News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Amicale means friendly! Hi there!

Started by Amicale, January 19, 2012, 03:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Ahem. *clears throat, starts to sing*

I was walking along, looking for new folks
When out of blue-coloured forum
Flash! Bam! Alacazam!
I found happy atheists with decorum...

I was walking along drinking in new posts
When out of an idea-laced hue
Flash! Bam! Alacazam!
I met you, you and youuuuu.....

:D Hey, everyone! First off, sincere apologies to Mr. Nat King Cole for no doubt butchering one his catchiest tunes! Second of all, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a woman in my mid to late 20s, a Canadian (America's hat), and I'm trained as a teacher, both for secondary school (subjects: History, English) and ESL as well. At the moment I'm working my behind off tutoring, editing, etc... but I'm also looking for work that isn't just temp work (aren't we all!).

In terms of what I'm interested in: cats, coffee, reading, photography, biking, listening to music of all kinds, spending time with friends (while drinking coffee -- did I mention that already??) and, of course, learning as much as I can about a wide variety of subjects.

Which brings me to why I joined: I'm your typical friendly neighborhood humanist. I've studied several different religions although I'm very familiar with Christianity, mostly due to my own background. I'm a huge lover of philosophy in general, and above all, I believe that I need to extend care, consideration, respect and a friendly attitude to the people around me. I wanted to join an internet community that was fairly diverse and open minded, but also one that discusses philosophical ideas surrounding belief, religion, and the lack thereof.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, and talking with you!
Cheers!
- Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

McQ

Welcome, Amicale and thanks for the intro. Hope you find yourself at home here.

And we'll overlook the hatchet job on the song.  ;D

(no, it was entertaining, really).

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

The Magic Pudding

Thanks for the effort you put into that song it was great.
But do you think next time you could use more body language, put a bit of animation into the act.
"Flash! Bam! Alacazam!"  I think you could jump high for that and spread your arms wide in a welcoming gesture.
The "I found happy atheists with decorum..." bit was a bit flat but I'm sure you can fix that.
And your outfit, do you have anything with more spangles?

Anyway welcome, I look forward to many more performances from you.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Amicale. I studied some French long ago, and don't remember enough of it to survive on a francophone environment, but I still like the sound of that language. I also share your interest in history, though not in a professional capacity.  ;)

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Too Few Lions

welcome to the forum Amicale, great intro

Guardian85

Welconme to the forum.
Please stop singing!  ;) 

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Hi Amicale

I think you're gonna fit right in!

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Traveler

Hello and welcome aboard!!! I, too, like cats. :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 19, 2012, 11:26:04 AM
Welconme to the forum.
Please stop singing!  ;) 

There's been a lot of that lately -- soon we're going to turn into the Singing Atheist Forum.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Anyway, I also love cats, reading (hence my user name) and photography.  And I wanted to mention that there are a number of good photographers on this site, and a thread for posting any photos that you'd like to share.  Well worth a look as you're getting used to the place.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ali

Wow!  Great intro!  Next time can we get a dance number as well?

Welcome!  I think you're going to be FUN!    ;D

Amicale

Quote from: The Magic PuddingBut do you think next time you could use more body language, put a bit of animation into the act.

Quote from: Ali on January 19, 2012, 04:42:42 PM
  Next time can we get a dance number as well?

Ask and ye shall receive!

;D

Seriously... Thank you VERY much, everyone, for the warm welcomes! I think I'll fit right in here, too! Methinks I found some kindred people.

Whether or not you ought to be scared is up to you!  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Great! Now she's added dancing kitties...
:-\
Worst part is, they're pretty cute...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-