News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Introduction

Started by bisbell6, July 15, 2012, 09:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bisbell6

Hi Ali!  I was beginning to wonder if there were any other women here  ;) Thanks for the condolences.
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so that I may wet my mind and say something clever". (Aristophanes)

En_Route

Quote from: bisbell6 on July 16, 2012, 01:24:19 AM
Hi Ali!  I was beginning to wonder if there were any other women here  ;) Thanks for the condolences.

Don't worry there are plenty of your gender here, most of whom strike terror into my heart. A male- dominated  clique this is indubitably not. I too was sorry to hear about your sad loss. As parents, it is probably what we dread most. I am glad you have been able to come to terms with it and have obviously have found solace and uplift in celebrating and cherishing the time you had with him.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

bisbell6

Thanks, En_Route!  I shall try my best to live up to my gender's reputation, lol!
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so that I may wet my mind and say something clever". (Aristophanes)

Sandra Craft

Quote from: bisbell6 on July 15, 2012, 09:41:41 PM
Hi, My name is Keri and I live in the Cascade Foothills in Duvall, WA (The Pacific Northwest of the U.S.).  I'm a fifty one year old, single, retired woman with three adult, atheist daughters and I also am thrilled to have two young grandsons. 

Welcome, you certainly live in a lovely place.  And you've definitely come to the right place for interesting, sometimes heated but always lively, discussions with a diverse group. 

I'm a 57 yr old, single, hoping-to-retire-this-year, Californian woman whose main interests in life are reading and cats (hence the screenname).  There's an Edward Gorey cartoon that has a cat sprawled lazily over a stack of books, and the subtitle "books, cats -- life is good".  If I were inclined to get tattooed, that's the tattoo I'd get.  Just not sure where.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Keri, I said hi in the thread about 'where are you from', but... welcome again! I'm really glad to meet you. :)

You sound like an interesting, strong lady - a survivor and a fighter. I'm sorry to hear about your son. I'm also happy to hear that the way you've moved on has helped make you stronger, and helped you heal some. *hugs*

I'm really looking forward to getting to know you, more! Like you, I'm also a humanist... and like you, I enjoy doing stuff in the kitchen, and my purses also tend to have fun colours and/or flowers on them.  ;D

See you around the forums, I'm very glad you're here!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

bisbell6

Thank you, bookscatsetc and amicale for the welcomes!  I'm really looking forward to hearing more from both of you in the forums!  ;D

The Magic Pudding

Hello

Useful tips:

Don't feed the Asmo, or at least keep your distance and use a long stick.
You needn't be nice to Old Git as he'll only forget anyway, oh but you're a humanist, be nice if you must.
Tank loves Korean cuisine and would appreciate any dog recipes you can find.
Be careful with Scissorlegs, he is an unapologetic rightest and will seek to exploit your labour.
Determined Juliet, BooksCats, Phinx, Amicale, Ali and Budhorse are all very nice, if you do what your told and ply them with chocolate.
If BooksCats says something is poetic don't think it's a compliment.
Phinx is annoyingly clever.
Amicale likes cats but besides that she's OK.
Ali eats all our food, don't bother looking in the HAF fridge 'cause she'll have eaten everything.
If you see Budhorse on her horse don't stand too close as she will probably fall on you, oh and her horse also bites.
I suspect En_Route is a Tank sock puppet.
Recusant is seems perfectly fine, that's why amongst such a bunch of weirdos I suspect him most.
McQ, I can't tell you about him, he's always watching.
Guardian, I'd say watch out for him but there's no point, he's too stealthy.
Don't ask what happened to Whitney, we have our suspicions but we'd Tank you not to ask.
Stevil is a New Zealander but some people like him anyway.
Ecurb Noselrub and Animated Dirt are our tamed christians, mostly tamed.

Tank

Keri

Now you have more than 10 posts you can add an avatar and text to your signature to personalise you posts. An avatar is a good idea, well at least it helps me  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 16, 2012, 08:03:34 AM
Hello

Useful tips:

You needn't be nice to Old Git as he'll only forget anyway, oh but you're a humanist, be nice if you must.
Be careful with Scissorlegs, he is an unapologetic rightest and will seek to exploit your labour.
Determined Juliet, BooksCats, Phinx, Amicale, Ali and Budhorse are all very nice, if you do what your told and ply them with chocolate.
Ali eats all our food, don't bother looking in the HAF fridge 'cause she'll have eaten everything.
If you see Budhorse on her horse don't stand too close as she will probably fall on you, oh and her horse also bites.
Recusant is seems perfectly fine, that's why amongst such a bunch of weirdos I suspect him most.
Don't ask what happened to Whitney, we have our suspicions but we'd Tank you not to ask.

Tank told me to say that I most definitely am not his sock puppet.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

OldGit

Hello, Keri!  You've just added another grandparent to our ranks, excellent.  (The others being me and Tank.)

I'm not a lefty any more than Siz, and not wholly in favour of all brands of feminism, either.  But I don't have enough teeth to bite you, so you'll be OK.  I hope you enjoy it here.

Siz

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 16, 2012, 02:58:47 AM
Quote from: bisbell6 on July 15, 2012, 09:41:41 PM
Hi, My name is Keri and I live in the Cascade Foothills in Duvall, WA (The Pacific Northwest of the U.S.).  I'm a fifty one year old, single, retired woman with three adult, atheist daughters and I also am thrilled to have two young grandsons. 

Welcome, you certainly live in a lovely place.  And you've definitely come to the right place for interesting, sometimes heated but always lively, discussions with a diverse group. 

I'm a 57 yr old, single, hoping-to-retire-this-year, Californian woman whose main interests in life are reading and cats (hence the screenname).  There's an Edward Gorey cartoon that has a cat sprawled lazily over a stack of books, and the subtitle "books, cats -- life is good".  If I were inclined to get tattooed, that's the tattoo I'd get.  Just not sure where.

On your tail?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

This is pretty accurate.  ;D I'm another regular lady-poster. :) Welcome.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome, Kerri!

Sorry to hear about your son.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

Hello

Useful tips:

*With her mouth full*  This is all true, but notice Puddig didn't bother to tell you about himself.  Typical.  Let me.

Pudding is hilarious and cryptic, but don't get too close; he'll steal your hat.

markmcdaniel

Welcome and you have my condolences. As I have managed to avoid the list you will just have to find out about me on your own.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche