News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

First!

Started by Wrath, July 09, 2012, 02:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrath

Hi everybody! Nice to meet you.

My name is Scott. I am a student, a Californian, a queer, and a heathen. I wanted to meet more atheists and tried out a different forum prior to this one but some of the people there were extremely rude and attacked me over one of my opinions without even discussing it rationally.

I figured that if there's any place where that won't happen, it's a place with "Happy" in the name.

Anyways, some random facts about me...

• My username is from my favorite character in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
  • I am a huge fan of Starcraft and Halo.
  • I was raised an altar boy and a head chorister at an Episcopalian church where the minster was a lesbian woman and the choir director was gay.
  • Despite being atheist, I am not liberal on some things -- including pot legalization and abortion.

Anyways, I look forward to meeting you all!

Also, I wanted to edit my profile and add an avatar but I don't seem to have the option to. Anybody know what's up with that?

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Wrath on July 09, 2012, 02:37:00 AM

Also, I wanted to edit my profile and add an avatar but I don't seem to have the option to. Anybody know what's up with that?

You'll get a post from a mod soon explaining everything, but I think it has to do with the 10 post rule.

Anyway, welcome.  You'll find plenty of people here with plenty of diverse opinions.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Stevil

Hey Wrath

So I presume you are against people's choice for abortion, I think this will be an interesting discussion to be had. It's a difficult topic for sure.

Unfortunately you need to make a further 9 posts before you can discuss this and other "controversial" topics. The 10 post rules gives us an opportunity to get to know you before locking horns in battle (Know your enemy) and all that.  ;)

The 10 post rule also applies to setting up an avatar.

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy this place.

Wrath

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 09, 2012, 02:44:42 AMYou'll get a post from a mod soon explaining everything, but I think it has to do with the 10 post rule.

Anyway, welcome.  You'll find plenty of people here with plenty of diverse opinions.
Oh, okay. That shouldn't take me long. Glad to hear that there's some diversity here! I hope to meet some people on my side and the other of each issue..

Wrath

Quote from: Stevil on July 09, 2012, 02:46:07 AM
So I presume you are against people's choice for abortion, I think this will be an interesting discussion to be had. It's a difficult topic for sure.

Unfortunately you need to make a further 9 posts before you can discuss this and other "controversial" topics. The 10 post rules gives us an opportunity to get to know you before locking horns in battle (Know your enemy) and all that.  ;)

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy this place.
Yes, that's correct, I am against it. This was indeed the controversial topic that people attacked me over in the last forum I joined. They didn't even wait until I got out of my introduction thread to do it, though.

I think I shall enjoy this place much more than the other.  :)

Buddy

Welcome! It's nice to have some differing opinions here. All the sameness and love and tolerating can get a bit boring sometimes. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Wrath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 09, 2012, 03:15:32 AM
Welcome! It's nice to have some differing opinions here. All the sameness and love and tolerating can get a bit boring sometimes. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
Likewise, should be interesting.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Wrath. Your helpful fellow members have already more or less explained the site policy regarding contentious topics in the "Getting To Know You" section (they don't go here). Also regarding an avatar, signature and personal text: those will have to wait until you've made ten posts in the "Getting To Know You" section.

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Hello Wrath.         

I'm not really a wrath person, sloth and gluttony are nice but they can greatly reduce opportunities to exercise lust.  I don't suffer envy because I have the best hats and that's not pride, it's fact.  I'm not greedy either, I just want stuff.

DeterminedJuliet

Hi, welcome. :)

I think we try to encourage differing opinions here, for the most part. Things get a bit heated sometimes, but attacking each other isn't allowed. I was also an altar, um, child when I was little, though I was raised in the Catholic church.

Puddin' is also correct -- he does have the best hats.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

markmcdaniel

I will also add my welcome. I was also an Episcopal alter boy.You will find that we are all nice frendly sharks here. Excuse me while I go sharpen my teeth.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Wrath

Quote from: Recusant on July 09, 2012, 03:47:59 AM
Hello and welcome to HAF, Wrath. Your helpful fellow members have already more or less explained the site policy regarding contentious topics in the "Getting To Know You" section (they don't go here). Also regarding an avatar, signature and personal text: those will have to wait until you've made ten posts in the "Getting To Know You" section.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
Thanks!

Wrath

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 09, 2012, 04:20:48 AM
Hello Wrath.         

I'm not really a wrath person, sloth and gluttony are nice but they can greatly reduce opportunities to exercise lust.  I don't suffer envy because I have the best hats and that's not pride, it's fact.  I'm not greedy either, I just want stuff.
Hahahaha. I envy your hats. I also want stuff. But mostly, you can see me exercising my wrath as I curse at my TV after being killed on the Xbox.

Wrath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 09, 2012, 04:34:02 AM
Hi, welcome. :)

I think we try to encourage differing opinions here, for the most part. Things get a bit heated sometimes, but attacking each other isn't allowed. I was also an altar, um, child when I was little, though I was raised in the Catholic church.

Puddin' is also correct -- he does have the best hats.
You'll have to tell me what it was like being raised Catholic. I've been told that the Episcopal church was a branch off of the Catholic church and that they share a great many things, just not at all conservative and a lot less literal.