News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Hello Everyone, Newbie here :D

Started by Lizarda, May 02, 2011, 08:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizarda

Hey everyone, Im Anthony

iv just signed myself up on here so i can be able to have conversations on here that are actually interesting lol, so yeah im highly interested in Atheism and religious beliefs, so would be cool to get to know some people on here also  :)

"was it a big bang, or was there nothing else to drown out the noise" - Karl Pilkington

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

Lizarda

I think i should also give my religious background and where im from and what have ya

Im from the UK, northeast end

I was brought up in a Jehovahs Witness family (not that it was a splendid idea of them of course) my mam almost died having me in birth, cos i was like 11 pounds lol, so my dad had to make a decision whether or not to let her have blood while she was in agony, luckily his human morality won him over (just goes to show how human morality can win over a script) lol, but yeah i hated going to the congregations, sooo boring, i usually ended up drawing (which maybe is how i got my art talent from :D) and i had phobias of Armageddon (which was my main fear as a child and growing up), later in 1999 my mam sadly died, mainly due to loss of blood in my birth (i think anyway) she did have some circulation problem i know that, and she loved walking in the moors and places, then one day she slept out in a sleeping bag in the middle of the moors, and it got really cold and she never woke up :(. some years after that i really began to question certain things, some years after that i got into learning about other religions and their beliefs and doctrines, also learned alot about Evolution, started to purchase books by Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris, and also Anton LaVey that i found interesting lol

I had a difficult time learning about the Watchtower as a child, i was diagnosed with Semantic Pragmatic Disorder, which is a learning difficulty that affected my studying as a JW and i found myself in trouble from time to time as i couldnt focus properly, but it wasnt until later (quite recently) i dicovered how shocking their doctrines are, not just armageddon and blood transfusions and christmas, but there was ALOT iv learned, and iv learned alot about other religions too and how many doctrines and beliefs damage people and society

Im very into art in general, i like painting and drawing, im a graphic design student waiting to finish :)
"was it a big bang, or was there nothing else to drown out the noise" - Karl Pilkington

The Black Jester

Welcome to HAF  ;D.  Sounds like you've had quite the interesting, eventful, and also painful, life thus far.  Hope you find inspiration and solace here.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Lizarda

Quote from: The Black Jester on May 02, 2011, 09:33:40 PM
Welcome to HAF  ;D.  Sounds like you've had quite the interesting, eventful, and also painful, life thus far.  Hope you find inspiration and solace here.

thanx very much, and i hope i will :D

xSilverPhinx

Welcome Lizarda!

Sorry for your loss :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Morning Anthony

Thank you for taking the time to write that detailed personal introduction, it was interesting and insightful.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

Wow, that was quite a read.

I'm a little confused though. Sorry if it is obvious, but how old were you when your mother died?

Lizarda

Quote from: Stevil on May 03, 2011, 08:05:59 AM
Wow, that was quite a read.

I'm a little confused though. Sorry if it is obvious, but how old were you when your mother died?

yeah sorry, i'm not always that good explaining things properly, cos i knew it was gonna be a long message so by the time i finished it, i couldn't be bothered to proof read it haha

i was 11 when she died :(, i'm over it pretty much now of course, i'm 23 now

Tank

Quote from: Lizarda on May 03, 2011, 01:18:33 PM

My Father died when I was 17, I'm 51 now and still feeling the aftershocks. So don't be too hard on yourself. Losing a parent before you reach adulthood is never something to be dismissed.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Lizarda

Quote from: Tank on May 03, 2011, 01:41:26 PM
Quote from: Lizarda on May 03, 2011, 01:18:33 PM

My Father died when I was 17, I'm 51 now and still feeling the aftershocks. So don't be too hard on yourself. Losing a parent before you reach adulthood is never something to be dismissed.

yeah i still feel it sometimes too, though its important that i need to get on with life to cope, but it does catch up with me sometimes

whats interesting is when she was alive, i could tell now looking back, she was haunted by many things of the JW organisation, and i think that made her depressed slightly, so its so unfortunate she had to go through all that trauma when she was alive, but shes still strong to me :)

Tank

My wife and I are both children of older parents. As a result we decided to have our children while we were young so we would be fit enough to keep up with them and hopefully they would be grown up before we passed on. It worked as our three kids are grown up and out on their own now and I'm now a granddad!

I find the JW attitude one of the most theistically disturbing and of Christian sects THE most disturbing. If JW practice were the norm my wife would have died giving birth to our twins. The JW attitude to blood transfusions is nothing short of murder in my opinion.

Maria

Hello Anthony.

Welcome to HAF. I was very moved by your story, I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you enjoy it here.

Maria.

Lizarda

Quote from: Tank on May 03, 2011, 02:23:39 PM
I find the JW attitude one of the most theistically disturbing and of Christian sects THE most disturbing. If JW practice were the norm my wife would have died giving birth to our twins. The JW attitude to blood transfusions is nothing short of murder in my opinion.

This is very true, i mean lets simply put it this way, if they are right and God is gonna destroy everyone (other than JW's) at Armageddon, i'd rather die with everyone else than having to cope in a paradise (yes paradise but thats all of the world, no cities, no nothing else) full of JWs and serving a mass murderer!!...now that would be HELL loll

Zvezdichko

Agreed... I wonder how people can call God loving when even their sacred texts prove he's not loving