Author Topic: Workshop and fixit stuff  (Read 5434 times)

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
Re: Workshop and fixit stuff
« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »
I finally ordered myself a saw set so I can properly sharpen saws. The WS will be the first test most likely but I can't decide if I want to convert it to a large rip saw or keep it a crosscut.

Think back and ask yourself which you have used most often.

It's about a 50/50 mix. I have about... twenty hand saws in total so there's plenty to choose from. And I can always reshape the teeth to a different prifle if needed. Rip saws are much easier to sharpen though. It almost makes it worthwhile to keep them set to rip and deal with the slower cut!

If doing a Rip is easier then I would start there on a saw you don't mind losing! :D

PS before and after photos please  :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

• Chandler's Pale Cock Slurper
  • Guardian of Reason
  • The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »
I was all set to replace my muffler today. Ordered the direct fit assembly with new gasket to make things a little easier, jacked the car up and was prepared for a fight with the exhaust studs. Unfortunately for me, the muffler is WELDED ON so I spent an hour running around collecting pipe, clamps, and a few other bits and pieces so I can cut up the considerably more expensive direct fit part I bought up and rig something together.  >:( >:( >:(

I really wish we had power at the shop. Then I could just cut the flange off the new muffler and weld it in place. Twenty minute job, tops.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub
" Please hold your high school or college math books in higher esteem than
your copy of the KJV. " - Icarus

jumbojak

• Chandler's Pale Cock Slurper
  • Guardian of Reason
  • The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #272 on: June 19, 2018, 05:11:10 AM »
Yet more broken, rusty crap. This time it's a Heston round baler.

That bit sticking out in the middle of the photo is the stub shaft from the gearbox that connects the PTO. We got the broken piece of the shaft most of the way out of the locking collar but even a pair of 200 pound gorillas wasn't enough to free it completely.

It'll get heat tomorrow or Wednesday and a bigger hammer to knock it loose. Then weld the two pieces together and put the collar back on. It'll be 105° F both days...  :-[

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub
" Please hold your high school or college math books in higher esteem than
your copy of the KJV. " - Icarus