News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Another One From Phatmass

Started by Will37, May 05, 2011, 02:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will37

I found out about this place from a Catholic website called Phatmass.  I believe the last two Catholics you have recieved are from there as well.  I am an apostate to Catholicism I mainly hang around there because the religion has a strong cultural impact on me.  This place seemed active and I need to brush up on my philosophy so it seemed ideal.  I'm 22 and currently have one semester remaining as a college student at UNC Chapel Hill.  I really don't like introductions so I'll stop here.  If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. 
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

The Black Jester

The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

hismikeness

Quote from: Will37 on May 05, 2011, 02:51:26 AM
If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. 

Do you like the taste of the communion wafer? Just the taste/texture of it, or do you think that it could be a little more delicious, being the lord and all? I know when I was a Catholic it would always get stuck on the roof of my mouth, but luckily the wine washed it down.

Anyway...

Welcome. Interesting run of Catholics of late. Am I understanding it correctly that all three are from the same parish? Or is Phatmass a message board?

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

MariaFaustina212

Hey guys! I too am from Phatmass, and a Roman Catholic. Phatmass is a forum focused on Catholic culture, specifically youth, music, discussion, debate, the normal stuff. Just to put down suspicions, those of us who joined are here for good, healthy discussion, not to shove our views down your throats :) I'm a student, I love life, and I look forward to talking religion (or..lack there of?) with you guys. Any questions, just ask.
"Hear the other side." -St. Augustine
"If we did not have rational souls, we would not be able to believe." -St. Augustine

Whitney

Welcome to both of you....Catholicism is probably the one denomination of Christianity that I really don't know that much about (aside from the basics) despite the fact that my sister married a Catholic.  So, I think it will be interesting having you all on here.

MariaFaustina212

I hope so! If it weren't interesting... what would the point be? ;) I've never heard much on the atheist front in my personal experience other than what angry teenagers tend to say. Which disappoints, because I know you guys are intelligent. So I'm looking forward to this too.
"Hear the other side." -St. Augustine
"If we did not have rational souls, we would not be able to believe." -St. Augustine

Will37

Quote from: hismikeness on May 05, 2011, 03:27:05 AM
Quote from: Will37 on May 05, 2011, 02:51:26 AM
If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. 

Do you like the taste of the communion wafer? Just the taste/texture of it, or do you think that it could be a little more delicious, being the lord and all? I know when I was a Catholic it would always get stuck on the roof of my mouth, but luckily the wine washed it down.

Anyway...

Welcome. Interesting run of Catholics of late. Am I understanding it correctly that all three are from the same parish? Or is Phatmass a message board?

Ha.  Well, I have a few things that I could say to this but will refrain from too much blasphamey since actual practicing Catholics are here.  I will note that when I was a sacrastin in high school we'd eat the unconsecrated wafers (no free wine, unfortunately).  They aren't the best but if you're hungry enough from riding to the Church from your school they can hit the spot.  Now, the Episcopalians really know how to do communion.  They have a nice quasi-leavened wheat bread and port wine (I think.  I don't know much about wine but this one was quite sweet). 
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'

Will37

Quote from: Whitney on May 05, 2011, 03:50:34 AM
Welcome to both of you....Catholicism is probably the one denomination of Christianity that I really don't know that much about (aside from the basics) despite the fact that my sister married a Catholic.  So, I think it will be interesting having you all on here.

Yeah.  If I were you I'd read MacIntyre.  He doesn't really present Church dogma but he presents an intelligent defense of the Aristotilian-Thomist ethical tradition and does a pretty nice job of blowing holes of every ethical system devised in the Western tradition from the Enlightenment on.  This won't help with Sunday school aspects of the faith but it will help understand the philosophical system with which the religion works.  The current Pope is also a pretty intelligent man.  His book Introduction to Christianity may help you.

The Black Jester

The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Cecilie

What's with all the Catholics lately?

Welcome to HAF. :)
The world's what you create.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Cecilie on May 05, 2011, 07:10:00 AM
What's with all the Catholics lately?

Welcome to HAF. :)

There was a link posted on a Catholic forum.  Don't be surprised if there's an influx for a few days.  I don't know what their intentions are.  I'm genuinely interested in conversation, given my background with atheism.
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Will37

Cecilie

What does it mean to be "christlike"? Also, the web design is really nice.
The world's what you create.

Will37

Quote from: Cecilie on May 05, 2011, 07:38:33 AM
What does it mean to be "christlike"? Also, the web design is really nice.

It means follow the example of Christ in the Gospels. 

It is a nice design.  I can be cantankerous and antagonistic and have been fairly clear about the things in Catholicism that I disagree with and I have always felt fairly welcomed.  Overall, nice people who are worth talking to. 

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: bigjon16So I joined an Athiest forum in order to cause a ruccous in their community. They tollerate members who beleive in God, but they do not tollerate "preaching". Lol.

Lets just say, I'll probably get kicked out of the forum within the next month. :smile2: hahahahahaha

So I haven't seen this guy on here. Maybe haven't been paying enough attention. He been booted yet? I mean, this essentially translates to "Hey guys, going to teh athiest (can't even spell it right) forum for some trollz and lulz lolololol!!1!

I hope he isn't an example of the mindset of all the new influx of catholics to our forum. Although, so far, most of you seem quite respectable. But if the "kudo" system stays around, I'm gonna give this guy a negative for this post... which isn't even on this forum. That's how much of a tool this post makes me think he is.

To the catholics coming from that forum who aren't here for the troll-bunny brigade, or whatever the hell it was called in that thread.... welcome.

Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.