News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Why laughter in the lab can help your science

Started by xSilverPhinx, April 02, 2018, 12:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

QuoteThe lab is sometimes a silly place — and perhaps it should be. A group that behaves in daft ways from time to time tends to be one that is positive, results-oriented and successful, says Michael Kerr, a business speaker in Canmore, Canada, who focuses on humour in the workplace. Jokes and pranks can serve as signs of a healthy workplace, and provide ways to foster trust and good communication among staff, Kerr says.

A 2012 meta-review of studies on humour in the workplace found that it is linked with strong employee performance, effective stress-coping mechanisms and sturdy group cohesiveness.

Continues here (Nature)

Yes, let's go to Camelot, even though it is a silly place. :grin:

I found this interesting article on jokes and humour in the laboratory environment, and decided to start another thread so as to not derail the Women in science and technology discussion.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Yup, I reckon humour and play is stimulating and creative at its best and, if safe, wholly appropriate for creative people in a creative environment!

I have often heard it said that there is an innocent but intense curiosity in children that is lost as the realities of the mundane world put a damper on it. Perhaps creative people never fully "grow up"?  A sense of humour is no barrier to genius:

https://youtu.be/xPwTephRqWI

Even Einstein had a dry sense of humour publicly, maybe more flippant privately.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

^ :lol: That's a good Stephan Hawking compilation, Dave!

High fives!

Dave

Seems Hawkin was also well known for his "chairobatics",  spinning it round in corridors and "dancing" etc. Wiuld probably have done wheelies if it was capable!

xSilverPhinx

I think it's great that he had a sense of humour given his life must have not have been particularly easy.

Dave

Going through the list looking for a doevifuc subject I found this one and, quite suddenly, a memory popped into my mind.

Back when I had the cataract opp, lying there with my head in a saddle to keep it still, with a sedative that barely touched me, ferling the scalpel etc being poked into my eye (merely as a sense of pressure) etc. I could even hear the sll female staff cracking jokes and laughing.

When I mentioned this after the op was over the surgeon started to appologise. "No," was my response, "it's OK, had your voices been quiet and sombre I would have been anxious - your laughter and jokes told me that you were relaxed with the way things were going, so I was relaxed as well."

No one

Laughter is rampant in my workplace. Especially when the paychecks arrive.

Dave

Quote from: No one on June 20, 2018, 09:14:48 PM
Laughter is rampant in my workplace. Especially when the paychecks arrive.

Maniacal or sinister? Both?

Tom62

Paychecks are an unknown phenomena here in Germany, but the salary statements here are made of union paper. You look at at and start to cry.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein