News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.

Started by Tank, July 30, 2018, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Interesting that the discussion turned to ISO. Last night I was experimenting with night photography on the boat and it's amazing just how much of a difference raising the ISO makes. None of the photos I took will be shared here but at higher settings it almost looked like they were taken in daylight.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 08, 2018, 01:39:56 PM
Interesting that the discussion turned to ISO. Last night I was experimenting with night photography on the boat and it's amazing just how much of a difference raising the ISO makes. None of the photos I took will be shared here but at higher settings it almost looked like they were taken in daylight.

That's one of the interesting parts of photography: the fact that one never stops learning.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Please share the shit as well as the good stuff on this thread if it illustrates a technical aspect.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

[ ...] Last night I was experimenting with night photography on the boat and it's amazing just how much of a difference raising the ISO makes. None of the photos I took will be shared here . . .  [...]

Oh, that kind of night photography, eh?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on August 08, 2018, 02:25:06 PM
[ ...] Last night I was experimenting with night photography on the boat and it's amazing just how much of a difference raising the ISO makes. None of the photos I took will be shared here . . .  [...]

Oh, that kind of night photography, eh?

No wonder he doesn't want to share them! :rofl:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

It was traffic... not sure what you fellows are insinuating... I'll get something up later today.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 08, 2018, 03:26:20 PM
It was traffic... not sure what you fellows are insinuating... I'll get something up later today.

:o :rofl:

Dave

Dave

For Androids only:

Found Adobe Lightroom CC, free for basic version. Let's see what it can do . . .

Here is my last dragonfly image straignt from the camera:

Here it is with "Clarity" wound right up and a bit of "Haze" reduction:

Looks a bit sharper to me eyes, without too much degradation in other ways. Colour, contrast etc left as was.

Both transported via Photobucket.

jumbojak

Would a shallower depth of field be advantageous for your dragonflies, Dave? I think it might help with a bit of sharpness on the fly itself if the background was a bit more blurred. Then again, I'm the new guy and could be completely wrong...

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 08, 2018, 05:50:03 PM
Would a shallower depth of field be advantageous for your dragonflies, Dave? I think it might help with a bit of sharpness on the fly itself if the background was a bit more blurred. Then again, I'm the new guy and could be completely wrong...

Not sure . . . The adjustment of it, of course, has darkened the background a bit. The background immediately behind the beastie is about 6" from it, the picture was taken at 30x zoom, restricted max appeture,  from about 7-8 feet away. The breeze was moving the beastie and the twig a little.

All in all it was a bit of a toss-up which way to go! And no problems with putting your pennyworth in, JJ, you may spot something we miss, and I did mention the idea of using a shallow d-o-f to achieve fuzzy backgrounds to small objects, to reduce distraction, in a previous post.

BTW. On my lunch trip to town today I bought a 2nd hand book on macrophotography from my fave bookshop, £6 for a book, in new condition, that was £25 in 2004. In that the author admits to using artificial backgrounds to save distraction - but he is looking for photography-as-art rather than as a record of the natural world or for scientific purposes etc. The only annoying thing is he has not included listing the kit, speed, appeture etc for the shots.

The author John Brackenberry, is evidently a professional photographer, in 2004, who makes no mention if digital photography. The quality available then was obviously not sufficient for him. But the advice and "rules-of-thumb" for the speed/f No/ focal length compares to that given here. Except that he says that the shutter speed should be close to the focal length, egs 1/125th for 100mm, 1/250th for 300mm etc,  to reduce the effects of camera shake.

hermes2015

That looks good, Dave. Are you a bit happier now? Was it shot and processed in RAW? If not, you should try it and then process in Lightroom. Then you will find that the Clarity and Dehaze sliders do wonders. The  beauty of the background blur (bokeh) is a feature of the lens design, and some lenses give more pleasing bokeh than others.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Oh, I see now that it was the one you took with the old camera settings (I assume ISO 100). Are you going to try the settings I recommended earlier?
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 08, 2018, 07:27:51 PM
Oh, I see now that it was the one you took with the old camera settings (I assume ISO 100). Are you going to try the settings I recommended earlier?

Yup, that was taken on the Lumix at max zoom. I did use the cut down, free Android version of Lightroom to "clarify" and "dehaze" the second version.

I have never come accross "bokeh" before, thought you had mistyped "broken" until you repeated it!  :grin:  Another case of a foriegn word being used to replace a perfectly good English one but, I suppose, using "blur" in respect to the qualities of a photograph would needs qualifying so as not to be ambiguous.

Adobe also do a free app to "straighten" and clean up photographs taken of documents, removes minor keystoning and whitens the paper. But it only seems to save as a pdf so needs extra mucking about to produce an image.

Tank

This is a good example of bokeh. It was taken with my f2.8 100mm Minolta macro lens on slide and then scanned with a film scanner.