News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Scams

Started by Dave, June 09, 2018, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I have put my old Nikon, plus another lens, book, bits etc, for sale on Amazon.

Soon after I got a series of fake Amazon emails, plus ones from the "custoner".  He was from Nigeria and wanted it as a gift for a valued client and offered £70 extra to send it to  an American address. As I said the Amazon stuff was fake, had all the right logos and links, except that I was to contact some other email address when the item was dispatched. Also the wording was wrong, there were spelling and grammatical errors (that were not even American-English!). I contacted Amazon, checked my seller account and forwarded the emails on to them. I ignored the subsequent fake Amazon emaiis telling me that my account would be closed in three days if I did not inform them of the dispatch.

Now another joker has got in on the act, wants me to send it to Lagos, Nigeria (obviously cutting out the American based middle man) as a surprise gift to a valued friend. Similar spelling/grammatical errors. I replied that packing, shipping and insurance to Nigeria would be £200 on top of the £300 for the gear. Also added that despatch would only take place after the full and correct Amazon procedure was carried out and the full amount was indicated as a credit in my Seller Account.

I wanted to add something like,  "Shipping [. . .] to Lagos, one of the global capitals of scam,  [. . .]"

In all this makes three scams from Nigeria, one a couple of years ago. All three have involved a "valued client/friend" and, IIRC, had similar mistakes in their English. Same gang or just using the same Internet/darkweb resources?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Been on to Amazon but can't access my seller account. They say that it is "under review" (been dormant for over a year). Been "under vreview" for over a month now. But they were happy to let me list the camera.

I told them that if I cannot quickly and readily access my account to check my messages and balance I will withdraw that item, close the seller account, since this is a security matter, and use another sales method.

Emails from the supposed buyer forwarded to Amazon.

Dave

Well, looks like that scam has been trumped by a real order! This time the format and the links are correct and I can backtrack from the order to my seller account.

And it is a UK name and address for a change. Though I spelt her name wrong, it is Mertin and I put Merlin.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Dave

Now I get a phone call, with a computer generated voice, telling me that my BT Internet connection will be terminated tomorrow - dial 1 to speak to BT about this.

Strange, I am on Virgin cable, not BT for both phone and Internet.

The phone went fown with no buttons pressed of course.

The last one was an Indian voice telling me my Windows account had been closed (it has not of course). I am sure there are Indians working for Microsoft but I view all such calls with the same caution I view anything ftom Nigeria! And all computer voiced calls . . .

Tank

Quote from: Dave on June 13, 2018, 12:19:21 PM
Now I get a phone call, with a computer generated voice, telling me that my BT Internet connection will be terminated tomorrow - dial 1 to speak to BT about this.

The last one was an Indian voice telling me my Windows account had been closed (it has not of course). I am sure there are Indians working for Microsoft but I view all such calls with the same caution I view anything ftom Nigeria! And all computer voiced calls . . .
This scam is that the dial back number is extortionately expensive  >:(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 13, 2018, 12:26:03 PM

It was a "Dial one for . . ." type thing. Can they redirect to a premium number I wonder?  Though there is a memory of a similar scam on mobiles that allowed them to take command of the device. This was on my landline.

Tank

Quote from: Dave on June 13, 2018, 12:35:30 PM

It was a "Dial one for . . ." type thing. Can they redirect to a premium number I wonder?  Though there is a memory of a similar scam on mobiles that allowed them to take command of the device. This was on my landline.
They might just have worked out that the gullible people, the ones they really want to talk to, will press 1. So at the scam call centre the 'operators' work and when one comes free their system makes outgoing calls to more potential suckers?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 13, 2018, 03:37:51 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 13, 2018, 12:35:30 PM

They might just have worked out that the gullible people, the ones they really want to talk to, will press 1. So at the scam call centre the 'operators' work and when one comes free their system makes outgoing calls to more potential suckers?

Yup, reckon so! I know those of my vintage without knowledge deeper than how to send emails or use Fb or Twitter. They are at high risk. I try to help.

Icarus

Yesterday my phone rang. My caller ID revealed that it was a call from a strange number that I had previously ignored.  Just for the hell of it, I picked up the phone. The caller told me that Google was upgrading my business listing. I sold my business and some real estate three years ago. I have no further need for a Google listing.  The caller had most of my information almost correct but not quite,  He told me that the Google renewal fee was due in order to keep my listing intact.  I  immodestly told the caller to go fuck himself and the horse he rode in on. He tried to convince me that I had to pay a fee in order to be removed from the caller list.  I replied that his horse was a crooked beast.

Another scam to be sure.  I may be old and dumb but not that gullible...at least not just yet.

Tank

It's nice to call the fuckers fuckers once in a while :grin:

No one

I often answer these calls with: "You sound pretty, can I wear your skin?"
Sometimes, I ask them if the have any coke.

Icarus

^ I think that I might hijack some of your responses No One.   

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

In the past 4 days I have had: one Asian accented person called "Max", one recorded human voice and one robovoice telling me that my BT Internet/Broadband cable will be disconnected today/tomorrow.

Dunno what the actual scam is, I am not on BT. Should have let the Asian guy go through his whole spiel before telling him to go boil his head!

Probably that they "cannot access my account to renew the rental and would I please send them all my bank details."