncrossable line 'cause obviously scums have been cutting the corner.  There used to be, long, long ago, circular, 18" diameter, 3-4" high things that were used for similar purpose.

Could be regional, they may not have been used anywhere else.
They could have been alien installations that saw enough and went home...

I certsinly remember Vera Lynn, certainly heard her live on the radio - she is still alive at 101, still has all her marbles in the right order and, even with the age lines, is still attractive!

Don't think we had deterrent lumps quite like that over here, if traffic needs definite deterrents from cutting corners you get a lump of kerbing poking out. Missed one on a coal black rainy night once, or, rather, clipped the bugger with my nearside front. Cost me a tyre and a wheel! A slopey bump, well marked, would have been enough to put one off cutting the corner.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 20, 2018, 02:25:43 PM

Nope, never seen nuffink like that over here,

hermes2015

No, they aren't seen much over here. Rumble strips to demarcate road lanes are very common, and quite effective.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on June 20, 2018, 02:31:06 PM

Nope, never seen nuffink like that over here,

Ye, there would have been a pertinent Doctor Who episode if there was.

Dave

Does anybody remember when you could buy many more food items by count or weight rather than in family sized packs that waste packing and make a freezer essential?

I like the deli in town because I can buy one or a dozen bacon rashers as I need. (Apart from that their bacon is actually smoked rather than soaked in smoke flavoured, brown dyed brine and is dry cured and not 40% extra water by weight!) (OK, its also twice the supermarket price but I can stand that.)

Recusant

Yes I remember them, "Silent cops" they were called . . .

A similar terminology exists in the UK--speed bumps are know colloquially (at least in the region I'm most familiar with) as "sleeping policemen."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on June 20, 2018, 04:03:13 PM
Yes I remember them, "Silent cops" they were called . . .

A similar terminology exists in the UK--speed bumps are know colloquially (at least in the region I'm most familiar with) as "sleeping policemen."

But I think sleeping policemen and "traffic pillows" are less likely to cause damage or an accident than those lumps of what looked like cast iron! There are "traffic pillows" on the main road near me, I watch low slung sports cars drive down the middle of the road so the bump does not take their exhaust system out! The sensible drivers adjust their speed for a gap in oncoming traffic - the ape-brains (sorry ape-kind) just hog the middle and force others to be half-on-half-off the bump and almost on the kerb, the worst scenario suspension and safety-wise.

Seems one tried that against a big delivery van and lost. Damn, missed seeing that but heard the screech and bang and the account of an eye witness.

Sandra Craft

Helms Bakery trucks?  I miss them.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on June 20, 2018, 04:54:56 PM
But I think sleeping policemen and "traffic pillows" are less likely to cause damage or an accident than those lumps of what looked like cast iron! There are "traffic pillows" on the main road near me,

I'm not sure what a traffic pillow is.
Many streets at an intersection will have an island, 4-6" high concrete to stop cars cutting the corner, plus give pedestrians a safe space.

I suppose some optimists came to grief with the old silent cops, took a chance a solid strip of concrete discourages.

Drivers that cross the centre line when they can't see if a vehicle is approaching, or even when they do, I find them annoying. 

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 21, 2018, 02:23:46 PM
But I think sleeping policemen and "traffic pillows" are less likely to cause damage or an accident than those lumps of what looked like cast iron! There are "traffic pillows" on the main road near me,

Many streets at an intersection will have an island, 4-6" high concrete to stop cars cutting the corner, plus give pedestrians a safe space.

I suppose some optimists came to grief with the old silent cops, took a chance a solid strip of concrete discourages.

Drivers that cross the centre line when they can't see if a vehicle is approaching, or even when they do, I find them annoying.

These are "traffic pillows", to "calm" traffic, they are about 4" high at the middle with a smooth transistion on all sides. I think some may be higher and shorter. I happily hit them, centred, at 30mph but have had some other small cars, driven by rabbits, slow to 15mph at each pillow. If a bus centres on the pillow cars on the other side have no room to do so! Hitting them one sided at 30 is, er, noticeable.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on June 21, 2018, 03:02:34 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 21, 2018, 02:23:46 PM

These are "traffic pillows", to "calm" traffic, they are about 4" high at the middle with a smooth transistion on all sides. I think some may be higher and shorter. I happily hit them, centred, at 30mph but have had some other small cars, driven by rabbits, slow to 15mph at each pillow. If a bus centres on the pillow cars on the other side have no room to do so! Hitting them one sided at 30 is, er, noticeable.

Those pillows looks pretty stupid to me, but what do I know.

Driven by rabbits?  Rabbits are the icon for fast.

worn out my welcome again, again
so I get on my mobility scooter,
set it to rabbit, and I'm outa here.

Born to be wild, the elderly version.

Dave

Round here rabbits is timid.  Maybe that's why they run so fast?