News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Explain celery to me...

Started by SabineMaia, October 09, 2007, 05:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Hooray for celery! I get those packs from the store that have the sticks in water so they are cold, crunchy, and ready to be eaten at any time. :)

Oh, and Hi! :)

MommaSquid

Explain hummus to me....   :?

rlrose328

oooo... I love hummus.  But just PLAIN hummus... with roasted red pepper on top.

I've always hated chick peas/garbanzos so I never even TRIED hummus.  I only developed a liking of hummus this summer when we went to Napa and visited the CIA (Cooking Institute of America) and we had an appetizer tray that had a hummus on pita appetizer (with a little lamb meatball on top).  It was DELICIOUS!

Since then, my evening snack is usually hummus and Triskits.  Yum!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Whitney

Hey, welcome to the forum...somehow I missed your thread till today.

Celery is high in fiber and low in almost everything else...I guess the fiber is what is good about it.  I don't particularly care for it and prefer the kind of stuffing which doesn't inlclude celery.

Bella

Quote from: "MommaSquid"Explain hummus to me....   :?

Hummus is gooooooddd! But, I did try some grocery store (Vons) hummus before and it... um, it was BAD! BAD BAD! Hummus is a beautiful thing because it feels like you're eating pure carbs... but you're not. :) Yum, carbs!

SabineMaia

I'M A HUMMUS ADDICT!!11!!ONE! I couldn't live without it. I love it with organic tortilla chips. And I only like original, or roasted red pepper hummus -- the rest are no good.

Fibre, eh? Is that what you call the stringy stuff? I suppose that makes it somewhat acceptable. Somewhat. Minorly. Itty-bitty bit.

rlrose328

My favorite hummus is at Whole Foods market... YUM!  But I accidentally got the lemon hummus once on the buffet and wow, it was terrible (at least to MY taste buds... hubby liked it).

Has anyone made their own?  I'd love a recipe... :)
**Kerri**

SabineMaia

It's surprisingly easy to make:

1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Put it all in a blender and serve.

Source

It's been years since I've made it.  I always roasted my garlic in the oven with olive oil before adding it, and I used waaaaaaay more than two cloves. I'm a little fond of garlic ;)

MommaSquid

Maybe I'll try celery stuffed with hummus.   :)

Tom62

Sh#t, another illusion gone. I always thought that Americans only liked burgers, fries and coke :lol:.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Tom62"Sh#t, another illusion gone. I always thought that Americans only liked burgers, fries and coke :lol:.

Don't worry Tom62.  

I'll take burgers, fries and coke over hummus any day!!

rlrose328

Quote from: "Tom62"Sh#t, another illusion gone. I always thought that Americans only liked burgers, fries and coke :lol:.

No... we prefer the all-American dish, pizza.   :P
**Kerri**

Whitney

I like hummus...just tried it for the first time the other day.  I got it pre-packaged at Tom Thumb (a grocery chain) it is part of their eat smart (or something like that) line of foods.  It was pretty good...or at least the garlic version was.  I bought some with red pepper today but haven't tried it yet.

Central Market (an HEB with locally grown stuff) has hummus in their freshly made section...I should pick some up when I'm over there next.

Tom62

I also love hummus. We've got a very good Lebanese/Syrian restaurant around the corner that makes in perfectly. They've offer a wonderful mezzeh buffet there. I should try to sneek into their kitchen and steal all their recipes.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

MysticalChicken

I absolutely love hummus.  It's one of those things I thought I wouldn't like, but I was at a friend's house one day and she had some, and I tried it, and after that it took all the willpower I had to not eat the entire container.

I also hate celery.  It's all stringy and gross.

"Down in the hall, embedded in walls, hear them screaming.  Stashed in a bar, a brain in a jar, no one sees them.  Sucking them blind and draining their minds, hear them screaming.  Stas