News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 12, 2018, 09:07:46 PM
Quote from: TankYouVeryMuch on December 12, 2018, 06:52:06 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 12, 2018, 06:16:43 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on December 12, 2018, 06:00:48 PM
Just be thankful it was water and not hydraulic oil. That stuff is seriously nasty. I coat my hands in dish soap and then wear nitrile gloves. It'll dissolve any natural rubber and most plastics.

Out of curiosity though, where in your house was a hydraulic cylinder? I've never heard of a home with a hydraulic system.

Yikes! Yeah...I'll stick with water!

:notsure: There is a huge possibility it was not a hydraulic cylinder.  :P A pipe perhaps? It was a cylinder connected to the bathroom sink.

:blush: My ignorance is showing, isn't it?

No. Hydro is water so a cylinder of water is a hydrocylinder.

This is a hydraulic cylinder as used to push an pull things. Oil is used as it does not corrode the metal of the cylinder.

Ah, ok. I was way off the mark then! ;D

I thought that's what happened but you never know. Learn something new every day. You should see me when the girls at work chat me up about makeup and underwear.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on December 13, 2018, 04:48:13 AM
Just be thankful it was water and not hydraulic oil. That stuff is seriously nasty. I coat my hands in dish soap and then wear nitrile gloves. It'll dissolve any natural rubber and most plastics.

Out of curiosity though, where in your house was a hydraulic cylinder? I've never heard of a home with a hydraulic system.

:notsure: There is a huge possibility it was not a hydraulic cylinder.  :P A pipe perhaps? It was a cylinder connected to the bathroom sink.

This is a hydraulic cylinder as used to push an pull things. Oil is used as it does not corrode the metal of the cylinder.

I thought that's what happened but you never know. Learn something new every day. You should see me when the girls at work chat me up about makeup and underwear.

That's simply turgor pressure.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

:lol: Yeah I'm a fish out of water.

Heh, they're probably into you. Otherwise they would probably be talking about a lot about menstruation instead.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Quote from: TankYouVeryMuch on December 13, 2018, 08:27:45 AM

That's simply turgor pressure.

My brothers called it Tugged pressure, but they might not very meant quite the same thing.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 13, 2018, 03:57:50 PM

Heh, they're probably into you. Otherwise they would probably be talking about a lot about menstruation instead.

Oh, they do that too. When women find out I'm not bothered by menstruation they tend to get very chatty about it. Weird...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 13, 2018, 04:08:59 PM

Oh, they do that too. When women find out I'm not bothered by menstruation they tend to get very chatty about it. Weird...

Ah, but that's after they find out you're not bothered by it. That's a different story. 

Guardian85

So some water got in between the window and the frame in my bedroom and proceeded to freeze it shut.  >:(  I figured the gasket needed some silicone, but as I already mentioned the window was frozen shut.
So I got a little fan heater and put it on the windowsill to try to thaw out the window (bet you've never heard that before!). Worked like a charm. Except the temperature shock caused the glass to crack.   :o

Luckily it is a double pane window, so it's not that bad. Was still planning on replacing that window come spring.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Sounds like you need a hair dryer my friend. Works great for all your window thawing needs.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

No one

I avoid frozen windows by living where it's never winter. Yay sunshine!

Guardian85

Quote from: No one on December 13, 2018, 05:01:12 PM
I avoid frozen windows by living where it's never winter. Yay sunshine!
Why.....you!.....  :cartoonviking:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

No one

xSilverPhinx

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 13, 2018, 04:13:08 PM

Ah, but that's after they find out you're not bothered by it. That's a different story.

I'm not sure what that means. Hmm...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 13, 2018, 09:50:48 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 13, 2018, 04:13:08 PM

I'm not sure what that means. Hmm...

It can mean a number of things, possibly the worst (or best? depending on your perspective) of which is that you've been friend-zoned. Or maybe not, and they just feel comfortable talking to you about a topic that seems to bother a lot of men, and when those men aren't bothered, they make pejorative remarks, dismissing sometimes justified behaviours and moods as "PMS".  But I'm ranting here, never mind me.  ::)