News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadPoison

Quote from: "Tom62"Or trucks that try to overtake each other on a two lane, busy highway with only 1 km/mile per hour speed difference  :rant: .

And here I was thinking the United States cornered the market on those guys.

Tank

Quote from: "DirtyLeo"
Quote from: "Lost"I usually just open my window, and then the background noise of birds chirping, traffic, etc... helps to tone him down.

I can recommend white noise or nature sounds. My son has a sleep sheep that plays various nature sounds such as ocean or rain etc. which follows the same principle. If you have a smartphone (what a stupid name, isn't it?) like Android or iPhone, you can download white noise apps. I sometimes use one called AmbiSci on the iPhone. And I'm sure there are MP3s or full albums out there.
Complete with subliminal messages from the sponsor!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DirtyLeo

Quote from: "Tank"Complete with subliminal messages from the sponsor!

Hey! That explains why I keep buying their stuff regardless I need them or not :D.
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

Tank

Quote from: "DirtyLeo"
Quote from: "Tank"Complete with subliminal messages from the sponsor!

Hey! That explains why I keep buying their stuff regardless I need them or not :D.

Ah! Cue the ebay song!

[youtube:hs6rbqgq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ[/youtube:hs6rbqgq]
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DirtyLeo

Brilliant!!! :D
I had never come across that.
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

KDbeads

Quote from: "DirtyLeo"Brilliant!!! :hide2:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Alexander

Dangerous driving & annoying ringtones.

Jester

I used to have a Career Choices teacher that said "granite" instead of "granted".
Similarly, I used to have a friend that said "ambiance" in place of "ambulance".

I'm a freak about correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc..

Alexander

The world's most annoying YouTube user, Boxxy.

Extropian

It is refreshing to note members proclaiming their support for correct English.

In furtherance of this noble crusade, I suggest that the entire North American continent be declared a disaster area [or nuked back to one if necessary] and a new start be made.

Think of the tremendous advantages to be gained when reason, rationality and atheistic scholarship are the instigators of that new start!

I admonish members to regard this post as unequivocally, irrefutably and incontrovertibly uncontroversial.

It's a suggestion only, so no need to get uptight and get the knickers in a knot.

The first lesson the New Americans will be taught is the proper definition of MOMENTARILY.

The second lesson will be that the entire continent from the Mexican border northwards will be one nation indivisible under British rule. Your Declaration of Independence was revoked yesterday. Your state of New England will become an integral unit in New America, a name given precedent in New Zealand Newfoundland and New South Wales.

All non-atheists will be lobotomised...........they won't notice the difference. An anaesthetist will be available in case of emergency.

I further remind members that I intend no part of this post to be arousing of their hackles or their dudgeon. This post is ineradicably and ineluctably uncontroversial in all of its parts and as a whole.

Extropian
Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.
Robert Green Ingersoll
Read more: http://www.brainy

SSY

"I could care less" to mean that they don't care. NOOOOOOO! Saying you could care less, means you care some finite, unspecified amount, it means nothing other than the fact that you don't, not care; the exact opposite of what you meant!
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Extropian"This post is ineradicably and ineluctably uncontroversial in all of its parts and as a whole.

Is not.  :P

Quote from: "Extropian"In furtherance of this noble crusade, I suggest that the entire North American continent be declared a disaster area [or nuked back to one if necessary] and a new start be made.

We have to finish the Atheist Escape Ark first.

Extropian

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "Extropian"This post is ineradicably and ineluctably uncontroversial in all of its parts and as a whole.

Is not.  :P

Is so too

Quote from: "Extropian"In furtherance of this noble crusade, I suggest that the entire North American continent be declared a disaster area [or nuked back to one if necessary] and a new start be made.

We have to finish the Atheist Escape Ark first.

Well just do it as qietly as possible and don't tell theists about it. They've spent all their lives looking back over their shoulder and that's a heavy price to pay for a ticket on the Glory Train, so they'll probably grab the first opportunity they can. If it looks like an ark and quacks like an ark, then it must be..........you know how they think. If Ol' Nick threw them a life-buoy they'd grab it quick enough.

Extropian
Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.
Robert Green Ingersoll
Read more: http://www.brainy

Tank

Quote from: "Extropian"It is refreshing to note members proclaiming their support for correct English.

In furtherance of this noble crusade, I suggest that the entire North American continent be declared a disaster area [or nuked back to one if necessary] and a new start be made.

Think of the tremendous advantages to be gained when reason, rationality and atheistic scholarship are the instigators of that new start!

I admonish members to regard this post as unequivocally, irrefutably and incontrovertibly uncontroversial.

It's a suggestion only, so no need to get uptight and get their knickers in a knot.

The first lesson the New Americans will be taught is the proper definition of MOMENTARILY.

The second lesson will be that the entire continent from the Mexican border northwards will be one nation indivisible under British rule. Your Declaration of Independence was revoked yesterday. Your state of New England will become an integral unit in New America, a name given precedent in New Zealand Newfoundland and New South Wales.

All non-atheists will be lobotomised...........they won't notice the difference. An anaesthetist will be available in case of emergency.

I further remind members that I intend no part of this post to be arousing of their hackles or their dudgeon. This post is ineradicably and ineluctably uncontroversial in all of its parts and as a whole.

Extropian

Fixed it for you.

Also any person qualifying the word unique with, very, most, highly, the most etc. will be shot on sight, nor reprieve and no appeal. In addition using the term 'stand out' instead of 'outstanding' will receive 25 cuts with a cat-o-nine tails!

terranus

QuoteI can recommend white noise or nature sounds. My son has a sleep sheep that plays various nature sounds such as ocean or rain etc. which follows the same principle. If you have a smartphone (what a stupid name, isn't it?) like Android or iPhone, you can download white noise apps. I sometimes use one called AmbiSci on the iPhone. And I'm sure there are MP3s or full albums out there.

Yeah I got the Lightning Bug app on my android phone. I always put it on before I go to bed at night, puts me to sleep almost instantly. I love it, haven't had to by sleeping pills for almost 2 months now. Unfortunately, the only time I can use it now is when I'm trying to go to sleep. Tried using it while working on my car the other day and I fell asleep wrench-in-hand.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--