News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Parenting Thread :)

Started by TheOGMamaBear, October 01, 2009, 12:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOGMamaBear

Hi. Here is a thread for all parents trying to raise free thinkers. :)
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

Whitney

I don't think so...feel free to start one.

rlrose328

Hey MamaBear... I've got a 9yo son who insists he's an atheist but who is very gullible and naive.  Hubby thinks there's no doubt he'll probably be a believer some day.  Who knows.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

skurry

Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"Is there a thread for parents or a sticky for parents?

If not there should be. I could really use other sinning non-believers who also raise children to talk to.

There is now.  :cool:

I am a father of a 10 month old. The reason I started getting "involved" in atheism is merely to be able to explain things to him. I already knew my lack of beliefs but want to be able to answer questions for him.

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "rlrose328"Hey MamaBear... I've got a 9yo son who insists he's an atheist but who is very gullible and naive.  Hubby thinks there's no doubt he'll probably be a believer some day.  Who knows.

I always wonder about my daughter. She's only 21 months though. But it would be interesting if she turned out to be an evangelical or something. Ick! But as we all know we can't control our children.

I'm also pregnant with my last child...lol. It's a surprise and I'm due in 9 ish weeks.
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "skurry"
Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"Is there a thread for parents or a sticky for parents?

If not there should be. I could really use other sinning non-believers who also raise children to talk to.

There is now.  lol.

Do you guys have issues with your parenting choices with friends or family?

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "Whitney"I don't think so...feel free to start one.

I'll turn this thread into one. :)

SSY

I don't have any kids ( that I know of at least  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  )

Having said that, i am not even going to mention god to them, until one of their friends brings up, at which point i would explain that they may believe it, and that is their right. In general i would teach them to question everything though, I can imagine how this would be difficult as a parent.

"Go to bed"
"Why?"
"Because I say so"
"Actually dad, that is an argument from authority"
"Now, or you get the cane"
"Argument from the stick Dad"
"Damn"
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "SSY"I don't have any kids ( that I know of at least  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

TheOGMamaBear

It's only 7:40am and I'm having one of those mornings where I'm close to stranggling my toddler. It's taking all in my power to not go crazy!

She started the morning off by dumping her entire bowl of oatmeal on the floor, when I made more, she refused to eat it, then she dumped the dogs water bowl out, and tried shoving a computer game in the dvd player.

man.

LARA

I can empathize MamaBear.  I found playdoh to be of help, but you have to corral them on the tile if you have carpet otherwise you'll be pounding the dried bits out of the carpet with a hammer.  Hide and seek is also a good game, especially if you can get them to count to really high numbers, also if you can hide really well, it gives you a five minute breather.

Getting them to clean up their own spills, or cleaning it up together helps, actions actions have consequences, we make a mess we clean it up sort of deal.

Also water play in the tub while you read a book is a good breather, if you have the time to breathe.  A few butter or yogurt containers, a tub some food dye a cushion for your butt on the potty, this is as good as it gets.  If you have wireless and a laptop you can even surf while they play.

A timeout can help.  I could never get mine to stay in one though.  Sitting on her wasn't an option.

Have you tried meetup.com for playgroup info?  It looks to be a good place to go to find other mommies, though I can't find a group close enough to me to go.

I'm having a rough morning with mine too. I got a call from a teacher telling me that mine pitched a fit and yelled at her.  Seems a little boy gave my daughter $5 for something.  Then he wanted it back.  My daughter didn't want to give the money back, so the teacher made her do it.  And my daughter got really upset.  The teacher started to explain to me how these parents work really hard for their money and my girl couldn't just keep the little boy's five dollars.

The teacher doesn't seem to understand that not only do I stay at home, but I freelance part time, my husband works overtime plus is doing construction on the weekends to make extra money, we have no cable television, we have no free healthcare or lunches and right now my 1996 car has broken down and we don't know a mechanic in the area to fix it or if it's even worth it to fix since a head gasket is probably blown.  We probably wouldn't even have an internet connection if I didn't need it for work.  For my daughter to have any spending money at all is a really big deal and for a little boy to give her five dollars and then take it away is really hurtful.  On top of that the teacher tells her to understand his feelings and needs and she has to give the money back to the kid.  Now granted, the little boy shouldn't have given her the money if he needed it, and should get it back,  but the teacher could take a moment and realize the hurt is all around.  She is usually pretty kind and was understanding about most things, but she didn't seem to get it in her head that I was in no shape or form rich or even well off and this was a big deal to my daughter.

My daughter is having trouble at school emotionally.  She does great academically, but this is a very rigid public school that was pushing religion on the kids.  At least that stopped this year. She just can't control her emotions when things are unfair to her.  And it doesn't seem like anyone is cutting her any slack either.  As much as I'm frustrated by her lack of emotional control, I feel her pain and understand.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "LARA"I can empathize MamaBear.

...As much as I'm frustrated by her lack of emotional control, I feel her pain and understand.

Thank you so much for all the great ideas. My daughter is really into coloring, I bet she'd love playdoh. I bet I could strap her in to her booster seat while she does it.

She's not big enough for counting quite yet but you'd better believe that I will be using the hide and seek tips when she can!!

I'm so sorry your daughter is having trouble with school. Did you explain to the teacher where your daughter might have been coming from? It's unfortunate we don't have a lot of choices in where our kids go to school. Sometimes I think I'd like to home school, but I would also at some point like to finish my degree by going back full time (it's required to go full time in my program the last 2 years) and I would like to go back to work someday too.

I think people sometimes think staying at home means we must be wealthy and sit around watching television and relazing.

We definatley can't do those things! It's so much work, we don't have tv either, mostly by choice...although I really miss discovery channel :(.

I actually kicked my husbands cousin out of the house the other night because he came over late and started bashing me for telling my husband he couldn't buy a new chainsaw, because "It's not my money since I don't work."

It was awful.

Tom62

Well, I don't have any children myself. But, I've found a great solution for hard working parents who don't have time to play with their kids.
[youtube:2owb9ug5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxj1RDbp_iE[/youtube:2owb9ug5]
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

LARA

QuoteMamaBear wrote:

I actually kicked my husbands cousin out of the house the other night because he came over late and started bashing me for telling my husband he couldn't buy a new chainsaw, because "It's not my money since I don't work."

:|  :shake:  
I've heard that one before.  No one who has stayed at home full time and long term with a child before would even dare to think this phrase.

Tom62, I LOVED THAT VIDEO!!!!!  We should outsource public schooling to India too, they'll get better math and science training there at a fraction of the cost!!!!
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "Tom62"Well, I don't have any children myself. But, I've found a great solution for hard working parents who don't have time to play with their kids.
[youtube:5grnqyp5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxj1RDbp_iE[/youtube:5grnqyp5]
LOL. the onion. So good.

I'm about to send my kid to India. She won't stop climbing me!!!