News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What Atheists think about Homosexuality?

Started by OhCheese, August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 24, 2011, 12:07:14 AM
That what drives me mad. How religious people think being gay is a choice.

Another misguided preconceived notion.  Being gay is not a choice (however I cannot discount that certainly there are a few that choose to be gay) 

Sweetdeath

Every religious person i've met has preached people "choose" to be gay, therefore choose to "sin" and end up in "hell."  :-[
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 24, 2011, 05:43:45 AM
Every religious person i've met has preached people "choose" to be gay, therefore choose to "sin" and end up in "hell."  :-[

Let's put a number to that "Every religious person..."

I'd say you've not met the majority of Christians and therefore cannot broad-stroke Christians with such ignorant thinking.  I acknowledge that the few that scream the loudest make these kinds of points, but again just because they are the loudest, doesn't mean they speak for the whole.

Medusa

Most Christians will differentiate choice with born this way thinking. They may believe you had no choice in your sexual orientation. But they will say you have choice in your actions (and therefore your choice to sin or not).
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 23, 2011, 11:01:07 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 15, 2011, 11:26:57 PM
Quote from: Evilbeagle on August 15, 2011, 10:53:36 AM
Sexuality in any of its forms has nothing to do (imho) with Atheism.
What two (or more) consenting adults do in their own privacy has nothing to do with me.

Im too busy trying to get on with my life to be bothered about other people's lives.

Exactly.  if only the jesus blowers felt this way. ;)

Many "jesus blowers" do.  It could be that you and others simply believe/hear the loud crowd over the silent many and assume all are the same.

For once, I agree completely with your statement here, AD.

Please understand, though, that it's not just that we hear that loud crowd over the silent many - it's that the loud crowd are the ones in power. The loud crowd preaches to the silent many and the silent many continue to allow them to do it, and pay them rather well to do it.  Maybe if the silent ones would speak up, this all would be a non-issue.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 24, 2011, 05:48:53 AM

I'd say you've not met the majority of Christians and therefore cannot broad-stroke Christians with such ignorant thinking.  I acknowledge that the few that scream the loudest make these kinds of points, but again just because they are the loudest, doesn't mean they speak for the whole.
I think you're probably right. The loud crowd get the headlines because that sells media time/space.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

For the new people here there is a more achademic discussion on homesexuality in the science forum http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7711.0
The nature/nurture debate is represented diagramatically here http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7711.msg118343#msg118343
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DaemonWulf

While not a definitive number, I'd say that was a fair limit.
So I wonder this, as life billows smoke inside my head; this little game where nothing is sure... why would you play by the rules? - Dave Matthews

Davin

Quote from: DaemonWulf on August 24, 2011, 07:37:21 PM

While not a definitive number, I'd say that was a fair limit.
The irony of the this, is that AnimatedDirt is having a problem with generalizations. I've had many discussions with AnimatedDirt where he's used many generalizations about me and atheists. There may be a lesson here for AnimatedDirt: seeing how much he likes being generalized might enlighten him to refrain from doing the same to others in the future.

General. I just had to say it one more time.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on August 24, 2011, 08:09:45 PM
The irony of the this, is that AnimatedDirt is having a problem with generalizations. I've had many discussions with AnimatedDirt where he's used many generalizations about me and atheists. There may be a lesson here for AnimatedDirt: seeing how much he likes being generalized might enlighten him to refrain from doing the same to others in the future.

General. I just had to say it one more time.

Point taken.  :)  I'll try and remember this.  Thx.

palebluedot

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/klXUOM4wtT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OhCheese on August 05, 2011, 11:02:32 PM
I am very very proud of my homosexuality but there is A LOT of things I don't like it in homosexual community.

I can't say I'm proud of being bisexual, anymore than I'm proud of having freckles or a tendency to sneeze first thing in the morning but I do understand the point of not being ashamed of those things either.  Having grown up among conservative Xtians I think I must have gotten lucky to have missed that part of the indoctrination (perhaps because I was also a very late bloomer, or because I had other things to worry about).  I can't say the same for one of my aunts, tho, who has always been tormented by the idea that her sexuality is sinful, despite having joined a relatively liberal church as a young adult.

I can also understand not liking how some people behave but really, ever seen a Mardi Gras?  This kind of acting up or acting out seems to me a human thing, not a sexuality thing.  I don't like it either and in fact there are a number of sexual things having nothing to do with orientation that I find repugnant (S/M for one), but I find them very easy to avoid, and I have no trouble finding friends just as vanilla as I am.

In any case, I'm on the live and let live side as long as there are no consent issues involved.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Too Few Lions

just read that Iran's recently executed three gay mean for 'forbidden acts against religion'  >:( lest we forget how unpleasant some religions are in their views on homosexuality...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/gay-men-hanged_n_951162.html

Sweetdeath

*sighs* ....  Can't wait until those barbaric cultures cease to exist..
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 08, 2011, 04:59:25 PM
*sighs* ....  Can't wait until those barbaric cultures cease to exist..

What is sad, is these things happen in the middle east because they can. I can't tell you how many times this very idea was discussed and even endorsed by devout Xtians at the churches I grew up in. I heard a nazerene minister say that homosexuals should be put to death for their actions in the same breath he talked about forgiveness and love thy neighbor. Hypocritical bastards.

I attended a nazerene church as a teenager where the teen sunday school teacher raped one of his female students in the church, and the pastor protected him and it was swept under the rug. He claimed the man came to him, confessed his sin to him and was forgiven by god so no further punishment was needed. This was the same man who made the comment about executing gays. So what he is saying is, it's ok to rape a child, as long as she's female? And they wonder why people are leaving the churches.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg