News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

New to forum

Started by secular1, December 05, 2011, 04:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

secular1

Hello,

I thought I would start by qualifying. I'm an Atheist and surrounded by Jesus Freaks. I don't hate--I just find it frustrating to live in a world were it's P.I.
to be Atheist.   

The Magic Pudding

Ye that sucks, here, have a chip.

Happy_Is_Good

Quote from: secular1 on December 05, 2011, 04:32:48 AM
Hello,

I thought I would start by qualifying. I'm an Atheist and surrounded by Jesus Freaks. I don't hate--I just find it frustrating to live in a world were it's P.I.
to be Atheist.   

So do I.  Fortunately, I do not have to withstand a daily dose of "Jesus Freaks".  Consequently, I can not say that I understand what you are going through, but I hope I can help in at least some small way.

Good to see you here!

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

Eventually you get used to their holier-than-thou attitude, and just eyeroll them. maybe even silently laugh at them too...just a bit ;D

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

secular1

Yes, I have a brother who is caught up in a cult. The other day I had someone tell me that a ghost is drinking water from a glass in his house.
Yeah, I'm truly amazed by some of the stuff that I hear.

MadBomr101

Quote from: secular1 on December 05, 2011, 06:15:12 AM
Yes, I have a brother who is caught up in a cult. The other day I had someone tell me that a ghost is drinking water from a glass in his house.
Yeah, I'm truly amazed by some of the stuff that I hear.

What amazes me is how ALL religions seem to believe so readily in the supernatural: magical gods, powerful demons, angels, ghostly spirits, etc... and they talk about this stuff as if it were all completely reasonable and made perfect sense.  In order to be a Xian, I would have to accept as reality that a magical man who can pull entire universes out of his ass and lives on another plane of existence is the creator of all things: people, ducks, ring-tailed lemurs, the Madagascar hissing cockroach, everything.

Not buying it.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Tank

Hi secular1

I hope this little corner of the internet provides you with a refuge from the fundy nutters you are surrounded by.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

welcome to the forum.
sorry to hear you're surrounded by such insanity! Hope you can find some relief from it here.

OldGit

Greetings secular1.  It's hard for a Brit to imagine being outnumbered by faith-heads - I find the thought horrifying - but we know it happens.
Come here for some sanity and support!

Buddy

Welcome to the forum! I can say from experience that being surrounded by xtians really does suck most of the time.  :D 
Oh well, hope you enjoy the forums!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

not your typical...

Hey and welcome. I'm in a similar situation, small Bible belt town full of gossip and shit, though I am a Christian. But the whole you-are-going-to-Hell-preachy-everyone-else-is-inferior thing irritates me too.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Happy_Is_Good

Quote from: not your typical... on December 06, 2011, 12:27:54 AM
....But the whole you-are-going-to-Hell-preachy-everyone-else-is-inferior thing irritates me too.

Well, not only is it irritating, but it's also horribly firghtening to a lot of people.  For example, my cousin (who is a Xtian) recently told me a friend of the family was gay (no surprise, I'd pretty much figured it out years ago).

Unfortunately, this Gay Man (as if being Gay couldn't be tough enough) lives right in the middle of Bible Belt Texas, and regularly attends a Southern Baptist church: a church that regularly preaches that Gays are going to Hell!

Needless to say, this man if frightened, conflicted, confused....you name it!

I had a childhood friend who was Catholic that went through his own brand of hell for the same thing.  He finally snapped when he was in his mid twenties.

Why?  Why must religions put people through such needless torture? And I really consider this torture. 

not your typical...

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on December 06, 2011, 12:39:29 AM
Why?  Why must religions put people through such needless torture? And I really consider this torture. 
As do I. Personally, I'm pansexual, and outed everywhere except home and church. i think that depending on what, and how much you want to believe, you will judge others. But I'm pretty sure the Bible tells you not to do such things. But then again, it also tell you that you can't wear cotton-polyester blend. (No wearing mixed fabrics) So in the end, it just comes down to what you believe is relevant.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

Crow

Retired member.

not your typical...