News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

The vast majority of these killings in the US are by far-right-leaning lunatics. I have guns but all I ever use them for is killing paper. I wouldn't actually want to use a gun in the house for self defense, since there is so much danger from the noise (to hearing) and the possibility of injuring another family member with the shot if it didn't neutralize (kill or maim) the intruder.

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 04, 2019, 01:28:15 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 03, 2019, 09:29:25 PM
El Paso shooting: 'Multiple fatalities' in Texas mall attack

22 in hospital. Fatalities unknown at this time. They have the shooter. No idea of motivation.

If this is the one I think it is, he was an ardent Trump supporter who posted on FB about despising "racial mixing". 
Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 04, 2019, 02:19:18 AM
The vast majority of these killings in the US are by far-right-leaning lunatics.

Is anyone surprised that the shooter is a Trump supporter?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

joeactor

... and another one in Dayton, Ohio.

Icarus

Three senseless shootings in a row in the last two weeks.  One in Gilroy California, then El Paso Texas, and now in Dayton Ohio.

There are 36.000 people killed by guns each year here in the good ole USA.  Another hundred thousand are injured by guns.  To be fair, some of the fatalities are from suicides.  Guns make short work of offing oneself.

There are, by the best estimates, 393 million civilian owned guns in this country. That is the highest rate of gun ownership in the world, by far.

The House of Representatives has created an appropriations bill of 50 million to be used for studies by the CDC (center for disease control) and the NIH ( National institute of health).  This is the first time in decades when this kind of support has been given.  The appropriation has not been made a reality because it is stalled at the Senate floor.  The whole idea is to engage into research as to why, and for what cause,  some of we Americans persuade ourselves to become rampantly murderous. 

The appropriation in no way infringes on the second amendment right to firearm ownership.  It does however, promote the other inalienable rights set out in our Declaration Of Independence, for Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.   

Bluenose

A very interesting article from the NYT states "tThe only variable that can explain the high rate of mass shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns."  This seems obvious to those of us who live outside that beleaguered country. It would seem not so obvious to many US residents.  Here is the article for those prepared to read and learn:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world/americas/mass-shootings-us-international.html
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Davin

Someone puts a handgun on a drone and shows that it can fire, congress bans that the next day.

But somehow we can't do anything about all these mass shootings.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ecurb Noselrub

El Paso is one of the safest border towns around.  Nothing like this happens due to El Paso or Juarez residents.  The danger came from a white nationalist in another city, one who was given license to spew hatred by our illustrious President.  He is the danger, not the border.  He is the national security threat.

Recusant

Finally, somebody willing to tell the truth about this.

"Tony Perkins: Mass Shootings Happen Because Kids Learn About Evolution And 'Primordial Slime'" | Crooks and Liars

QuoteTony Perkins, head of the conservative Family Research Council, on Sunday said that liberals were to blame for mass shootings because they have allegedly taken God out of the public square.

Perkins appeared on Fox & Friends where he was identified as a "former police officer."

According to Perkins, the shooting near Odessa, Texas that left five dead was "just tragic."

"At some point, we have to realize that we as a nation have a problem," he continued. "And the problem is not the absence of laws, it's an absence of morality."

[. . .]

Perkins said that teaching children about evolution is one cause of mass shootings.

"We've taught our kids they come about through chance through primordial slime and then we're surprised they treat their fellow Americans like dirt!" he exclaimed. "It's time we talk about the result of the left's systematic march through our institutions, driving religious expression from the public square."

Perkins complained that children are not being taught that they are "created in the image of God."

"We've driving religion from our public life and we're shocked that we no longer have morality and we no longer value human life," he remarked.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Perkins is clearly a deranged individual. 

Hillary was ill advised to use the word: deplorable.   She was also in touch with reality even though it was not a clever political pronouncement. 

Is shit for brains now the  defacto position?

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

^  Clever vid. That puts T&P in the order of ;don't make a rats ass.  I am not unalterably opposed to using the phrase if it brings any comfort to the bereaved.   

Icarus

Monday evening I am watching the Trumpster lie his ass off in a white house interview with various reporters.  He is right in the middle of one of his boastful bullshit sessions when the secret service grabbed him in mid sentence, and hauled him to presumed safety.

A few minutes later he returned. Problem solved. It seems that someone near the White House had caused a problem that prompted the secret service guys to shoot the suspected person.  We have not learned the details of the shooting at this time. I will tentatively credit the SS people with appropriate response. 

Meanwhile a large group of bad guys have dramatically smashed and looted businesses in Chicago.  The Chicago mayor is supremely pissed and we can probably look forward to some hard ass behavior by the CPD. Will this madness never end?

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on August 11, 2020, 02:30:54 AM
Monday evening I am watching the Trumpster lie his ass off in a white house interview with various reporters.  He is right in the middle of one of his boastful bullshit sessions when the secret service grabbed him in mid sentence, and hauled him to presumed safety.

A few minutes later he returned. Problem solved. It seems that someone near the White House had caused a problem that prompted the secret service guys to shoot the suspected person.  We have not learned the details of the shooting at this time. I will tentatively credit the SS people with appropriate response. 

Meanwhile a large group of bad guys have dramatically smashed and looted businesses in Chicago.  The Chicago mayor is supremely pissed and we can probably look forward to some hard ass behavior by the CPD. Will this madness never end?

No. We are fucked.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.