Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Sandra Craft on Today at 10:21:55 AM »
Sooooooo....yeah, it looks like I bought a house.

:shooty:

That's a nice big half of house.  How many rooms, and do we get to see pics of the inside?
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Jumping back in...
« Last post by Sandra Craft on Today at 10:18:43 AM »

Sandra, my recent operation got me thinking along those lines as well. Could you tell us how you went about it? What format or mechanism did you use? Is it in the form of a Word document you then asked your lawyer to keep, or is it a codicil to your will?

I haven't involved a lawyer and don't expect to -- my will is strictly do-it-yourself.  I've been told as long as it's signed by two witness who are not beneficiaries that'll be fine if there's very little "estate" to pass on.  And there isn't. 

I found several forms online just by googling and picked the one that applied most to what I wanted to do (i.e., had language regarding pets).  The parts I'm still fussing with are getting cremation services prepaid and finding affordable end-of-life insurance, just in case.

Here's the site I used for forms: https://eforms.com/wills/
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Happy 6,000 post party for...
« Last post by OldGit on Today at 09:45:56 AM »
Congratulations, Dave!  Of course, you're ex RAF which naturally means great abilities!
« Last post by Bad Penny II on Today at 09:37:49 AM »
Good for you.

Looks like you've got room to accommodate passing Haffers.
They'd have to be on the way to the North Pole!

Or to inspect Slarty Bartfast's crinkly bits.
Or visit the Norwegian Blue parrot sanctuary cemetery.

I fixed it for ya.
« Last post by Velma on Today at 08:04:13 AM »
Asbestosis is one of those things they manage since there is no cure. It is not a clean bill of health by any means, but it does not come with a 60% rate of mortality within the first year like mesothelioma does.

So still good news and I'm happy for you.  (imagine a gif of the Snoopy dance here)
Thanks. It was an immense relief!

One good thing that came out of it is that we know that the plans we have in place for end-of-life issues will work very well when the time comes.

It's weird how comforting that is.  I started working on mine about a month ago and thought I'd find it depressing but it was quite the opposite.  It actually cheered me up to start getting things tidied and taken care of so my survivors will have as little as possible to be bothered with.  All I have to do is remember to make updates as needed.
It really is comforting to know that if something happens to one of us, the other will not have to stress over so many details.
« Last post by Velma on Today at 07:43:39 AM »
Larry does not have mesothelioma! What he does have is asbestosis, which looks a lot like mesothelioma on scans and xrays. It takes an experienced oncologist to tell the difference. No cure, but it can be managed by his pulmonologist who he already sees for his COPD.

Absolutely fabulous, Velma! I truly am so happy for you both! Now I hope the Dr.s have good direction for their treatment. Did your husband work around asbestos in the past?
Yes he was. He we in the Navy for 20 years, many of those in the engine room.
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 06:03:44 AM »
Asbestosis is one of those things they manage since there is no cure. It is not a clean bill of health by any means, but it does not come with a 60% rate of mortality within the first year like mesothelioma does.

So still good news and I'm happy for you.  (imagine a gif of the Snoopy dance here)

One good thing that came out of it is that we know that the plans we have in place for end-of-life issues will work very well when the time comes.

It's weird how comforting that is.  I started working on mine about a month ago and thought I'd find it depressing but it was quite the opposite.  It actually cheered me up to start getting things tidied and taken care of so my survivors will have as little as possible to be bothered with.  All I have to do is remember to make updates as needed.

Sandra, my recent operation got me thinking along those lines as well. Could you tell us how you went about it? What format or mechanism did you use? Is it in the form of a Word document you then asked your lawyer to keep, or is it a codicil to your will?
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Happy 6,000 post party for...
« Last post by Dave on Today at 05:43:56 AM »
Thanks, peeps!

I am almost still almost as naturally inquisitive as a kid and am always hoping others share that faculty. Having no other outlet (like grandkids) you lot get the brunt of it!

Tried writing articles once but without a formal qualification never got a look-in.
Science / Re: Potential new alternative to vaccination?
« Last post by Dave on Today at 05:19:19 AM »
Somehow I don't think that this method will be seen by the anti-vax crowd as a viable option, should it ever become available for human use.

That write-up has a bit more information than the press release from the University of Missouri, which for instance doesn't mention that the CRISPR technique was used in modifying the genes of the pigs. I was able to find a PDF of the full paper:

"Gene-edited pigs are protected from porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus" | Nature Biotechnology

:secrets1: It's from 2015, though.

Yes, I had the feeling that this was not wholly new stuff, maybe they needed some confirmation confidence.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: DO try this st home.
« Last post by Dragonia on Today at 02:32:23 AM »
Oh yeah, we are definitely trying this! I'll let you know if we see anything cool.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10