News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What no one told you about becoming an Atheist...

Started by Will, September 24, 2007, 06:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I spotted this thread while watching Google grazing on the forum. Thought it is worth a bump.

Please note it's an old thread so quite a few members are no longer here.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Clarity of thought. It took a lot for me to compartmentalise, and think up possibilities that made sense in the context of religion. Now I just have to worry about understanding the theories, instead of also trying to get them to fit into a world view. It might innitially seem lazier this way, but because I get to understand many more things in a shorter amount of time, I just consider it more efficient.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

The big surprise plus of atheism for me was the world making sense without a god.  All those things I had questions about, that were so puzzling with a god, suddenly made perfect sense without one.  Good, evil, death, justice, injustice, fate, luck, what have you -- there's no puzzle to them any more.  All the things the religious people in my life told me I'd understand some day I understood when I gave up trying to wedge god into the equation.  The religous sometimes wonder how atheists can live without the comfort of a god, my answer is that things making sense is profoundly comforting to me -- far more so than the idea of an invisible, immortal superman in charge of everything.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 28, 2011, 02:24:21 AM
The big surprise plus of atheism for me was the world making sense without a god.  All those things I had questions about, that were so puzzling with a god, suddenly made perfect sense without one.  Good, evil, death, justice, injustice, fate, luck, what have you -- there's no puzzle to them any more.  All the things the religious people in my life told me I'd understand some day I understood when I gave up trying to wedge god into the equation.  The religous sometimes wonder how atheists can live without the comfort of a god, my answer is that things making sense is profoundly comforting to me -- far more so than the idea of an invisible, immortal superman in charge of everything.

This makes sense ;D

I can really compare, since I've always been a de facto atheist, but it seems to me like theism is a source for ironically both comfort and mental anguish, especially when some things come too close to home for them and their worldviews.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

not your typical...

Quote from: Will on September 24, 2007, 06:24:12 PM
2) Sunday Mornings are glorious.
4) I can read whatever I want before bed.
Atheism is looking really tempting...
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Fi

1. Whoa, hello there, newfound feeling of self-reliance and general well-being. Suddenly I was free of the "Why won't God listen to me? Am I a bad person? Does he hate me?" type of depression. I stopped wasting problem-solving time on prayer and the resulting angst.

2. Life became more precious and living seemed less pointless. When I was a Christian I used to wonder why God made us live anyway instead of preventing us from sending ourselves to Hell. And I don't think I valued my time as much, because hey, it's just the entry exam for Heaven. When I ditched those beliefs, suddenly every day was that much more important. (Not that I don't "waste" a lot of them doofing around on the internet, but hey, I'm enjoying myself.)

3. Sunday morning: the optimal time to go shopping.

Tank

Quote from: Fi on November 22, 2011, 06:07:19 AM
1. Whoa, hello there, newfound feeling of self-reliance and general well-being. Suddenly I was free of the "Why won't God listen to me? Am I a bad person? Does he hate me?" type of depression. I stopped wasting problem-solving time on prayer and the resulting angst.

2. Life became more precious and living seemed less pointless. When I was a Christian I used to wonder why God made us live anyway instead of preventing us from sending ourselves to Hell. And I don't think I valued my time as much, because hey, it's just the entry exam for Heaven. When I ditched those beliefs, suddenly every day was that much more important. (Not that I don't "waste" a lot of them doofing around on the internet, but hey, I'm enjoying myself.)

3. Sunday morning: the optimal time to go shopping.

I've not heard that before, it's a good point.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Fi

Quote from: Tank on November 22, 2011, 07:08:51 AM
Quote from: Fi on November 22, 2011, 06:07:19 AM
1 And I don't think I valued my time as much, because hey, it's just the entry exam for Heaven.
I've not heard that before, it's a good point.
You can sometimes see it reflected in the mindset of conservative fundies. They'll rail against environmental regulations and stuff like that because they think God gave them a planet to do with as they wished, and of course, the rapture's OBVIOUSLY coming soon anyway, so it won't matter... the present and the future (of other people) aren't important to them because they're going to Heaven.

Pharaoh Cat

BooksCatsEtc - the above is so well said (and well thought) that I wish it could be plastered on billboards from coast to coast.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Tank

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on November 22, 2011, 10:05:00 AM

BooksCatsEtc - the above is so well said (and well thought) that I wish it could be plastered on billboards from coast to coast.

BCE's posts are some of the best on the forum, and we have a lot of very eloquent people here.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on November 22, 2011, 12:12:52 PM
Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on November 22, 2011, 10:05:00 AM

BCE's posts are some of the best on the forum, and we have a lot of very eloquent people here.

Ah, you guys -- I just got my first Solstice present.
Sandy

AnimatedDirt

1) The Exorcist isn't scary anymore. I've never actually watched the whole thing.  Bits and pieces here and there. 

2) Sunday Mornings are glorious. Heh.  All my Sunday mornings are a sleep-in day.  If you don't know, I'm SDA therefore my day for church is Saturday.  Although I don't like getting up ANY mornings, I'm glad I did on Saturdays because that is the day I get to spend with lots of my friends.  A couple hours at church, then the rest of the day and evening having a great time with them all...sometimes into the wee hours of Sunday.  It's great fun.  BTW...no where does the Bible make it law that the Sabbath is a day for church.  There was no "church" necessarily to go to weekly, rather its simply a day to rest from our normal work that we do the other 6 days and specifically to "do good on the Sabbath" as our best example did, by healing the sick (obviously not in the same capacity as Jesus is said to have done, but I think you can understand that), feed the hungry, etc...lots and lots of things could qualify as "good deeds" AND THEN after having helped our neighbor, if he/she/they wishes, hear about God otherwise the best preaching is usually the non-spoken type.   

3) No depressing Good Friday. Good Friday, while depressing in what is said to have went down that day, is something to celebrate, not hide or be gloomy over.  If you've met Christians being depressed on Good Friday, you've met Christians that have no understanding about what it was/is about.

4) I can read whatever I want before bed. Because we believe, we NEED to keep close to God as it is human nature to reject God.  It's not a matter of "law" that we might read at bedtime, it is a matter (should be at least) of our own knowledge of what happens when we don't keep on a path.

Eh...I threw it in the mix.  :)

MinnesotaMike

1.) The sun doesn't have to be rising or setting to be beautiful.
2.) One considers how their actions affect others, not how they'll pan out to a personal advantage.
3.) Bow-chicka wowow sans guilt.
4.) Calling upon Satan's power in front of fundamentalists becomes a favorite pastime.
5.) Sane people can and will give death threats.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on December 10, 2011, 09:03:50 PM
4.) Calling upon Satan's power in front of fundamentalists becomes a favorite pastime.

Reminds me of a bit from Futurama:  "Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, help me!  C'mon, Satan, you owe me one!"
Sandy