News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Gloucester's chat thread

Started by Dave, June 24, 2016, 08:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Hello ftom Gloucester, Uk.

My name is actually Dave but there are far too many of us it seems. I'll appologise for strange spellings now, I use a tablet and iften hut tge wrinf ket on tge onscreeb ket boaed.

I am fast approaching 72 and worked as a very, very Jack-of-all-trades senior R&D tech in an instrumentation company's labs. Interests sci-fi and fantasy, science, technology and high tech toys, archaeology, almost any kind of research, writing . . . . . . . . . . .

Oh, I am also a "Computer Buddy" (yeck!) for the local University of the Third Age.

I am a member of http://www.thinkhumanism.com/phpBB3/, a friendly bunch.

I sort of came to humanism by osmosis; I had arguments with my Sunday School teachers until I stopped going at about age 10. At 12 I found a notice about a local humanist group and realised I was not alone, but I was too young for them to admit me to their number - so I sort of drifted for decades; life, love, work, finance and all the usual things getting in the way.

It was not until I got made refundant at age 59.5 (best promotion I ever had!) That I felt relaxed enough to look around. Took an early pension from work and took a course to prep for a uni course, which I got. Unfortunately a dicky ticker cut my uni career short, but it was a worthwhile experience, the grey stuff was still just as active and I could hold my own in debate.

So, still looking aroundvto see what is going and thought I'd have a dabble here.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

Greetings and welcome, Gloucester.  I'm also called David and I was active in the TH forum years ago - it is indeed a nice place, I'll have to start posting there again.  You must be Dave B.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome to HAF, Gloucester! I hope you enjoy posting here. :)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

joeactor

Dave

Yup, Oldgit, that's me! Remember your handle I think, did you use it on TH?

Bit quiet there at the moment, there were a couple of fallings out.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Hi.  Are you a "Leave" or "Remain"??

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Quote from: Gloucester on June 24, 2016, 08:33:21 PM
Hello ftom Gloucester, Uk.

My name is actually Dave but there are far too many of us it seems. I'll appologise for strange spellings now, I use a tablet and iften hut tge wrinf ket on tge onscreeb ket boaed.

I am fast approaching 72 and worked as a very, very Jack-of-all-trades senior R&D tech in an instrumentation company's labs. Interests sci-fi and fantasy, science, technology and high tech toys, archaeology, almost any kind of research, writing . . . . . . . . . . .

Oh, I am also a "Computer Buddy" (yeck!) for the local University of the Third Age.

I am a member of http://www.thinkhumanism.com/phpBB3/, a friendly bunch.

I sort of came to humanism by osmosis; I had arguments with my Sunday School teachers until I stopped going at about age 10. At 12 I found a notice about a local humanist group and realised I was not alone, but I was too young for them to admit me to their number - so I sort of drifted for decades; life, love, work, finance and all the usual things getting in the way.

It was not until I got made refundant at age 59.5 (best promotion I ever had!) That I felt relaxed enough to look around. Took an early pension from work and took a course to prep for a uni course, which I got. Unfortunately a dicky ticker cut my uni career short, but it was a worthwhile experience, the grey stuff was still just as active and I could hold my own in debate.

So, still looking aroundvto see what is going and thought I'd have a dabble here.

Hello and welcome to HAF, Gloucester. Thank you for that comprehensive intro post. I hope you don't mind that I split your introduction off to its own thread. :blue smiley:

What sort of science fiction do you enjoy?

I think U3A is a fine concept; it's good to hear that you're helping them out. Do you attend any U3A classes?

Some threads you might find interesting:

Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler

. . . And of course, the Forum Rules.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.   :welcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Hello Gloucester

Welcome to HAF :D

Chris
aka Tank
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

solidsquid

Welcome Dave!  Gloucester? Some of my ancestors were originally from there and then took off to stake a claim to some new real estate across the pond in the 1600s.

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

gentle_dissident

Hey Dave B. Nice to see you here. It's a bit slow at Think Humanism.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Gloucester on June 24, 2016, 08:33:21 PM
It was not until I got made refundant at age 59.5 (best promotion I ever had!)

So, still looking around to see what is going and thought I'd have a dabble here.

Welcome aboard!  I retired from Federal Civil Service when I was 58 and have been enjoying it so much I haven't even tried to find another job.  My original plan was to relax for 6 mos, then go back to work.  That was 4 years ago and I'm still sleeping in every day.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

Hey, 'chester!  8)

Welcome to the forum!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ecurb Noselrub