News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Neophobia

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 06, 2018, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

...or fear of the new.

My grandparents are visiting, both over 80 years old, and I noticed that while my grandmother does not seem to have an aversion to change and new ways of doing things my grandfather does. Oh boy.  ::)

For instance, my grandmother was given a used smartphone by one of her friends and does my grandfather have anything good to say about the technology? Nada. He belittles her, telling her that she will never learn how to use it, and such devices are basically tools of the devil (he is a fanatical Adventist). She fights back and tells him that nowadays portable computers are everything, and he responds with some comment that the world is going to hell, that kids these days can't seem to unglue their eyes from their screens and that people don't really talk to each other anymore. 

While there may be some truth to that, it's not like the past seemed to be some golden age in which everybody treated everybody else exceptionally well and everybody was happy.

Anyway, of the two grandparents he is the more fanatical, more deeply steeped in his beliefs. In fact, he is so sure of his worldview and intolerant of others that he even refused to enter a cathedral when we visited a small touristy town a couple of days ago. As the years pass he becomes even more religious, but hypocritical at the same time. I find this type of behaviour interesting, but don't fully understand it.

Any insight from my fellow HAFers? I am interested to read your thoughts on neophobia, especially in senior citizens.   :bigspecs:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Dunno about neophobia but some of them religious types are certainly technophobes or something! I did some work for a fsmily company that were membersbof a rdligious group of done dort ghst firbade them using computers (but OK if I used mine to do their graphic work), they used manual typewriters for text stuff.

But they had a high end, all singing and dancing, (with bells, whistles, drums and hooters) colour Xerox copier/scanner/ production laser printer colater that probably had more computing power than my laptop and smartphone combined! And they used it just as a photocopier...
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Are these the grand parents on your mothers side or fathers side?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on January 06, 2018, 09:07:47 PM
Dunno about neophobia but some of them religious types are certainly technophobes or something! I did some work for a fsmily company that were membersbof a rdligious group of done dort ghst firbade them using computers (but OK if I used mine to do their graphic work), they used manual typewriters for text stuff.

:lol: Who uses typewriters anymore?

QuoteBut they had a high end, all singing and dancing, (with bells, whistles, drums and hooters) colour Xerox copier/scanner/ production laser printer colater that probably had more computing power than my laptop and smartphone combined! And they used it just as a photocopier...

Oh the wasted potential!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2018, 09:09:10 PM

Mother's side.

Dave

Y'know, I read my last post twice and still missed a load of typos! It's some sort of hand eye thing when using one hand, I find mysrlf hitting the wrong key even when trying to correct! Earlier, using two hands on the laptop keyboard there was no problem.

12 typos in the uncorrected above whilst actually watching my finger's every movement. 6 typos in that sentence, 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on January 06, 2018, 09:25:10 PM
Y'know, I read my last post twice and still missed a load of typos! It's some sort of hand eye thing when using one hand, I find mysrlf hitting the wrong key even when trying to correct! Earlier, using two hands on the laptop keyboard there was no problem.

12 typos in the uncorrected above whilst actually watching my finger's every movement. 6 typos in that sentence,  :shrug:

It's still understandable though. :grin:

Dave

Yet my proprioception and normal tool using hand-eye coordination (I can hit the right nail with the hammer) are still very good...

:shrug:

Back on thread: I am a neophile, definitely! More technotoys! More gadgets! Gimme, gimme!

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 09:12:02 PM

Mother's side.
What are your fathers side grand parents like?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on January 06, 2018, 09:34:20 PM
Yet my proprioception and normal tool using hand-eye coordination (I can hit the right nail with the hammer) are still very good...

:shrug:

Back on thread: I am a neophile, definitely! More technotoys! More gadgets! Gimme, gimme!

:lol: You definitely seem to like your toys! :P

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2018, 09:34:39 PM

Mother's side.

Both are Catholics, but without the fanaticism. They just go to mass every other Sunday. My paternal grandfather is 93 and still lucid but was never really into technology but doesn't seem to oppose it either, at least not nearly as fervently as my maternal grandfather. My grandmother is a little younger but since she is not as lucid (starting stages of Alzheimer's perhaps) so she doesn't do much these days. A few years ago however she had her own desktop computer and would write emails every now and then.

I don't have that much contact with both sets of grandparents, as they live more than a 1000 kms away so I don't really know very much about these details of their lives and what they think. We don't even communicate much by phone or email. I visit every 5 years or so.

I was a little shocked when my maternal grandfather aired his thoughts but at the same time not too surprised, if that makes sense.

Dave

^
QuoteI was a little shocked when my maternal grandfather aired his thoughts but at the same time not too surprised, if that makes sense.

If you mean "..not surprised that he had such views but shocked that he aired them..." that works. Having opinions and the unkind, unethical, undiplomatic or tactless expression of them are two very different things!

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 09:51:32 PM

Mother's side.

Both are Catholics, but without the fanaticism. They just go to mass every other Sunday. My paternal grandfather is 93 and still lucid but was never really into technology but doesn't seem to oppose it either, at least not nearly as fervently as my maternal grandfather. My grandmother is a little younger but since she is not as lucid (starting stages of Alzheimer's perhaps) so she doesn't do much these days. A few years ago however she had her own desktop computer and would write emails every now and then.

I don't have that much contact with both sets of grandparents, as they live more than a 1000 kms away so I don't really know very much about these details of their lives and what they think. We don't even communicate much by phone or email. I visit every 5 years or so.

I was a little shocked when my maternal grandfather aired his thoughts but at the same time not too surprised, if that makes sense.

You come from a long-lived family.  You'll probably make it to 100.

Icarus

I am a crotchety old bastard who is not averse to the incredible digital tools that we now have . My wife has an I phone, I pad, powerful PC and such.  I am amazed and appreciative that she not only has, but uses to advantage, those remarkable tools. She is an E-by power seller and makes a fair profit from her efforts that are made possible by the internet.

On the other hand, two days ago, a local eleven year old, girl piano prodigy, was walking home from her music school. She had earbuds  in her ears and was looking down at her I phone. She was walking across a railroad track on her way home.  The train conductor  at 70 MPH, blew his whistle and applied the brakes to the train. Too late.  This promising, and innocent, little girl did not respond.    The little girl is now very dead, thanks to the dedication to her digitally miraculous implements.

There is good and bad with the digital world.  The kids in my world spend more time with their "devices" than is healthy. But then there is a great deal of positive output with the devices.  Meanwhile I get to indulge in some interesting and informative discourse with my friends at HAF and a few other forums. 

Digital capacities are a mixed bag of blessings or horrors. The digital new world is bewildering and dangerous and immensely valuable at the same time. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 06, 2018, 10:30:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 09:51:32 PM

Mother's side.

You come from a long-lived family.  You'll probably make it to 100.

I hope not! My great-grandmother (paternal grandmother's side) died about 8 years ago, around that age. She had advanced Alzheimer's when she did. A sad end.