Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on October 20, 2019, 12:55:01 AM

that's the plan.

Balls of steel! Fastest I ever went on a motorcycle was 105, on my '68 Harley. That was when I was 20 and immortal. It was scary enough, especially as it was on a back country road (paved, of course).

billy rubin

no no

the balls of steel award goes to this guy who showed up one day when my machine was still in its early stages.

it's a 1950's ford 9N farm tractor with a an old ford flathead V8 installed, a period modification. those are boeing 747 front tires on it under the mudguards. he went 110 mph. originally it looked like this:

i came up later, and prayed please let me be faster than the tractor, please, please . . .

and i did 112, so i went home un-humiliated.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

:lol: I've driven and repaired 9N tractors (back in the '70s). I wouldn't drive one over the top speed that a stock tractor would make, and then only on flat level ground. Which, I guess the salt flats qualify as. Takes all kinds, I guess.

Bad Penny II

QuoteWho is to say that pleasure is useless

I don't know, you're confusing me. :unsure:

The definition of useful is that which leads to pleasure.

It is known.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 25, 2019, 01:29:35 PM

It is known.

It is known. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

It is known.

I'd say what is useful is what is beneficial, whether or not it's pleasurable.  Dentistry springs immediately to mind.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Sandra Craft on October 26, 2019, 02:25:34 AM

It is known.

I'd say what is useful is what is beneficial, whether or not it's pleasurable.  Dentistry springs immediately to mind.

Hmm, that's an interesting point.
Yet, if you think about it and if you're a right thinking person, you'll agree dentistry is useful insomuch as it enables the pleasure of pain free eating.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 26, 2019, 03:04:32 AM
Hmm, that's an interesting point.
Yet, if you think about it and if you're a right thinking person, you'll agree dentistry is useful insomuch as it enables the pleasure of pain free eating.

True, but there's often a lot of pain getting to that point so I think it's pretty much 6 of one and half dozen of the other.  And here's something weird, I know people who actually prefer to live with a painful tooth than go to the dentist.  It's not on point but I've always found that interesting.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Bad Penny II

Buddy

I'm three drinks in at this gay bar Halloween party and looking very cute. If I don't get kissed tonight I will be severely disappointed
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

hermes2015

Quote from: Buddy on October 27, 2019, 01:44:21 AM
I'm three drinks in at this gay bar Halloween party and looking very cute. If I don't get kissed tonight I will be severely disappointed

I think you should have been here in Johannesburg yesterday for the 2019 Gay Pride Festival.

It was sponsored by Mercedes-Benz South Africa.

Not my photos, because I did not make it this year.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

If you want it get it.

ETA: Just don't like, assault anybody...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on October 27, 2019, 04:39:05 AM

If you want it get it.

ETA: Just don't like, assault anybody...

There's a whole ritual involved in the mating dance one does in a gay bar. The eyes play an important part, and how one makes eye contact can mean the difference between sleeping alone or not that night. For a quicky, in the darkroom at the back it's more of a free for all.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Buddy

For the first time ever I made the first move. And it was awesome. I'll definitely have to use this costume next Halloween