News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Tired of being negative

Started by Jose AR, December 10, 2011, 01:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgtmackenzie

Quote from: Too Few Lions on December 10, 2011, 04:19:08 PM
yeah, naturalist would be good, although I wonder who'd arrivie at the forum though if we renamed it 'happy naturalist forum'!

It's a good original question Jose, I get fed up of religious people claiming that atheism is just a belief and a religion like any other, unwilling to accept it is just not believing in deities, and it is the default position. None of us are born believing anything.

It is not that atheism is a religion, but whenever atheists gather they form a tribe.   They all share the same "beliefs"? "anti-beliefs"? "non-belief"? and it gets labeled as negativity by those with ideas that they are opposed to, especially when some atheists are militant in the defense of their non-position.

To the tribe of the happy naturalists!   The most intellectually honest bunch of them all.

Traveler

I'm willing to claim a number of labels, depending on who I'm talking to.

Atheist when in a safe place. Agnostic atheist when I want to be more specific. I don't remember seeing the Apatheist definition before, but I like it. That's probably the most accurate definition of what I DON"T believe in.

When I want a more positive statement of what I DO believe in, I most often use secular humanist. I occasionally use freethinker. And more often than not, I use person, woman, artist, quiltmaker, or something that's not related to religion at all. Because, afterall, if I weren't so drastically outnumbered in my country by religious folks, I probably wouldn't think about religion at all except as a sometimes quaint mythology.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Guardian85

Secularist, humanist, freethinker...all good.
Personally I prefer rationalist, realist, or just plain awesome! ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sandra Craft

There's also Penn Jillette's "Brights", tho I can't bring myself to use that one.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pharaoh Cat

Lately the absurdity of serious religion has really hit home for me.  That Christian Morality blog with its rant about The Hobbit was the last straw.  We need more parody religions.  The Pastafarians and the Discordians have the right idea.  So now I self-identify as Logic Elfian, except, from now on, when Xmas rolls around, when I'll be switching to Uncanniness, because Professor X sees me when I'm sleeping, he knows when I'm awake, he knows if I've been bad or good - he's a telepath, for goodness sake.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

BullyforBronto

Quote from: Jose AR on December 10, 2011, 01:08:05 PM
So I'm tired of being against stuff. I'm an a-theist, I'm against religion, irrationality, mental submission, monotheism, etc. I know I am for things (humanism, free speech, reason, etc) and I know that I, as an atheist, am in the "default" of non believing.

I feel like am man living in a world where everyone has a broken leg and needs a crutch to walk except for me. Am I an anticrutch? No, I am normal!

We (culture) have had this crutch for so long that we don't have a word for 'no crutch'.

I want a word that expresses my "default" normalcy.

Jose AR

What I am for: science, inquiry into epistemology and ontology, post modern philosophy, linguistics, literature, literary theory, skateboarding, music...ad infinitum.

I don't think I need an all encompassing term that expresses my beliefs or interests. It just seems so limiting. But, if I had to pick one, I think "dude"* will suffice. I'm just one dude trying to make it in this crazy, mixed up world.

* If "dude" is too gender specific, maybe "human" will do. Alternatively, if you're OK with "dude," "chick" can be substituted if you are, say, a "chick."**

** Sorry, it's Friday night, the kids are asleep, and I'm about four tumblers deep into some prime Canadian whiskey.

Asmodean

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 31, 2011, 01:46:14 AM
We need more parody religions.

Hmm... Asmodeanism, methink. Because The Asmo needs his own personal cult dedicated to... Well, The Asmo.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on December 31, 2011, 03:01:07 AM
Hmm... Asmodeanism, methink. Because The Asmo needs his own personal cult dedicated to... Well, The Asmo.  :D

You already had one of those, and if you don't now it's your own fault.
I told you to only eat the old unproductive followers, but you didn't listen. You ate all the young ones we could have sent out to recruit new devotees.

If people are becoming tired being negative they probably need more practice.
You just have to learn how to conserve your energy, some times a good "errr, graaaa fnerf" is as effective as a vigorous rant.  You don't even have to say it clearly or open your mouth much, with a little practice you can do it all day.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 31, 2011, 03:33:09 AM
You already had one of those, and if you don't now it's your own fault.
I told you to only eat the old unproductive followers, but you didn't listen. You ate all the young ones we could have sent out to recruit new devotees.
But... But...  :(

The old ones were so... Chewy.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

It's sad, but there really seems to be a lot of negativity associated with the word 'atheist.'
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 03, 2012, 03:04:07 AMIt's sad, but there really seems to be a lot of negativity associated with the word 'atheist.'

And that's entirely the result of theist ignorance and intolerance.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 03, 2012, 03:43:27 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 03, 2012, 03:04:07 AMIt's sad, but there really seems to be a lot of negativity associated with the word 'atheist.'

They just don't understand someone who is truly happy without worshipping the invisible giant.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on December 31, 2011, 03:01:07 AM
Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 31, 2011, 01:46:14 AM
We need more parody religions.

My kids currently worship playdo, when they get a bit older they might progress to clay.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 03, 2012, 03:43:27 AM

Maybe, just maybe it has more to do with the louder-than-HAF Atheists...but then again one need only look to a certain image thread on HAF which speaks volumes to the theist on HAF also.

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on January 03, 2012, 07:28:28 PM
My kids currently worship playdo, when they get a bit older they might progress to clay.
Yes. The Asmo shall cook up some sort of initiation ritual involving habanero chilis, rope, leather and evil while they's growing  :D

Also, there will need to be some sort of blood offerings on a pottery wheel, methink...  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.