News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Explain celery to me...

Started by SabineMaia, October 09, 2007, 05:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SabineMaia

So, I've been lurking here while eating leftover stuffing from Thanksgiving (Canadian), and I've been wondering why anyone would include bland celery in all that bready goodness. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out why anyone even buys celery -- it's not like it has any real nutritional or flavour value.

I've also been wondering if SteveS is a machine. I just read his responses on one of religion threads and he's not only logical to the point that I had to struggle to remember what I learned in my logic class to keep up, but he's good-natured about it. Wow. I need a dose of that. I can be a little knee-jerk and emotional sometimes, and living in the bible belt of Canada doesn't help that reactionary tendency.

Anyhoo, I'm an atheist and I like hanging around other atheists, so, voila.

Squid

Welcome aboard.

tigerlily46514

Welcome!  Well put about SteveS, he surely is all that.  You'll find many other really cool people here, too
Hope you enjoy the forum.  I didn't even realize Canada had a bible belt, ha.  You're gonna need us!
We'll be here..

Hey, i put celery in my stuffing too, i like it.  Maybe for color.  Break it up a little, maybe.  Celery rules.  I heard once that it takes more calories to digest celery than it has in it.  hmmm.

I am only three hours from Canada, like it a lot, been all over there a number of times.  Does your thanksgiving have anything to do with your early settlers and pilgrims and stuff? (ours does....my native american friends call it Immigration Day, though)

WELCOME!!!!!
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

SabineMaia

Thanks for the welcomes!

Our thanksgiving is all about the harvest -- no cherished legends to support the tradition I'm afraid. We do have a lot of the American traditions (cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie) which came from the loyalists who moved up here during the American revolution.

I suppose celery does add colour, and I've heard that too about using more calories to digest it than you gain from it. So, it's a good diet food then (unless ingested with peanut butter. Mmmmm, peanut butter).

I'm afraid we do have a bible belt here in Southern Alberta. To my eternal shame, a creation museum was built in this area, not far from the Royal Tyrrel Museum of Paleontology. I've been thinking about peacefully protesting with placards of Darwin fish and map showing the way to the Tyrrell.

EDIT: P.S. People do seem nice here. Huzzah!

tigerlily46514

LOVE the map idea!!!  what a hoot!!!  bah ha ha!
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

rlrose328

Welcome, Sabine!  I feel the same way about celery... my cook husband eats it all the time because it fills him up without adding calories or bad stuff, but honestly, yuck.  Unless it has cheese or peanut butter on it, what's the point?  :lol:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, Sabine.  I hope you enjoy your stay.

McQ

Welcome, and eat your veggies!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SabineMaia

Thank you for the welcomes! So far I am enjoying myself here.

I am so with you rose.

I do eat my veggies, but I stay away from the "crunchy water" food group (that also includes iceberg lettuce) ;)

donkeyhoty

Lettuce is awful.  For the life of me I cannot understand people eating it.  Celery is pretty bad, too.

Also, you should get together with the people that can't stand cilantro and start a scorched earth campaign across the lands that these crops are cultivated on.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

SabineMaia

Erm... I kind of like cilantro. But I like your clever username more :D That actually made me laugh out loud when I finally figured it out.

donkeyhoty

http://www.ihatecilantro.com/  it's funny.

And yes.  I'm totally clever.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

SabineMaia

The link comes up as the site wasn't found.

Am I the only one who finds it a little odd that our profiles have both our western and chinese horoscopes on them?

donkeyhoty

I accidently got the comma into the link.  It's fixed now.

SabineMaia

Ha! You have to love any site that has thematic haikus.