News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Thank you Eleanor Clift...

Started by Jeff Stryker, April 11, 2012, 05:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on April 11, 2012, 09:27:31 PM
Quote from: McQ on April 11, 2012, 08:58:42 PM
Wow! This is amazing. I am so intrigued by the shout out to HAF and the subsequent influx of new members. I have to throw my thanks in as well. Wish I knew who she is, who her husband was, and how I could see that broadcast.

Here you go!

Transcript of the show: http://www.mclaughlin.com/transcript.htm?id=892

Youtube link for the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyo7AJUlJjU

Thanks for posting that Amicale!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Guardian85

Obviously this Elanor Clift is a woman of distinguished taste and uncommon intellect.   ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Thanks for posting that Amicale.  That was lovely to read.  :)

McQ

That's wonderful. The mention of HAF starts at 16:50 in the program. I'm so pleased that this was discussed on such a distinguished show. Well done.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: Amicale on April 11, 2012, 09:27:31 PM
Quote from: McQ on April 11, 2012, 08:58:42 PM
Wow! This is amazing. I am so intrigued by the shout out to HAF and the subsequent influx of new members. I have to throw my thanks in as well. Wish I knew who she is, who her husband was, and how I could see that broadcast.

Here you go!

Transcript of the show: http://www.mclaughlin.com/transcript.htm?id=892

Youtube link for the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyo7AJUlJjU

Thank you for finding and posting it!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: McQ on April 11, 2012, 10:08:56 PM
That's wonderful. The mention of HAF starts at 16:50 in the program. I'm so pleased that this was discussed on such a distinguished show. Well done.
Trouble is we'll have to start acting all professional now!!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on April 11, 2012, 10:15:23 PM

I refuse to be serious. Seriously!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Recusant

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 11, 2012, 10:07:37 PMObviously this Elanor Clift is a woman of distinguished taste and uncommon intellect.   ;D

Yes, I would say she is. I've watched The McLaughlin Group off and on since the 80s, and she has consistently been a voice of reason there. I can't say that I always agree with her politics, but I have always admired her composure and willingness to stand her ground while giving well reasoned arguments when dealing with folks like Pat Buchanan and the late Robert Novak.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on April 11, 2012, 10:15:23 PM

Oh, dear.  :-\
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Anne D.

BonaireBound

Quote from: Recusant on April 11, 2012, 11:00:15 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on April 11, 2012, 10:07:37 PMObviously this Elanor Clift is a woman of distinguished taste and uncommon intellect.   ;D

Yes, I would say she is. I've watched The McLaughlin Group off and on since the 80s, and she has consistently been a voice of reason there. I can't say that I always agree with her politics, but I have always admired her composure and willingness to stand her ground while giving well reasoned arguments when dealing with folks like Pat Buchanan and the late Robert Novak.

You literally took the words out of my mouth. I too have watched since the 80s and "consistently been the voice of reason" was exactly the phrase I was going to use. In fact, if she weren't there I probably would have stopped watching years ago.

Recusant

Quote from: BonaireBound on April 12, 2012, 02:00:03 AMYou literally took the words out of my mouth. I too have watched since the 80s and "consistently been the voice of reason" was exactly the phrase I was going to use. In fact, if she weren't there I probably would have stopped watching years ago.

Cheers. To you, and to the inimitable Ms. Clift!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Firebird

That's awesome. So glad to see that it's brought out so many new members too.
It's not quite clear whether Ms. Clift's husband was indeed a member of the forum. Was there a version of this site back in 2005 or so?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

I don't know who she is, but it is awesome!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: Firebird on April 12, 2012, 02:55:25 AMIt's not quite clear whether Ms. Clift's husband was indeed a member of the forum. Was there a version of this site back in 2005 or so?

She didn't actually say that her husband had been a member here. If you check out Amicale's second post in this thread you can see that she only mentioned HAF as an example of a certain ethos current in atheism.
— H. L. Mencken