News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

James Belvior Checking In

Started by James Belvoir, October 24, 2011, 07:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Belvoir

Hello I am James Belvior

I am a Christian Male 26 and a Graduate from UNSW (University of New South Wales) in Biological Science.
I believe in Intelligent Design from a Theist God. I hope to join this forum for great intelligent debates, mostly based on science, empirical and historical proof.

Asmodean

I'm sorry, but a biologist who supports ID is either a bad scientist or not a very serious one.

So, are you really a graduate in that particular field of science? Or does your view of intelligent design just fill the gaps in good science?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

James, welcome and thanks for putting your cards straight on the table.  Here you will be treated with respect but your arguments probably won't be, unless you can offer something new and interesting.  Bear in mind that we've heard and rejected the usual stuff many times.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, James Belvoir. I'm looking forward to reading a science-based defense of the Intelligent Design position from you. I can think of at least one member here who would be able to give you a good debate on the topic, but he hasn't been active here in nearly a month. Still, I'm sure there are others here who like myself will be interested in what you have to put forward. I would ask some basic questions, but those can wait until you've made 10 posts in the "Getting to Know You" section, and have gained access to the rest of the forum.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: James Belvoir on October 24, 2011, 07:39:25 AM
Hello I am James Belvior

I am a Christian Male 26 and a Graduate from UNSW (University of New South Wales) in Biological Science.
I believe in Intelligent Design from a Theist God. I hope to join this forum for great intelligent debates, mostly based on science, empirical and historical proof.
Please explain for us why your email address (david.j.belc***) bears no relationship to your stated name.
Please explain why there is no Google match for a "James Belvoir" at University of New South Wales.
In fact there doesn't appear to be a "James Belvoir" in Australia.
I won't attach too much significance to the fact you can't even spell your own name correctly in your first post as 'i' and 'o' are adjacent on the keyboard.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

I love tanks, and the HAF-variety above all others  8)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ildiko

Quote from: Tank on October 24, 2011, 10:32:09 AM
Please explain for us why your email address (david.j.belc***) bears no relationship to your stated name.
Please explain why there is no Google match for a "James Belvoir" at University of New South Wales.
I won't attach too much significance to the fact you can't even spell your own name correctly in your first post as 'i' and 'o' are adjacent on the keyboard.

To be fair, Tank, James could be his middle name and Belvoir could be where he lives. Benefit of the doubt?

I'll let you into a secret. Ildiko isn't my real name. There's no match for my real name at the university I attended. There doesn't appear to be a "my real name" in the town where I live. And the email address I signed up with doesn't give my real name and is based in Spain.

We can't find any course in Intelligent Design at the UNSW, though, so presumably James is home-schooled in that.  ;D

Xjeepguy

Tank, you are one helluva good mod. Just had to say that. My forums may still exist if I had mods that cared as much as you do.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Tank

Quote from: Ildiko on October 24, 2011, 11:05:08 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 24, 2011, 10:32:09 AM

To be fair, Tank, James could be his middle name and Belvoir could be where he lives. Benefit of the doubt?

I'll let you into a secret. Ildiko isn't my real name. There's no match for my real name at the university I attended. There doesn't appear to be a "my real name" in the town where I live. And the email address I signed up with doesn't give my real name and is based in Spain.

We can't find any course in Intelligent Design at the UNSW, though, so presumably James is home-schooled in that.  ;D
I have given 'James' the benefit of the doubt, I haven't banned him outright  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Xjeepguy on October 24, 2011, 11:21:42 AM
Tank, you are one helluva good mod. Just had to say that. My forums may still exist if I had mods that cared as much as you do.
OCD does have it's upside  ;D

Ildiko

Sorry, I wasn't getting at Tank - just being a bit OCD in the opposite direction. And maybe providing the OP with enough rope .....

Quote from: Tank on October 24, 2011, 11:29:43 AM
I have given 'James' the benefit of the doubt, I haven't banned him outright  :D

I hear the silent "yet" there. <giggle>

Ildiko

Anyway, back on topic. Hello James and welcome.

I believe in Intelligent Design from a Theist God.

I look forward to your explanation of what you mean by a Theist God and how this differs from some other form of deity.

Cheers,
Ildiko

Tank

Quote from: Ildiko on October 24, 2011, 11:46:09 AM
Sorry, I wasn't getting at Tank - just being a bit OCD in the opposite direction. And maybe providing the OP with enough rope .....

Quote from: Tank on October 24, 2011, 11:29:43 AM

I hear the silent "yet" there. <giggle>
Well you have every right to brook caution as I did ban you by accident, and Attila along with you  :o

Attila

Quote from: Ildiko on October 24, 2011, 11:51:34 AM
Anyway, back on topic. Hello James and welcome.

I believe in Intelligent Design from a Theist God.

I look forward to your explanation of what you mean by a Theist God and how this differs from some other form of deity.

Cheers,
Ildiko
Would an atheist god be a god with confidence issues?  :P

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

I too am curious to see how you would defend a scientific approach to ID.

You do realise that IDer's differ from people who accept theistic evolution in that they say that some stages are irreducibly complex, that is, couldn't have evolved from simpler parts or adapted functions, right? So far everything they've thrown has been refuted by scientists (some who even accept theistic evolution, such as Ken Miller).

Tank, would you have reacted thus if the OP had stated that he was an atheist? :P 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey