Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Miscellaneous / Re: "DO - YOU - SPEAK - ENGLISH."
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 12:55:35 AM »
Astute observation Silver. 

In my country we have variations of the English language, nay American language, which are at odds with the Oxford English Dictionary, big time.  Most of the time we can decipher what the hell a backwoods West Virginian is talking about but it does take some analytical effort.
Miscellaneous / Re: It's weird!
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 12:50:45 AM »
Dave there are compasses that are deliberately indexed backward,  That is to say that the index mark will indicate south when the direction is actually north. Racing Dinghy sailors often use such evil devices.  The racing sailor is more interested in the directions of wind shifts or the tacking angle than he is in knowing which way he is actually going.  We are merely racing around a closed course that has buoys with which we are required to pass to our port (left) side.   Could it be that your walking stick compass is indexed in that manner?

That is not all. In various parts of the world there is magnetic deviation that is the bane of the mariners existence.  Most likely the bane of  RAF nav people too.  You would know about that of course.   Then there is the mag interference of ones house.  There are metallic objects in the floors and walls that interfere with a perfectly good compass.
Politics / Re: Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald
« Last post by Icarus on June 22, 2018, 11:59:13 PM »
^ Damn that magazine cover. It makes me cry. I mean it.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Does Anybody Here Remember...
« Last post by Icarus on June 22, 2018, 11:31:31 PM »
We have "traffic calming" feature in some of our streets, particularly in residential areas.  Something like "pillows" but more effective.  There are humps that run across the entire road or street. Most of them are about six inches ( 15 cm) high in the middle.  There is no getting around or straddling them. They work quite nicely. Hitting one of those things at more than 15 or 20 MPH will cause one to reconsider his driving habits, even teen aged testosterone crazed maniac drivers know the drill.  Slow down or end up in the trees.

Then of course there is the motorcycle cop with his radar gun who from time to time parks his bike under a huge oak tree next to my house.  I live on a busy cross street that is long enough and smooth  enough to encourage dipshit drivers to speed.  The cops are fair. They bust speeders as needed. and not for marginal infractions.  I sometimes offer the cop a can of soda and they invariably thank me but decline even though they might like the beverage.  No bribes allowed. Not even a can of soda pop.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Jumping back in...
« Last post by Icarus on June 22, 2018, 11:13:53 PM »
A US organization whose name is Compassion and Choices offer several free documents for end of life arrangements.  The documents are most useful and well constructed so as to comply with most of our states laws.

That organization used to called the Hemlock Society.  They were proponents of self determination that included Physician assisted suicide. No they are not an organization from the gates of hell.  They are a bunch of people with some common sense and a lot of compassion for people with terminal illnesses. They were instrumental in helping the states of Oregon and others to make physician assisted suicides permissible. . 

P.S. The Jesus people do not  much like that organization.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Dave on June 22, 2018, 09:50:56 PM »
Sooooooo....yeah, it looks like I bought a house.

:shooty:

That's a nice big half of house.  How many rooms, and do we get to see pics of the inside?
The prospect for the house is still up, so feel free to have a look.
https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/ad.html?finnkode=121940045

Got about one in fifty of the words but the pictures are good!
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Guardian85 on June 22, 2018, 09:34:22 PM »
Sooooooo....yeah, it looks like I bought a house.

:shooty:

That's a nice big half of house.  How many rooms, and do we get to see pics of the inside?
The prospect for the house is still up, so feel free to have a look.
https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/ad.html?finnkode=121940045
« Last post by Dave on June 22, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »
Dave, you must be exhausted after all the pole dancing today.

Oh, ho, ho.

:grin:

I was just drawn to the seeming anomaly.
Science / Re: Another Confirmation of the General Theory of Relativity
« Last post by Dave on June 22, 2018, 07:59:18 PM »
Well done that team!
« Last post by hermes2015 on June 22, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
Dave, you must be exhausted after all the pole dancing today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10