News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's Civility on HAF?

Started by Will, February 09, 2011, 11:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

We've had some very interesting and perhaps spirited discussions recently, and I wanted to just clarify something so that we're all on the same page.

The first rule here on the Happy Atheist Forum is about civility.
QuoteCIVILITY: To maintain a happy and productive forum atmosphere, members are to remember the importance of civility by striving to comply with the forums conduct guidelines.
Civility on a forum like this one has to do with our social contract, particularly the practical application of the golden rule. We have people  with a wide variety of world views coming together in one place to have open discussions, so there's bound to be friction now and again, but at the end of the day people like to be treated with a base level of respect. All people. As a hypothetical example, if you're not okay with someone making a blanket statement about your beliefs being bullshit, it follows that you calling someone else's beliefs bullshit would be an instance of dishing what one can't take.

A problem that can arise from this is when people have a different threshold, but we deal with this every day in real life. Use the same judgement.

I want you to have fun and feel free to have spirited discussions about any number of topics, but remember in discussion that this is a community and civility serves the whole as well as individuals.

Thanks!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

terranus

Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Asmodean

if you're not okay with someone making a blanket statement about your beliefs being bullshit, it follows that you calling someone else's beliefs bullshit would be an instance of dishing what one can't take

Even if you ARE ok with blanketing, using it on others can be seen as... Provocative.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

LARA

Will, I want to try to respectfully point out that this post is extremely vague.  I think it would be handy to note which spirited conversations you might be referring to.  I am wondering because I tend to allow myself some leeway for humor value, don't really know if others value it or not, just trying to make someone laugh really...If I'm the offender, I am requesting that you and any hurt parties just let me know directly.

As an Atheist, my personal weapon against religion is to satirize, exaggerate and poke fun at it, because enough contrary evidence has already been given ad naseum. Either we accept that this evidence is real, or all bets are off and any one person's imagination is just as good as any others.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "LARA"Will, I want to try to respectfully point out that this post is extremely vague.  I think it would be handy to note which spirited conversations you might be referring to.  I am wondering because I tend to allow myself some leeway for humor value, don't really know if others value it or not, just trying to make someone laugh really...If I'm the offender, I am requesting that you and any hurt parties just let me know directly.

As an Atheist, my personal weapon against religion is to satirize, exaggerate and poke fun at it, because enough contrary evidence has already been given ad naseum. Either we accept that this evidence is real, or all bets are off and any one person's imagination is just as good as any others.

I think you're probably being paranoid, and I liked the Thai Buddhist thread.
I think the civility thing came up because of this thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6813&p=103573#p103573, and possibly the Asmodean thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6851
And there was the farewell thread for Existentialist.

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I think the civility thing came up because of this thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6813&p=103573#p103573, and possibly the Asmodean thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6851
Yeah... Pin all the evils on HAF on poor little Asmodean..!  :idea:

Oh! Right... Carry on  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I think the civility thing came up because of this thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6813&p=103573#p103573, and possibly the Asmodean thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6851
Yeah... Pin all the evils on HAF on poor little Asmodean..!  :idea:

Oh! Right... Carry on  :D

I think you're missing a "bya ha ha ha," perhaps you could practice it for next time..

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I think you're missing a "bya ha ha ha," perhaps you could practice it for next time..
Hmm...  :hmm:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I think you're missing a "bya ha ha ha," perhaps you could practice it for next time..
Hmm...  :hmm:

A combination of those, possibly accompanied by an angle grinder scratch mix would be novel.

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"A combination of those, possibly accompanied by an angle grinder scratch mix would be novel.
:idea:

MWIIIHIHIHIHIHAHOOOO..?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Will

Quote from: "LARA"Will, I want to try to respectfully point out that this post is extremely vague.  I think it would be handy to note which spirited conversations you might be referring to.  I am wondering because I tend to allow myself some leeway for humor value, don't really know if others value it or not, just trying to make someone laugh really...If I'm the offender, I am requesting that you and any hurt parties just let me know directly.

You were not in any way the inspiration for my post. What I'm saying is vague because for the vast, vast majority of HAF users, I trust your judgement. This is just a reminder to remember to use your good judgment. If you honestly think a post is civil, odds are you're right.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LARA

Will wrote:
QuoteYou were not in any way the inspiration for my post. What I'm saying is vague because for the vast, vast majority of HAF users, I trust your judgement.

Thanks for the clarification Will.  :blush:  Seems I need to adjust my sensitivity a bit here.  Wish it had a handy dial or something.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

karadan

I've been away for a while. Did i miss something other than the obligatory markuze nonsense?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

curiosityandthecat

Remember, being civil does not mean relinquishing your sense of humor.  ;)

-Curio

Alchemidas

Being civil just means putting your point across without resorting to calling someone a naughty word, right?  ;)