Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Laid Back Lounge / Birthdays today!!!
« Last post by Tank on Today at 07:50:20 AM »
Two of our members share the same birthday today!

xSilverPheonix and Calissassias (never could spell that!).

Congratulations to both for making yet another orbit around our local star!
Music / Re: Music that moves you
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 07:25:46 AM »
I was overwhelmed by Béla Bartók's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta when I heard it for the first time in my teens. Bartok has remained one of my favourite composers and this piece never fails to move me deeply.

Music / Re: What are you listening to?
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 07:04:50 AM »
Esa-Pekka Salonen on the Rite of Spring.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Holidays -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 06:54:53 AM »
Come on all you HAFFers. Only 8 people have voted. We really need more votes to make this meaningful.
Media / Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!
« Last post by Tank on Today at 06:29:38 AM »
Since I keep a link to the latest Mr. Deity video in my signature, I avoid posting Dalton's stuff too much. However the "God Distraction" video he posted a few days ago is a detailed and articulate answer to a question posed here recently.

Because children. :rofl:
Ecurb, perhaps not a difference in capacity but a difference in motivation because of the difference in cultural, economic, or environmental factors.

From what I've read on the subject that seems to be the case. There was an interesting article describing the rise in IQ scores corresponding with better nutrition in the US. I don't remember where I read it though.
Media / Re: HAF Book Club: February poll and discussion
« Last post by Sandra Craft on Today at 02:20:40 AM »
Well, I'll break the tie this time.  Unless we get a tie-breaking vote before the poll closes, I'm going with And the Mountains Echoed, since it's been on the list longest.
Media / Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!
« Last post by Recusant on Today at 12:38:41 AM »
Since I keep a link to the latest Mr. Deity video in my signature, I avoid posting Dalton's stuff too much. However the "God Distraction" video he posted a few days ago is a detailed and articulate answer to a question posed here recently.

The Cold Spring Harbor statement can be found here. Basically they say that the opinions he expressed on the television show amounted to a reversal of his earlier retraction of the same opinions, and this prompted their response.

Years ago I had a long discussion with somebody who felt that Watson was being unfairly punished for what the person claimed were essentially truthful statements. When I produced evidence that there isn't any substantial basis for Watson's claims, I got "refutations" from J. Phillipe Rushton and others of his ilk, mostly associated with the Pioneer Fund. Ah, memories.  :snicker1:
Ecurb, perhaps not a difference in capacity but a difference in motivation because of the difference in cultural, economic, or environmental factors.   

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10