News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Bushfire crisis in SE Australia

Started by Bluenose, December 31, 2019, 08:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on January 04, 2020, 10:54:56 PM
Well we've been in touch and all my family and friends have made it through, houses intact.  Family in Nowra were evacuated yesterday and fortunately the fire head off in another direction just before it hit them. Most have been allowed back home now, but road closures are still keeping some at bay but we know their houses are OK.   My friends in the high country had he fire stop about a kilometre from their place, just over the hill.  They were well prepared and had a plan to move to a virtual fortress of a neighbour's place if the fire started to come out of the bush and down the hill towards them, but that was not necessary.  It's been an eventful few days.  Hopefully the next flare up, probably at the end of the week when more hot weather is predicted won't be so bad.  I'm not taking any bets, though.  Currently raining in Melbourne with patchy rain extending over some of the westernmost fire grounds and this rain is heading that way, but suspect it may peter out before it does much good.

Fingers crossed, hoping the fires will end soon. Keep us posted!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2020, 02:48:37 AM
Fingers crossed, hoping the fires will end soon. Keep us posted!

All family and friends accounted for and back home.  Except that is the daughter of my mother's best friend who lives in Nerriga, one of the towns badly effected by one of the fires on the South coast of NSW.  We haven't heard from her for a day and a half, probably just communications being cut. edit: Just got a phone call, she's fine and her house is OK.

Today in Melbourne we have been smothered in smoke from the fires, which are hundreds of kilometres away, but then the smoke has been reported from New Zealand, so I suppose I should not be surprised.  I was in the city on my way back from a job this afternoon and I could barely see the tops of the high rise buildings from ground level.  According to the radio, visibility was down to less than 400 metres.  It has continued to rain today, with some of it falling on the fire grounds.  Some areas have had about 10-15 mm, or about half an inch, but it is said that we need about 200 mm (8 in) in a short time over the fires to really put them out.  Not much chance of that any time soon.  The forecast is for more very hot weather next weekend and depending on the wind, many of the fires will no doubt flare up again and there will be more evacuations and homes lost, but hopefully no lives.  Ironically, today has been rather cold and much the same expected tomorrow.  The weather bureaux is saying it will be a few days before the smoke clears.  I've had enough of it after only one, I don't know how people in Sydney and elsewhere have coped with weeks of it without becoming completely swivel-eyed.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Davin

Australian MP right now:

And totally not a global warming problem.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Bad Penny II

The Port Macquarie Lindfield swampy peat fire has been declared out, extinguished after maybe eight months.

We'd get a bit of rain and people 'd say that'll put it out but I told 'em it'd take 4"
That's what it took last time.
It took 11" until they declared it dead this time but they didn't have heat sensors back then.

What happens when truly vast peat areas start to smoulder?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Yeahbut the real worry is those ecoterrorist arsonists.  :grrr:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Too bad Oz doesn't have capital punishment. Those arsonists need stringing up if anyone ever did,

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bluenose

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 12, 2020, 06:58:26 PM
Too bad Oz doesn't have capital punishment. Those arsonists need stringing up if anyone ever did,

The role of arsonists in the recent fires has been grossly exaggerated.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Yes. I use the  :grrr:  smiley to ridicule "angry" posturing, but I should have been more explicit. My comment was specifically referring to a claim made by an Australian senator, which was contrary to what police and fire agencies have said.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

there were occazional arsonizts in tbe chaparral when i lived in california. one guy was caught throwing road flares out into the brush from his car as he drove to work. another fire was started by a bic lighter that had been lit and wedged open.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Bluenose on February 14, 2020, 06:40:56 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 12, 2020, 06:58:26 PM

The role of arsonists in the recent fires has been grossly exaggerated.

OK, I guess I was misinformed.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on February 14, 2020, 03:11:06 PM
there were occazional arsonizts in tbe chaparral when i lived in california. one guy was caught throwing road flares out into the brush from his car as he drove to work. another fire was started by a bic lighter that had been lit and wedged open.

There was a rash of arson fires here in southern California, which turned out to have been set by one of the investigators. Proving that he was better than the others by identifying the source of ignition more easily (well, duh!).