News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

New Member, looking forward to this forum!

Started by Obii, July 31, 2010, 12:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obii

Hey Guys,

My story might be unique, it might not. I was taught under strict parents since birth that there is a God. I was a firm believer because of this. I was surrounded by Christians and even though I never, ever stopped asking questions, I guess I never really left the church due to family pressures. So, as you can guess, I turned 18, moved all the way across the country, and within a few days, I'm an agnostic, then a full-fledged atheist within a week or two. What an amazing feeling it is! The knowledge that I can now gain is unlimited, knowledge that I would have scorned because of religion. Sometimes, I feel as though I was always an atheist, I just wasn't ready to admit it. Perhaps I was scared to. I am 21 now, and even though I'm not at a point I would consider happy, I'm certainly on my way. I post a lot on the forums at mlgpro.com, and I'm looking forward to interacting with some fellow free-thinkers and seeing what kind of knowledge I can share and what kind of knowledge I can gain. Thanks guys.

Martin TK

Quote from: "Obii"Hey Guys,

My story might be unique, it might not. I was taught under strict parents since birth that there is a God. I was a firm believer because of this. I was surrounded by Christians and even though I never, ever stopped asking questions, I guess I never really left the church due to family pressures. So, as you can guess, I turned 18, moved all the way across the country, and within a few days, I'm an agnostic, then a full-fledged atheist within a week or two. What an amazing feeling it is! The knowledge that I can now gain is unlimited, knowledge that I would have scorned because of religion. Sometimes, I feel as though I was always an atheist, I just wasn't ready to admit it. Perhaps I was scared to. I am 21 now, and even though I'm not at a point I would consider happy, I'm certainly on my way. I post a lot on the forums at mlgpro.com, and I'm looking forward to interacting with some fellow free-thinkers and seeing what kind of knowledge I can share and what kind of knowledge I can gain. Thanks guys.

Welcome to the Best Atheist Forum on the NET!  Feel free to jump right in, post something, start a thread, give us what you got.

Peace
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

Hi Obii

Good to have you here. Get stuck in you'll undoubtedly enjoy it here.

Regards
Chris

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
Just a little advice for new Atheists Some thoughts for those new to reality.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.