News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Hello Everyone, Newbie here :D

Started by Lizarda, May 02, 2011, 08:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeresaBenedicta

Nice to meet you Lizarda!  Not sure I can properly say 'Welcome' as I'm new here as well.

I've not had much experience with JW's in my lifetime, except for a few door conversations.  Perhaps folks here will think it ironic when I say that both JWs and Mormons confound me in their beliefs.  But, there it is.  Granted, those two groups fall outside of mainstream Christianity as it is.
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Melmoth

Quote from: TeresaBenedictaI've not had much experience with JW's in my lifetime, except for a few door conversations.  Perhaps folks here will think it ironic when I say that both JWs and Mormons confound me in their beliefs.  But, there it is.  Granted, those two groups fall outside of mainstream Christianity as it is.

In the same way that the flavourless plastic squares they put in burgers fall outside the bounds of mainstream cheese.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Melmoth on May 05, 2011, 01:37:57 AM

In the same way that the flavourless plastic squares they put in burgers fall outside the bounds of mainstream cheese.

Interesting comparison.  But true enough!

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Lizarda

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 04, 2011, 08:07:30 PM
Nice to meet you Lizarda!  Not sure I can properly say 'Welcome' as I'm new here as well.

I've not had much experience with JW's in my lifetime, except for a few door conversations.  Perhaps folks here will think it ironic when I say that both JWs and Mormons confound me in their beliefs.  But, there it is.  Granted, those two groups fall outside of mainstream Christianity as it is.

I think thats why they hide from mainsteam popularity, cos they don't want their beliefs to get noticed, they are more like vampires, secretly sucking their way through neighbourhoods, but what i find funny is that they would always aim at someone who hasn't thought about religion at all, or who are agnostic, but they wouldnt try an atheist, christian or catholic
"was it a big bang, or was there nothing else to drown out the noise" - Karl Pilkington

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Lizarda on May 05, 2011, 07:56:23 PM
I think thats why they hide from mainsteam popularity, cos they don't want their beliefs to get noticed, they are more like vampires, secretly sucking their way through neighbourhoods, but what i find funny is that they would always aim at someone who hasn't thought about religion at all, or who are agnostic, but they wouldnt try an atheist, christian or catholic

You know, that's an interesting point.  I remember having two conversations with JW's, both occurring at the county fair (they had booth up there).  The first was after I 'quit' being an atheist (for lack of a better phrase) but before I had chosen a church.  They were very interesting in talking with me.  The second encounter was after I had become Catholic... and they barely spoke with me at all.  They wanted me out of their booth as quickly as possible.

Just a personal anecdote.

Lizarda

yeah exactly! from the amount of stories iv looked up about them, they seem to be covering something....is this uncommon at all? haha
"was it a big bang, or was there nothing else to drown out the noise" - Karl Pilkington

MasonG