News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Fun Science Videos

Started by Sandra Craft, December 01, 2015, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

^^^ I hope at least this one wasn't mistaken for a UFO like the LA one was.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

joeactor

Gotta give Musk points for style... Watching the live feed of the car in space.

Davin

I liked the "Don't Panic" on the car's display.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

^^Someone had a keen sense of humor..

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on April 09, 2018, 01:22:25 PM
Quote from: Dave on April 09, 2018, 01:10:31 PM
https://youtu.be/2L0ZHxcoWhM

Some things to get to entertain my grandsons in the future.
Wondering if it is possible to make a "bouncer".

1. Stiffen the copper wire* before turning it into a spring making it slightly longer than the battery plus magnets with the "top" end bent across the diameter to make contact with the battery's positive end. To stiffen the wire first clamp one end somehow (in a vice, under a screw head), winding the wire once round a screwdriver as near to the clamp as you can get then (wearing work gloves) pull a bit on the free end with pliers and then pull the screwdiver toward you so the wire has to "slide round it", do not let the screwdriver rotate. This work hardens and "stretches" the wire on one side encouraging it to coil. Do this twice for extra hardness/coiliness.

2. Assemble a 2p coin (copper allow coated steel) or plated steel "penny" washer, mangets and battery positive up. The coin/washer forms the negative contact for the coil.

3. Hot melt glue or Bluetack magnets to end of coil with bend, this acts as a coul compression load. However, if the coil magnets are in oposition to the bottom ones, N to N say, they may help the action by giving added "lift", but the coil may end up floating. If the magnets attract it may not bounce or the coil may need to be adjusted longer. The strength and weight of the coil magnets will also enter the equation.

4. Hold coil, its nagnets up, over battery and drop.

5. Adjust the coil to ensure that, as it compresses, the bent end touches the positive pimple.

*Suitable wire (in the UK anyway) can be got from mains house wiring cable. I'm going for 1.5mm diameter.

From the formula F=BIL the force on the coil will equal the product of the magnetic field strength, the length of wire in the field and the current through that wire. One of the few formulas I remember from my City and Guilds course in 1973! So, the more turns the merrier, but leave room for a bit of compression!

joeactor

hermes2015

This one is old, but still good. It's by my heroes Ray and Charles Eames, who, apart from designing some of the best furniture of the last century, were also brilliant communicators.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 09, 2018, 03:22:04 PM
This one is old, but still good. It's by my heroes Ray and Charles Eames, who, apart from designing some of the best furniture of the last century, were also brilliant communicators.

Just shows we are a bunch of specks forming a speck that lives on a speck in a bigger bunch of specks . . . . . . .

joeactor

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 09, 2018, 03:22:04 PM

... a fave of mine...

Biggus Dickus

That's a kool video Joe...reminds me of this one.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

joeactor