News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Stop the Wall!

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 07, 2017, 08:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Yesterday I was at a local park, and an Hispanic woman came up and asked me what my "Stop the Wall!" bumper sticker meant.  I explained my opposition to the border wall in Texas, and she asked me for one of the stickers, which I gave her.  My movement has now doubled in size.  ;D

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on January 22, 2017, 02:04:25 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 22, 2017, 01:39:08 PM
Quote from: Icarus on January 22, 2017, 04:57:30 AM
I was listening to the NPR radio this morning. A veteran border patrol man was being interviewed. He said that if we build an 18 foot wall there will be 19 foot ladders the next day. That is not all. He said that there will be so many 19 foot ladders that after two or three weeks there will be no need to bring your own. There will be  plenty of them left behind.

Correct. A wall will stop no one.

Yeah, ladders a-plenty.

Presumably they will let themselves down on ropes on the US side.

Now, will they try to carry one long ladder or make sectional ladders, slot together bits that one person can carry?

Will there be lasers trained along the top of the wall? Whole lot of lasers with distance measuring hardware?
Or shovels. There have already been tunnels that operated for years before discovered, and walls tend to only be above ground. If they're going to dig down 20+feet before building the wall... well, that will take a lot longer and cost way more. And still won't stop someone from digging a tunnel under it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on January 23, 2017, 03:23:35 PM
I was listening to the NPR radio this morning. A veteran border patrol man was being interviewed. He said that if we build an 18 foot wall there will be 19 foot ladders the next day. That is not all. He said that there will be so many 19 foot ladders that after two or three weeks there will be no need to bring your own. There will be  plenty of them left behind.

Yeah, ladders a-plenty.

Now, will they try to carry one long ladder or make sectional ladders, slot together bits that one person can carry?

Will there be lasers trained along the top of the wall? Whole lot of lasers with distance measuring hardware?
Or shovels. There have already been tunnels that operated for years before discovered, and walls tend to only be above ground. If they're going to dig down 20+feet before building the wall... well, that will take a lot longer and cost way more. And still won't stop someone from digging a tunnel under it.

Maybe they could get sledge hammers and home made bombs and blow the shit up?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Apathy on January 23, 2017, 06:57:10 PM

Yeah, ladders a-plenty.

Even just a water canon can cut through concrete.

So many ways to circumvent a stupid wall, and the most common way (over staying a visa, as already mentioned), is still the easiest and won't be stopped by a wall.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on January 23, 2017, 07:03:54 PM
Quote from: Apathy on January 23, 2017, 06:57:10 PM

Yeah, ladders a-plenty.

Even just a water canon can cut through concrete.

So many ways to circumvent a stupid wall, and the most common way (over staying a visa, as already mentioned), is still the easiest and won't be stopped by a wall.

I am starting to think maybe the "Wall" is just a way of saying "We hate you" and has no significance to people other than "gtfo".

I mean my Dad, as Mexican as he is, expresses mixed opinions on the oompa loompa. My father has said on multiple occasions that the only people who support him are "prejudice" but then when the inauguration speech happened, he tells me he liked it. I think possibly he listens only to people who are persistent and anecdotal.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Ecurb Noselrub

Look at this:  http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/23/politics/border-series-texas/index.html

I especially like the English lady who has lived on the Texas border since 1946.  The curious thing is that 2 of the 3 people in the video voted for Trump, but agree that the border wall doesn't work.  Such a stupid idea.

Ecurb Noselrub

Trump is set to order the building of the wall.  It makes me sad and sick.  I'll keep fighting and hoping. Congress must deny the funding. 

Firebird

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/24/politics/donald-trump-immigration-refugees/index.html

We're less than a week in, and between this, the EPA gagging, the immigration order, and all the other shit, it's as bad as our worst fears. It's like we got taken over by a cartoon super-villain.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

I keep hearing how brilliant Trump is and yadda yadda but it's so obvious he's laughably stupid.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Trump signed an order to build the wall today.  http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/25/politics/donald-trump-build-wall-immigration-executive-orders/index.html

Of course, he has no money to build it.  So contacting Congressional leaders is even more important now.

xSilverPhinx

Whatever happened to "make Mexico pay for it"? :scratch:

Not that that's even remotely plausible, but it was Smallhand's original plan...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

I suspect that the Trumpster will need to have the billions of construction dollars approved by congress or other financial  entity.  Let's see how that works out.

The whole idea is an absurdity for several  real world reasons. First we would need a building contractor who could finance a significant stretch of wall before the GAO could get around to paying them for whatever progress had been made. Who the hell could manage that? General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, General Electric???  Maybe Goldman Sachs could get involved with some angels to finance the deal.   We are not talking chump change here.

A single contractor would need to coordinate the logistic and erection schedule and construction personnel for such a project.  No doubt a trade union could and would get involved to sweeten the pot and complicate the process.  Imagine the material delivery schedules and the possibilities, nay probabilities, of all those inevitable snafus.

The project might use small time fence builders who might have the capacity to do maybe a mile or so of wall. That means that we would contract with nearly two thousand individual businesses and that would make a royal Mongolian Clusterfuck. Imagine the coordination fun between so many different small contractors.
Then, of course, there is the problem of getting title to the strip of land that is currently owned by ranchers or other land holders. Well there is the eminent domain process. Hmmmph! That will take some time and some furious court fights over agreed value. It ain't just the cost of the wall, it is a lot more complicated and expensive than that. The wall is a show biz bullshit exhibition that can never actually happen and the people who think that it  is feasible, practical, effective, or paid for by Mexico, have their head in a place where the sun does not shine. That is not the worst of it....The goddam wall would not keep the" rapists and criminal"l Mexican, and Guatemalan desperados out of our hallowed ground. 

A damn sight less expensive and far more effective method of controlling the border would be to  reinforce the border patrol effort. It would also help if we did not shackle the border patrol agents or commit them to prison as has been done in the not too distant past.  I allude to the long ago case of  the two agents who landed in prison for doing their job and protecting themselves from a  potentially dangerous border crosser. Anyone care to dredge that case up?

Trump is a shameless snake oil salesman who is devious enough to deceive some otherwise rational citizens.

Pasta Chick

I heard a radio interview with a member of border patrol today. He said it wouldn't be an actual wall but that "wall" was basically being used to mean "fence". Which is admittedly stupid and he was not behind that either.

Arturo

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 26, 2017, 12:56:59 AM
I heard a radio interview with a member of border patrol today. He said it wouldn't be an actual wall but that "wall" was basically being used to mean "fence". Which is admittedly stupid and he was not behind that either.

Isn't there already a fence?
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Seems there is a Mexican company called Cemex with cement making plants near the birder on both sides.

Their shares are reported to have gone up by 200%.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74