News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Help needed with essay on atheism

Started by Gilmore Rabens, April 22, 2011, 09:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilmore Rabens

I'm writing an essay about atheism and belief in god / religion. I'm not an atheist nor am I a believer in god. Basically I'm on the fence, and until now it's not something that I've given much thought to, hence why I feel the need to ask both sides. For the belief in god / religion part of the essay, I've begun asking believers and religious people about their views, and for the atheism part I'm here to ask about atheism.

So, any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Tank

Hi Gilmore

Before I personally get around to giving you some input I'd like to know which educational institution you attend please.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gilmore Rabens

Quote from: "Tank"Hi Gilmore

Before I personally get around to giving you some input I'd like to know which educational institution you attend please.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Is that necessary? I don't see why that would make any difference.

Tank

Quote from: "Gilmore Rabens"

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Oh it does, believe me! If you require honest and open answers to your questions I would appreciate an equivalent level of openness and honesty on your part please. I just like to know my audience before engaging.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Gilmore Rabens

Quote from: "Tank"

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Oh it does, believe me! If you require honest and open answers to your questions I would appreciate an equivalent level of openness and honesty on your part please. I just like to know my audience before engaging.

I appreciate the need for honesty and openness, Chris, and I'm glad you value it too. However you're asking me to tell you which college I go to, and some people would be a little bit uncomfortable giving that kind of personal information on an online forum. I'm sure you can respect that.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Gilmore Rabens.  Since it would be easy to get general information on atheism and atheists through websites/blogs and books, you must be seeking some anecdotal personalized information: What does a particular willing responder to your questions think?  I'm willing to answer a question or two.

I understand Tank's desire for more information, as well as your reluctance to divulge too much specific information online.  Perhaps generalized yet pertinent information would suffice. Such as: What country and or region you're in.  What your current level of study is. What sort of college you're attending (religious, secular, private, public, large, small).

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Gilmore Rabens

Quote from: "Recusant"Hello and welcome to HAF, Gilmore Rabens.  Since it would be easy to get general information on atheism and atheists through websites/blogs and books, you must be seeking some anecdotal personalized information: What does a particular willing responder to your questions think?  I'm willing to answer a question or two.

I understand Tank's desire for more information, as well as your reluctance to divulge too much specific information online.  Perhaps generalized yet pertinent information would suffice. Such as: What country and or region you're in.  What your current level of study is. What sort of college you're attending (religious, secular, private, public, large, small).

No worries, check your inbox.

Tank

Quote from: "Gilmore Rabens"I appreciate the need for honesty and openness, Chris, and I'm glad you value it too. However you're asking me to tell you which college I go to, and some people would be a little bit uncomfortable giving that kind of personal information on an online forum. I'm sure you can respect that.
I can understand not giving out your university if you're using your real name. I ask the question because in the past we have been abused by people who make exactly the claims you do and turn out to be undercover theists who get part of their qualifications by having to submit posts to atheist forums. And it happens around this time of year. Call me paranoid  :)

Whitney

What is the essay going to be used for?

Tank

Quote from: "Recusant"Hello and welcome to HAF, Gilmore Rabens.  Since it would be easy to get general information on atheism and atheists through websites/blogs and books, you must be seeking some anecdotal personalized information: What does a particular willing responder to your questions think?  I'm willing to answer a question or two.

No worries, check your inbox.
I think Recusent's post gets my concerns exactly.

Gilmore Rabens

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Gilmore Rabens"I appreciate the need for honesty and openness, Chris, and I'm glad you value it too. However you're asking me to tell you which college I go to, and some people would be a little bit uncomfortable giving that kind of personal information on an online forum. I'm sure you can respect that.
I can understand not giving out your university if you're using your real name. I ask the question because in the past we have been abused by people who make exactly the claims you do and turn out to be undercover theists who get part of their qualifications by having to submit posts to atheist forums. And it happens around this time of year. Call me paranoid  :)

I hear that. No worries.

Gilmore Rabens

Quote from: "Whitney"What is the essay going to be used for?

It's just an essay, I'm not planning on doing else anything with it. Not that I'd know how to even if I did.

Recusant

Quote from: TankI ask the question because in the past we have been abused by people who make exactly the claims you do and turn out to be undercover theists who get part of their qualifications by having to submit posts to atheist forums. And it happens around this time of year. Call me paranoid  :hide:

Meh, even if this were the case (which the OP has informed me privately it is not), I'm willing to answer a question or two.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Whitney

It's just an essay, I'm not planning on doing else anything with it. Not that I'd know how to even if I did.

So you are writing a formal essay but it's not for a class, article etc?

Gilmore Rabens

Quote from: "Whitney"

So you are writing a formal essay but it's not for a class, article etc?

Yes it's just for my course. If I was a better writer than I am, I might consider publishing it somewhere (if it goes well), but alas I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe one day in the future, if I become a bit better at writing, I might think about it. Do you know anything about how to get an essay published?