News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Atheists Anonymous

Started by Will, August 28, 2007, 06:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Addiction can be very destructive in the lives of the addicted and those around the addicted. When you are addicted to alcohol or drugs, you can see an effect clearly because more people are not addicted to alcohol or drugs, so there is a clear distinction that can be drawn between those who are or aren't alcoholics.

Dealing with those who are addicted to religion is quite different, especially in countries like the US where religion is by far in the majority. Imagine living in a country where most people are alcoholics.

If you are starting to realize the destructive nature of religion, and you feel that religion no longer holds any positive place in your life or those around you, it may be time to consider whether religion is right or not (morally and reasonably). That's what we're here for.

Here are your steps:
1) Admit that you have been controlled by and have been powerless against religion.
2) Admit that religion has been a destructive force in your life, and has kept you afraid and hurt.
3) Recognize that you are your own higher power, and that it is you who can break this addiction.
4) Make amends to those who you believe may have been harmed by your evangelism or religious behavior.
5) Develop your own perception of the world around you based on reason, absent the presence of the fictitious.
6) Change your behavior and moral code to fit your new and more reasonable perception of the world.
7) Help others who ask for help in their addiction.

As someone who not only has gone through this myself, but has helped others through this process, it seems helpful to be able to act as an advisor and be there for those who may need help during the difficult transition between theist and atheist.

Be aware that you could go through serious grief when separating from religion. You may go through:
1) Denial [schild=3 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]No way, I'm still Christian!! You shut up!![/schild]

2) Anger [schild=17 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]Why did they lie to me?! Those b***ards!![/schild]

3) Bargaining [schild=1 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]Alright, I don't believe in the Bible, but I still think there is a higher power[/schild]

4) Depression [schild=16 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]S**t... well this sucks[/schild]

5) Acceptance [schild=11 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]There is no god. Wow, what a weight off my shoulders! *dances*[/schild]

Just know there are people out there to help you, myself included. With any luck, you can be a happy atheist!!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SteveS

So, this got me to thinking ... if religion is addictive then maybe we need a warning?  I mean, the surgeon general puts warnings on cigarette packs, right?  So I went searching the web and found a guy on flickr that already has an appropriate label for the bible - click on the link and check it out - its awesome:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=66867139&size=o

shoruke

that's... a really accurate label. Nice. And Willravel, are you a psychologist? You sound like one to me. Just wondering.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Will

Quote from: "shoruke"that's... a really accurate label. Nice. And Willravel, are you a psychologist? You sound like one to me. Just wondering.
I've been known to dabble.

For the sake of this thread, though, I'm just some guy who's already been through this.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

shoruke

Ah. Fair enough. Good to have you around, though; people who know both sides of the spectrum are a welcome addition to any atheist community, I think.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Squid

Haha, the Kubler-Ross model...that's great stuff Will!

Will

What, no umlaut?!

Yes, I find the Kübler-Ross model to be an invaluable tool in understanding the basic stages possible when dealing with grief.

rlrose328

LOVE that, Willravel... may I quote you? :-)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Will

Quote from: "rlrose328"LOVE that, Willravel... may I quote you? :-)
Sure. So long as no one else takes credit.

rlrose328

No problem... I'm not that clever.  LOL!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

childprime

What an accurate progression of events. Unfortunately, I stalled out at the Bargaining and Depression for about 15 years until I found the Counsel for Secular Humanism and Unitarian Universalism. (I am actually a religious atheist now... what an oxymoron).

childprime
childprime
Children are the prime natural resource of the future.

Will

I love secular humanism. I think it's a great outlook on and perception of life. Sorry it took so long, though.

paperino

What the "heck"? Do you have to be an atheist AND a rocket scientist at the same prise in order to get the slightest sense of these pages? Admittedly, I'm an ignoramus regarding how these forums work in general, but I found myself quite helpless when I tried to answer to a kind welcome note to this site.
Thanks in advance,
PR

paperino

I hope I'm learning the ropes, but still uncertain wether this message lands on the right spot.
Just glimpsing these pages got me wondering; do atheists give a sparrow's fart about horoscopes, Chinese or whatever? What next, little green men (women), flying teapots???

PR

chris

Will, more than anything, I like the sentiment.  Allowing an atheist to grow naturally, psychologically speaking, is far preferable than subjecting one to assault.