News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

HELLO

Started by alswiader, April 10, 2011, 09:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alswiader

Hey everybody.
I have been an atheist my whole life. Well, since I was able to comprehend social stats. I know I will be atheist for the rest of my life. I know my wife will be atheist and our kids will be atheist too. I see it as our duty to spread knowledge of our understanding. Understanding of everything. We are far outnumbered by unreasonable people who ignore the facts about our universe, and conform to meaningless illusions while humanity continues to suffer next door. It's obvious they aren't getting anywhere. In fact, they are stuck in overdrive pointed in the opposite direction. They'd rather rage war with other religions instead of opening a text book to see we are all the same. The ignorance, violence, and blind determination inherited within all religions is a mockery to humanity and this generation. These are dangerous people. That is why I already fear for my future family that doesn't even exist yet. Until the strength of every atheist matches that of every blinded "soul", we will continuously be condemned, shadowed, and forced into hiding. I'm sure we all fore see the great war approaching. A war that we are proud to be separate from, but a global war nonetheless. Our only hope is in numbers. Day by day more people are beginning to understand. Not only do they understand science, but they also understand that being wrong is okay. It's the one thing that will save this world, beyond everything else. The more you embrace atheism the more you embrace humanity. Give up your imaginary afterlife for the real one you're living now. Simple as that.
Thank you. I look forward to discussing more with all of you.

sillyseal

Welcome alswiader  :)  Regarding your post, I think the general ignorance in all of us that manifests itself in many ways is as dangerous as religious ignorance. I definitely understand you as I am an atheist, also, but I really don’t see myself very separated from the rest of humanity, although I do notice significant distinctions at times. Anyway, as I said, welcome, and I also look forward to learning about all points of views including yours.

Tank

Hello alswiader

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Hi there,

While I definitely have no belief in god(s) or a conventional definition of an afterlife, I don't know that I would consider myself as militant against religion as you appear to be. But I look forward to hearing more about what you have to say.  :D

Cheers!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Cecilie

Hello and welcome.
The world's what you create.

missedtheboat

Welcome to the forum! :)

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hollyda

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Twentythree

What you have just written sounds a lot like fundamentalist extremism. I am fascinated by the evolutionary value of religious thought and one of the more exciting types of religious thought is extremism. If you look closely at what you have written, you will see that you are only different from other religious fundamentalists by way of your definition of god. This is a great place to explore this notion and I look forward to continuing this conversation soon.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20atheist

alswiader

Thank you everyone for welcoming me. I am happy to recieve your constructive criticism. I agree with many, if not, all points you bring up about my stance as an atheist. I am definetly intolerant to all forms of religion because I see them doing more harm to hummanity than good. This is partially based on evidence and extremeism. I rarely speak about my beliefs, but when I do, it's hard not to be extreme. I fall into the same state of emotion that radicals experience and feed off of. Only my close friends and I debate about religious doctrine, evolutionary theory, and philosophy. This is the first time writing about my beliefs. I guess you could say that I write how I speak. In regards to my evangenlical atheism position, I am doing exactly what religious evangelicals do. I am portraying a fearful world in order for others to react. That is wrong and I will work on it, but does anyone agree with me in the slightest? Religion = control. Atheism = no control. We exist outside of these influencing institutions. That fundamental thought isn't anything to think about unless you are part of those institutions. They carry inherent fear and hatred towards us. No matter how much we want to change that they will still react inhuman towards us. That is what I fear. A world of haters, and we all know "haters gonna hate". The more we try to influence their decision, the farther we get from what we want, peace. I guess I don't know what exactly an atheist does. That's one reason I'm on here. I sometimes view atheists as silent types because there isn't much to talk about. There is no god, the end. On the other hand, do we have a power comprebal to theists? eg. Conformity, preaching of truth, and state influences. If we unify all our knowledge in order to speak our truth to influence proper policy, will we live in a safer world? Just something I've been thinking about. I've always been an inactive atheist because there was no reason to speak out. However, I am older and wiser of religious impact on this world. If I'm not silent, I'd better be active and "preach" the right message. Sounds weird, I know, but what else should an atheist do? what else can an atheist do?

alswiader

on a separate note, how do I spell check? I'd like to just push a button instead of opening MSword to correct my stuff. I'm sure you noticed my grammer and spelling sucks. please *bear* with me. I'm not perfect.

Also, I am assuming I don't have access to posting in other topics because of my status. Is this true? How do post to topics other than the introduction one?

Davin

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Firefox can do spell checking automagically, I think Chrome does as well, don't know if any others do.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: "alswiader"on a separate note, how do I spell check? I'd like to just push a button instead of opening MSword to correct my stuff. I'm sure you noticed my grammer and spelling sucks. please *bear* with me. I'm not perfect.

Also, I am assuming I don't have access to posting in other topics because of my status. Is this true? How do post to topics other than the introduction one?
You need to use a browser that has a spell checker. Firefox has one as an add on, unless they have added it in V4
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Quote from: "Tank"You need to use a browser that has a spell checker. Firefox has one as an add on, unless they have added it in V4

I think it is included by default now because I don't remember having to download a spell checker add on when I set up my last two computers.