News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Creationist/Flat Earth/Etc Images

Started by Pasta Chick, December 07, 2016, 03:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

Some of these are just face-palmingly, WTFing, amazing.

There was a thread a while back where I started sharing some, encouraged by others to do so, but I felt bad hijacking the topic. Then today I saw this and thought "yeah this is becoming its own thread."

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Well... The pole is actually irrelevant in calculating the probability of a puma being born with wings, but where does 50/50 come from? Like... The very first of many genetic mutations needed is what... Less than 3% likely, and you multiply from there, so the number goes down, not up.

...How DO stupid people do their math?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

Quote from: Asmodean on December 07, 2016, 06:08:44 AM
Well... The pole is actually irrelevant in calculating the probability of a puma being born with wings, but where does 50/50 come from? Like... The very first of many genetic mutations needed is what... Less than 3% likely, and you multiply from there, so the number goes down, not up.

...How DO stupid people do their math?

Arturo The1  リ壱

No one

The gray lump:
How DO stupid people do their math?

5 out of 4 people have trouble with math. It's hard.

OldGit

Good luck to anyone trying to get the damn thing up there.

No one

Oldgit:
Good luck to anyone trying to get the damn thing up there.

Well, evolution says there must be people with wings, so.......

Asmodean

Quote from: No one on December 07, 2016, 09:28:57 AM
The gray lump:
How DO stupid people do their math?

5 out of 4 people have trouble with math. It's hard.

If you use numbers and equations to prove a point, you must be able to defend them, no? Thus, if you are one of those five out of four, perhaps you should not make your points using mathematics, yes?

Having a margin of error >49% is, frankly, beyond embarrassing. Even if I draw numbers straight out of my ass, I will come as near as makes no difference fifty percent points closer to the actual probability of a winged puma being born to a wingless one. Watch;

Let us assume that in order for a puma to be born with wings, its mother DOES need to be on top of a telephone pole. In addition, the child needs three separate genetic mutations, which, for the purpose of this thought experiment, are deliberately few and common.

3% of all pumas have the first mutation.
20% of those have the second.
One in one thousand of all pumas has the third.

Let us further assume that one in one hundred million pumas is born on topa' telephone pole and that that, as stated, is a requirement for growing wings... Why not? This whole thing is cringe-worthy already.

This yields some straight forward multiplication;

(In this day and age, it's not cheating if you use a calculator for this part)

(0.03^2)*0.2*0.001*10^-8=1.8*10^-15

You see? My ass is pretty much 50pp tighter than the loose and floppy ass of the poster-maker. Also note that my birth-on-a-telephone-pole demand was meant to function a tiny little bit as a corrective force, thus lessening the embarrassment-factor of my own answer, which is more than likely off by... A few decimals, do let us call it.  ;)

That was math. Now is where I would normally start discussing evolution and how the math in question relates to it.

EDIT: Polished and clarified some language and dependencies. Should make sense in a this-is-purely-an-example sort of way now.

Also, do please correct my math if it's wrong; I'm not very strong in probability calculations.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Asmodean on December 07, 2016, 12:48:56 PM

If you use numbers and equations to prove a point,

You're missing the point.
It's just angels funning about.
They impregnate a large cat
put it on a pole, in a tall tree.
They're are a funny bunch.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 07, 2016, 01:59:29 PM

I don't think so. The point is that evolution is obviously a ridiculous concept because putting a pregnant puma on a telephone pole would, according to it, yield an equal ratio of winged offspring to wingless. As if!

In the process of being made, this point is supported by a specific mathematical claim. That's perfectly OK, as long as the calculations actually get done, even if they are done wrongly. If not done at all, that same point can be made without using offspring ratios as a helper. To a person who does have those two metaphorical brain cells rubbing against each other, misuse of data demonstrated here only serves to add another level of ridiculous to the whole thing.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Asmodean on December 07, 2016, 02:23:12 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 07, 2016, 01:59:29 PM

I don't think so. The point is that evolution is obviously a ridiculous concept because putting a pregnant puma on a telephone pole would, according to it, yield an equal ratio of winged offspring to wingless. As if!

In the process of being made, this point is supported by a specific mathematical claim. That's perfectly OK, as long as the calculations actually get done, even if they are done wrongly. If not done at all, that same point can be made without using offspring ratios as a helper. To a person who does have those two metaphorical brain cells rubbing against each other, misuse of data demonstrated here only serves to add another level of ridiculous to the whole thing.

As long as you leave god out of your equations your conclusions will be wrong. :P
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Yes, but this was not a probability distribution for god-made baby pumas having wings this particular creationist fool or the imitator thereof was talking about; this was about what we, the evilly-nasty-sciency people claim.

This is akin to relaying what a person who speaks a language you do not understand says, by speaking in tongues.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

I think the whole idea was they don't know what theyre talking about.

And yeah, I think Poe is going to be unavoidable here. That's just the nature of the beast. Many are quiet serious and pretty much the same (hence the existence of Poe's Law in the first place).

This comes straight from the Flat Earth Society's FAQ page:

The sun it's various orbits, because that tricky fucker likes to jump around over our little disc.

Arturo

Look at this shit^^^ this shit makes no god damn sense. The sun light travels in a narrow cone pattern instead of in all directions like it REALLY DOES
     Arturo The1  リ壱