News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Jumping back in...

Started by Velma, June 16, 2018, 06:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Velma on June 21, 2018, 06:29:25 PM
We got some excellent news! Larry does not have mesothelioma. He has asbestosis, a chronic lung disease caused by exposure to asbestos. There is no cure, only treatment and managing symptoms.

We don't blame the primary care doctor for scaring us. Mesothelioma and asbestosis look a lot alike in scan and x-rays. You really need an oncologist with some experience to tell the difference - and I'm sure the oncology department at the VA has a great deal of experience with mesothelioma (whose primary cause is asbestos exposure). So, his pulmonlogist will be handling treatment.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asbestosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354637

Well, that is good, if qualified, news, Velma.

I presume asbestosis is manageable within limits.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Velma on June 21, 2018, 06:29:25 PM
We got some excellent news! Larry does not have mesothelioma. He has asbestosis, a chronic lung disease caused by exposure to asbestos. There is no cure, only treatment and managing symptoms.

We don't blame the primary care doctor for scaring us. Mesothelioma and asbestosis look a lot alike in scan and x-rays. You really need an oncologist with some experience to tell the difference - and I'm sure the oncology department at the VA has a great deal of experience with mesothelioma (whose primary cause is asbestos exposure). So, his pulmonlogist will be handling treatment.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asbestosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354637

Not good but a lot better than it could nave been!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Asbestosis is one of those things they manage since there is no cure. It is not a clean bill of health by any means, but it does not come with a 60% rate of mortality within the first year like mesothelioma does.

One good thing that came out of it is that we know that the plans we have in place for end-of-life issues will work very well when the time comes.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on June 21, 2018, 07:07:45 PM
Asbestosis is one of those things they manage since there is no cure. It is not a clean bill of health by any means, but it does not come with a 60% rate of mortality within the first year like mesothelioma does.

So still good news and I'm happy for you.  (imagine a gif of the Snoopy dance here)

QuoteOne good thing that came out of it is that we know that the plans we have in place for end-of-life issues will work very well when the time comes.

It's weird how comforting that is.  I started working on mine about a month ago and thought I'd find it depressing but it was quite the opposite.  It actually cheered me up to start getting things tidied and taken care of so my survivors will have as little as possible to be bothered with.  All I have to do is remember to make updates as needed.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 21, 2018, 07:56:22 PM

So still good news and I'm happy for you.  (imagine a gif of the Snoopy dance here)

QuoteOne good thing that came out of it is that we know that the plans we have in place for end-of-life issues will work very well when the time comes.

It's weird how comforting that is.  I started working on mine about a month ago and thought I'd find it depressing but it was quite the opposite.  It actually cheered me up to start getting things tidied and taken care of so my survivors will have as little as possible to be bothered with.  All I have to do is remember to make updates as needed.

Sandra, my recent operation got me thinking along those lines as well. Could you tell us how you went about it? What format or mechanism did you use? Is it in the form of a Word document you then asked your lawyer to keep, or is it a codicil to your will?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Velma

Thanks. It was an immense relief!

One good thing that came out of it is that we know that the plans we have in place for end-of-life issues will work very well when the time comes.

It really is comforting to know that if something happens to one of us, the other will not have to stress over so many details.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 22, 2018, 06:03:44 AM

Sandra, my recent operation got me thinking along those lines as well. Could you tell us how you went about it? What format or mechanism did you use? Is it in the form of a Word document you then asked your lawyer to keep, or is it a codicil to your will?

I haven't involved a lawyer and don't expect to -- my will is strictly do-it-yourself.  I've been told as long as it's signed by two witness who are not beneficiaries that'll be fine if there's very little "estate" to pass on.  And there isn't. 

I found several forms online just by googling and picked the one that applied most to what I wanted to do (i.e., had language regarding pets).  The parts I'm still fussing with are getting cremation services prepaid and finding affordable end-of-life insurance, just in case.

Here's the site I used for forms: https://eforms.com/wills/
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bluenose

Well asbestosis while not great is way better than mesothelioma, so at least that weight has been lifted.  I am so happy for that - seems funny to be glad someone has a serious disease like asbestosis, but it just goes to show there is always something worse.  That's exactly what I was talking about with one of the nurses during my most recent dialysis session.  No on wants to grow up and have two bloody great needles stuck in their arm for five hours three times a week, but I look at it this way: at least I'm lucky enough to have renal failure at a time in history where there is something the medicos can do about it. Hmmm, not sure if that helps, but there you go!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 22, 2018, 10:18:43 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 22, 2018, 06:03:44 AM

I haven't involved a lawyer and don't expect to -- my will is strictly do-it-yourself.  I've been told as long as it's signed by two witness who are not beneficiaries that'll be fine if there's very little "estate" to pass on.  And there isn't. 

I found several forms online just by googling and picked the one that applied most to what I wanted to do (i.e., had language regarding pets).  The parts I'm still fussing with are getting cremation services prepaid and finding affordable end-of-life insurance, just in case.

Here's the site I used for forms: https://eforms.com/wills/

Great, thank you for the link. The legal situation here is the same.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

A US organization whose name is Compassion and Choices offer several free documents for end of life arrangements.  The documents are most useful and well constructed so as to comply with most of our states laws.

That organization used to called the Hemlock Society.  They were proponents of self determination that included Physician assisted suicide. No they are not an organization from the gates of hell.  They are a bunch of people with some common sense and a lot of compassion for people with terminal illnesses. They were instrumental in helping the states of Oregon and others to make physician assisted suicides permissible. . 

P.S. The Jesus people do not  much like that organization.

Bluenose

Quote from: Icarus on June 22, 2018, 11:13:53 PM
A US organization whose name is Compassion and Choices offer several free documents for end of life arrangements.  The documents are most useful and well constructed so as to comply with most of our states laws.

That organization used to called the Hemlock Society.  They were proponents of self determination that included Physician assisted suicide. No they are not an organization from the gates of hell.  They are a bunch of people with some common sense and a lot of compassion for people with terminal illnesses. They were instrumental in helping the states of Oregon and others to make physician assisted suicides permissible. . 

P.S. The Jesus people do not  much like that organization.

I'm sure the feeling is entirely mutual
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Velma, The C and C people are not openly anti religious but they do piss off a lot of narrow minded evangelicals.

Velma

Quote from: Icarus on June 24, 2018, 12:40:14 AM
Velma, The C and C people are not openly anti religious but they do piss off a lot of narrow minded evangelicals.
I can see that. It does do against their belief that only God can determine the length of your life, rather like the Fates in Greek mythology.

I don't see why it is immoral to end a human being's suffering, but not that of the family dog or cat.

Recusant

Quote from: Velma on June 24, 2018, 06:14:01 AM
I can see that. It does do against their belief that only God can determine the length of your life, rather like the Fates in Greek mythology.

I don't see why it is immoral to end a human being's suffering, but not that of the family dog or cat.

Yes, it's bullshit, born of the "humans aren't really like animals; they're next to angels, with immortal souls" mythology-based mindset. The US will probably be one of the last places where that sort of nonsense holds sway in the "first world", though the UK also seems set to hold that particular line for some time to come.

I'm very glad to hear that the news from the sawbones wasn't nearly as bad as it might have been. I've enjoyed reading your husband's writings on various sites over the years (particularly on the history forum), though he's no longer so active on many of them.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Velma

Quote from: Recusant on June 24, 2018, 11:00:46 AM
Quote from: Velma on June 24, 2018, 06:14:01 AM

Yes, it's bullshit, born of the "humans aren't really like animals; they're next to angels, with immortal souls" mythology-based mindset. The US will probably be one of the last places where that sort of nonsense holds sway in the "first world", though the UK also seems set to hold that particular line for some time to come.

I'm very glad to hear that the news from the sawbones wasn't nearly as bad as it might have been. I've enjoyed reading your husband's writings on various sites over the years (particularly on the history forum), though he's no longer so active on many of them.
He still enjoys his history forums, but enthusiasms wax and wane.