News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Hello everyone!

Started by Amnesiac2389, July 08, 2010, 10:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amnesiac2389

My name is Cassie, I'm 20 years old and I'm an atheist. I joined because I live in South Carolina, a place where it is very difficult to speak about anything other than religion. The only person that I know who shares my beliefs is my boyfriend of two years. Even though I'm going to college, almost everyone that I meet there is super religious. It's a bit disheartening thinking you are part of a very very small minority in your community. I'm looking forward to being able to speak my mind for once.

pinkocommie

Welcome to the forum!  My fiancé grew up in Goose Creek, SC and he's told me some stories that make my wee atheist toes curl.   :)
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

The Black Jester

Welcome!  I have relatives in SC, I know whereof you speak...or don't speak, as is probably more prudent.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Tank

Hi Cassie

Welcome aboard. It's my experience after a few years on these forums that there are more atheists out there and around you than you think there are because, like you, most are keeping a low profile.

Welcome aboard

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Atlantis

Mm... I'll be so glad when atheism stops being a bad word. When we kill the stereotypes and break the boundaries we can get so much more done....

Hi, Cassie, I'm new here, too and I was a closet atheist the year of 2007. When I finally did start talking to people about it, though, I found they were more open and curious to the idea than I thought they would be. I even found another non-believer in my workplace which was such a relief! Hope things get better for you. :)
"For even if the whole world believed in resurrection, little would change until we began to practice it. We can believe in CPR, but people will remain dead until someone breathes new life into them. And we can tell the world that there is life after death, but the world really seems to be wondering if there is life before death."
Shane Claibor

Cecilie

Hi Cassie. Welcome to HAF.
The world's what you create.

donnaj8887

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !