News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Arturo on June 19, 2018, 01:41:33 AM
I just watched a video from Jordan Peterson . . .

Personally I wouldn't believe a damn thing that mendacious clickbait merchant says without doing my own research.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Arturo

Quote from: Recusant on June 19, 2018, 01:02:35 PM
I just watched a video from Jordan Peterson . . .

Personally I wouldn't believe a damn thing that mendacious clickbait merchant says without doing my own research.

It's very difficult to do research on psychology because 1) it's a very useful way to control people by lying to them and 2) most things I find only because I type "psychology" into the search box which further supports the problem in number 1)

However I do have the ability to know a few people in this field because of my unique personal situation. And some of the things that I try out from this guy are not that bad in fact. They have helped me with quite a few things but I think he puts an uncalled for emphasis on the self help thing he is selling because lots of people think about that daily and that's something you can get help with from a counselor who actually knows you and is probably more likely to help you.

And he does do a lot of criticizing of Men, and kind of rude as well. But at the same time says he wants to help them. So that personally turns me off but I listen to him because I think he is a valuable asset just like I listen to alot people on here.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

I just watched a video from Jordan Peterson on his podcast and it was very interesting. It was about Men and Kids who grow up without fathers but I listened to it anyways because my Father was always there. And I think I got some insights into the way I am. Even though I had no Mother for a long time, I learned what kids learn from their Mothers and their Fathers. Fathers create the reward system with rough housing with their kids and the kids like that so the Fathers can then use that to delay the gratification. Mothers are more like "here you go" and point them directly to the object they want and because of that kids who are raised by their Mothers are more likely to have ADHD.

So that has a lot of implications for me and the way my brain works. And I can start to develop more techniques to soothe my troubled mind and negotiate with the world. Mostly Men have the ability to say no, but it's not "No never" it's "No, not right now." which explains the typical Father archetype of kids wanting to go to their Fathers and being brushed off until later. Which is where the "Daddy didn't hug me enough" thing came from. But I think I was not bothered by that as a child because I knew that the good would come later. What I need to know now is how the Mother works in a relationship with the child. And by doing that I think I understand how my Step Mother thought a little bit, and through that, myself.

So what I need to do now is step back into the realm of the Father and act like a man, instead of a woman.
That sounds like bullshit to me. ADHD is not caused by parenting. It's a brain disorder. Jordan Peterson is not a person to be trusted, he bullshits too much and commits fallacy after fallacy.

You're not going to find good techniques for how your brain works from using bad information. And Peterson provides bad information.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on June 19, 2018, 03:29:02 PM
I just watched a video from Jordan Peterson on his podcast and it was very interesting. It was about Men and Kids who grow up without fathers but I listened to it anyways because my Father was always there. And I think I got some insights into the way I am. Even though I had no Mother for a long time, I learned what kids learn from their Mothers and their Fathers. Fathers create the reward system with rough housing with their kids and the kids like that so the Fathers can then use that to delay the gratification. Mothers are more like "here you go" and point them directly to the object they want and because of that kids who are raised by their Mothers are more likely to have ADHD.

So that has a lot of implications for me and the way my brain works. And I can start to develop more techniques to soothe my troubled mind and negotiate with the world. Mostly Men have the ability to say no, but it's not "No never" it's "No, not right now." which explains the typical Father archetype of kids wanting to go to their Fathers and being brushed off until later. Which is where the "Daddy didn't hug me enough" thing came from. But I think I was not bothered by that as a child because I knew that the good would come later. What I need to know now is how the Mother works in a relationship with the child. And by doing that I think I understand how my Step Mother thought a little bit, and through that, myself.

So what I need to do now is step back into the realm of the Father and act like a man, instead of a woman.
That sounds like bullshit to me. ADHD is not caused by parenting. It's a brain disorder. Jordan Peterson is not a person to be trusted, he bullshits too much and commits fallacy after fallacy.

You're not going to find good techniques for how your brain works from using bad information. And Peterson provides bad information.

You would have to watch the video. The statistics they gave were that the parenting techniques had a correlation. You can say that environment has no effect on brain chemistry or development but you would be absolutely wrong.

And you could say what you want about whatever I do, but you don't know what that is or how it's affected my health. And I say it's been for the better. So if you want to sit there and say that is hasn't, then you can fuck right off.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

Quote from: Arturo on June 19, 2018, 04:46:40 PM

You would have to watch the video. The statistics they gave were that the parenting techniques had a correlation. You can say that environment has no effect on brain chemistry or development but you would be absolutely wrong.

And you could say what you want about whatever I do, but you don't know what that is or how it's affected my health. And I say it's been for the better. So if you want to sit there and start saying I'm this or that, and that proves that the information I've been provided is trash, then you can fuck right off.

Ah well, you've got your warning back, Arturo. There is no question that you know your unasked-for rudeness to a fellow member isn't going to fly here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Quote from: Arturo on June 19, 2018, 04:46:40 PM

I wouldn't be absolutely wrong, I'd be entirely correct. There is no reliable evidence that shows that ADHD is caused by bad parenting.

Quote from: ArturoAnd you could say what you want about whatever I do, but you don't know what that is or how it's affected my health. And I say it's been for the better. So if you want to sit there and say that is hasn't, then you can fuck right off.
Yep, I get to say what I want, you get to say what you want. There are many better sources than that hack Peterson for improving yourself. Sources that do not rely on fallacies and dishonest tactics.

If it works for you and you're so certain and confident about that, then why the hostility? Why not just laugh off the ignorant guy from the internet? Usually people react in such a way because somewhere inside themselves, they also know the criticism is true and the only defense against it is to lash out angrily. But why hold onto something so tightly that you refuse to consider that it is probably wrong?

For ADHD, these people are great: https://www.youtube.com/howtoadhd and unlike the hack Peterson, they use real data and facts and research without misrepresenting things.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

No you would still be wrong. You are shaped by the people you are around whether you like it or not. That's pointed out several times in different areas of life.

And sure go ahead and say what you want about me. You can read my mind. But that's still a logical fallacy and a cognitive distortion outlined by psychology to use as a reference in therapy. As if everyone is supposed to react in the way you expect them to when you think you know how they are. That's drawing a lot of biased assumptions on your part based on your past experiences. Psychology is less than an exact science. Just because 30% of children raised mostly by women vs 15% of children raised mostly by men have ADHD doesn't mean that the parents are the blame. If that were the case then 100% of kids would have ADHD who don't have adequate parenting. It's not like the kids don't have influence from other people the parent knows like their relatives or friends that could teach them those things.

And it's not like I'm assuming everything this guy says is correct. So you can fuck off again with your assumptions. I don't give a fuck. You don't know me but you act like you do. And that's what pisses me off. Because you want to say this or that about me and it's not true. Spreading lies and slander about me right in a public place while I am right here. I could care less if one of you ban me. I clearly don't need this place or conversation either.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Arturo on June 19, 2018, 07:23:36 PM
No you would still be wrong. You are shaped by the people you are around whether you like it or not. That's pointed out several times in different areas of life.
Being shaped by people =/= getting a brain disorder from people. So I am still right. In order to show that I'm wrong, you'll to need to address what I actually said.

Quote from: Arturo
And sure go ahead and say what you want about me. You can read my mind.
I've made no claims into your mind.

Quote from: ArturoBut that's still a logical fallacy and a cognitive distortion outlined by psychology to use as a reference in therapy.
That made no sense. If you're going to accuse me of committing a fallacy, state which one and how I committed it. Otherwise it's no big deal, I'll just ignore it.

As if everyone is supposed to react in the way you expect them to when you think you know how they are. That's drawing a lot of biased assumptions on your part based on your past experiences. Psychology is less than an exact science.
I caution you to read exactly what I said and to not muddy it up with your failure to comprehend it.

Just because 30% of children raised mostly by women vs 15% of children raised mostly by men have ADHD doesn't mean that the parents are the blame. If that were the case then 100% of kids would have ADHD who don't have adequate parenting. It's not like the kids don't have influence from other people the parent knows like their relatives or friends that could teach them those things.
You're going to have to cite your sources for those claims.

And it's not like I'm assuming everything this guy says is correct. So you can fuck off again with your assumptions. I don't give a fuck. You don't know me but you act like you do. And that's what pisses me off. Because you want to say this or that about me and it's not true. Spreading lies and slander about me right in a public place while I am right here. I could care less if one of you ban me. I clearly don't need this place or conversation either.
I don't act like I know you... the hilarious irony is that you're acting like you know me.

Sandra Craft

Trump may drive me to meditation, before my blood pressure makes my heart explode.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Arturo, what is, in terms of mental problems and their availability to a "cure", the difference between pathological and psychological?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 20, 2018, 04:59:20 AM
Trump may drive me to meditation, before my blood pressure makes my heart explode.

This may make it worse.

My local library charges a penalty if you get sand in their books, for sandy books.

QuoteSAND DAMAGE  Recovers $2.50

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Quote from: Arturo on June 19, 2018, 07:23:36 PM

And sure go ahead and say what you want about me. You can read my mind. But that's still a logical fallacy and a cognitive distortion outlined by psychology to use as a reference in therapy. As if everyone is supposed to react in the way you expect them to when you think you know how they are. That's drawing a lot of biased assumptions on your part based on your past experiences. Psychology is less than an exact science. Just because 30% of children raised mostly by women vs 15% of children raised mostly by men have ADHD doesn't mean that the parents are the blame. If that were the case then 100% of kids would have ADHD who don't have adequate parenting. It's not like the kids don't have influence from other people the parent knows like their relatives or friends that could teach them those things.

You're very unlikely to get banned unless that is your aim and you go out of your way to get that result, but you have succeeded in getting a second warning. Carry on with the abusive language, and you'll be treated to a vacation from this site.
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 20, 2018, 10:15:14 AM

My local library charges a penalty if you get sand in their books, for sandy books.

And so they should.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bluenose

YAY!
I just realised it's the winter solstice, so tonight is the longest night, summer will be on its way soon!  I can't wait, I'm not keen on the cold.  How you guys in places like the mid west of the USA or parts of Canada can stand your winters boggles my mind.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Bluenose on June 20, 2018, 12:16:24 PM
YAY!
I just realised it's the winter solstice, so tonight is the longest night, summer will be on its way soon!  I can't wait, I'm not keen on the cold.  How you guys in places like the mid west of the USA or parts of Canada can stand your winters boggles my mind.

I second everything you say - looking forward to summer. Although it's quite warm today (21°C) and a low of 6 is expected tonight, I'm feeling this winter more than previous years. I suspect it may be owing to the anticoagulant medication I'm on until next Friday.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames