News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Scientific milestones

Started by myleviathan, December 04, 2007, 03:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myleviathan

Our level of conciousness to the universe, although great to us, must be SO limited compared to the reality beyond what the human mind can grasp at this point in time. I wonder what the next greatest scientific milestones will be.

Theology, and ideas about life after death propose to fill in the gaps of our incomplete understanding. But if the brain dies, so do all the memories of experiences stored there. They only live on in the minds of our offspring, and others we have contact with. This is the only possible life after death in my opinion. Unless of course one allows the existence of a soul as an additional, and invisible storage medium for memories and experiences. But there just isn't any reason to believe this besides the weak-minded longing to live on and on, thus thwarting death somehow.

Humans create and define meaning through language. And then we pass that meaning to others through the vehicle of language. That's life everlasting. Language, and the telling of stories is the basis for both theology and science. Now that the scientific pursuit is fully established, what do you guys think will be the next greatest scientific milestones? Didn't think I'd bring it full circle, did you?

Sorry this post was mostly rant.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

SteveS

Great scientific achievements?  Here's a few I'm eagerly anticipating:

1) Beyond the big bang - what (if anything) was the universe like before it?  Is the universe cyclical?

2) Abiogenesis - a complete and compelling explanation/demonstration of how life originated (on earth - or on some other planet, getting to earth through space).

3) Brain Science - too many things to count.  An understanding of what consciousness is and how it functions, better prediction of future human behavior, true criminal rehabilitation, etc. etc. etc.

4) Genetic Engineering/Manipulation - I don't know if this would be science or applied science, but the ability to correct diseases and/or make people immune through alteration of the genetic material would transform our lives.

5) Transhumanism - can I live forever?  Clone myself and download my memories into younger bodies as I go?

These are the things at the front of my mind.

At the back of my mind I wonder, "can we ever build the perfect sex robot?".  :wink:

pjkeeley

Quote1) Beyond the big bang - what (if anything) was the universe like before it? Is the universe cyclical?
On that subject I thought this video I watched recently was rather good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq2ajlBUtmQ

Myself: frankly, I worry. Not about what science will tell us in the future (as the religiously inclined might) but about how it will be applied. I worry that our technological advances are speeding far ahead of the generations of cultural development necessary to come to terms with the social changes they will bring about. Also, in my belief, many of the 'conveniences' we experience and are yet to experience thanks to scientific advancement are truly making our lives more mundane and reducing the diversity of phenomena that make many of our life experiences worthwhile and interesting (as well as making us dependent and lazy). It is complicated, but, in short, the less we have to *do* for ourselves, the less fullfilling life will become, and I'm not just talking about reducing the amount we have to work, which I'm all for. (for more insights into my views on this, read my posts on idleness and my thread about transhumanism.)

Anyway that's me. I'm a worrier. And I expect to be flamed for this post by the many technophiles on this forum, who seem to outnumber me. Sigh.

donkeyhoty

The last thing the Illuminati want is people with less work to do and more time to think... a revolution might occur.

Nah, I'm kidding.  There's no Illuminati.... or is there?

And, where's the flying cars and colonies on mars that the old-timey sci-fi promised us?
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

McQ

Quote from: "pjkeeley"
Quote1) Beyond the big bang - what (if anything) was the universe like before it? Is the universe cyclical?
On that subject I thought this video I watched recently was rather good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq2ajlBUtmQ

Myself: frankly, I worry. Not about what science will tell us in the future (as the religiously inclined might) but about how it will be applied. I worry that our technological advances are speeding far ahead of the generations of cultural development necessary to come to terms with the social changes they will bring about. Also, in my belief, many of the 'conveniences' we experience and are yet to experience thanks to scientific advancement are truly making our lives more mundane and reducing the diversity of phenomena that make many of our life experiences worthwhile and interesting (as well as making us dependent and lazy). It is complicated, but, in short, the less we have to *do* for ourselves, the less fullfilling life will become, and I'm not just talking about reducing the amount we have to work, which I'm all for. (for more insights into my views on this, read my posts on idleness and my thread about transhumanism.)

Anyway that's me. I'm a worrier. And I expect to be flamed for this post by the many technophiles on this forum, who seem to outnumber me. Sigh.

No flame here, pj. You hit on a worry of mine as well. Application of scientific discovery, not the discoveries themselves.

Although I would have to be in the camp of pro-transhumanism (but not in the same way as most stated transhumanists), I worry about applications of technologies for exactly the same reasons you stated. And with good reason, if the history of humans is any indication of what lies ahead (and it is).
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

Quote from: "pjkeeley"And I expect to be flamed for this post
Okay.  You're a grouchy pessimist!

Quote from: "McQ"I worry about applications of technologies for exactly the same reasons you stated.
And you too!

:wink:   (I'm just joshing you guys of course - you raise valid concerns - I always wondered if a certain amount of religious resurgence isn't caused by the fact that people are surrounded by technology that they don't really understand - isn't it just magic for a lot of folks?)

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"And, where's the flying cars and colonies on mars that the old-timey sci-fi promised us?
Good freakin' question!  I want my flying car, and I want it now.  I hate traffic jams.  And I want to vacation on Mars.  'Cause that would be cool.  I want a luxury space-liner cruise to Jupiter - sipping a cold beer from orbit watching the great storm swirl.  Or maybe a cruise to see the rings of Saturn....

McQ

Quote from: "SteveS"
Quote from: "pjkeeley"And I expect to be flamed for this post
Okay.  You're a grouchy pessimist!

Quote from: "McQ"I worry about applications of technologies for exactly the same reasons you stated.
And you too!

:wink:   (I'm just joshing you guys of course - you raise valid concerns - I always wondered if a certain amount of religious resurgence isn't caused by the fact that people are surrounded by technology that they don't really understand - isn't it just magic for a lot of folks?)

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"And, where's the flying cars and colonies on mars that the old-timey sci-fi promised us?
Good freakin' question!  I want my flying car, and I want it now.  I hate traffic jams.  And I want to vacation on Mars.  'Cause that would be cool.  I want a luxury space-liner cruise to Jupiter - sipping a cold beer from orbit watching the great storm swirl.  Or maybe a cruise to see the rings of Saturn....

Well, really.....just as long as there is still beer (real beer, not American "light beer" pisswater), I'm OK with whatever comes down the road.

In fact, maybe I'll try working beer into my theory of transhumanism. SteveS, you can be the special hops consultant!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

Quote from: "McQ"SteveS, you can be the special hops consultant!
Ah!  A position I would gladly accept.  Pity there's a worldwide hops shortage right now.  My first order of business would be to ramp up production!

Quote from: "McQ"(real beer, not American "light beer" pisswater)
Yeah - I like to call that stuff "mega-swill".  :wink:  It sucks.