News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.

Started by Tank, July 30, 2018, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 13, 2018, 02:38:25 PM
I learned something valuable this morning. Always, always, ALWAYS format the memory card immediately after putting it back in your camera. I'm going to have a hell of a time separating yesterday's photos from today's.
What happened? I have never formatted a memory card except on the first time it goes in the camera. You should not need to do it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 13, 2018, 03:21:09 PM
Quote from: Dave on August 13, 2018, 02:04:14 PM
Macro photography.

Playing with extension rings.

18-55mm kit lens:

Those are nice tests. Did you have the lens on 18 or 55mm, or somewhere in between?

Actually, looking at them the focus is not sharp on one image, but I was looking for the field of view more than anything else.

Footling through the bits box I found a right angle prismatic viewer with x1 and x2 viewing that I bought when I was doing stuff for the archives.

More attention needs to be paid to focus for any "real" shots methinks!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on August 13, 2018, 03:37:59 PM
I learned something valuable this morning. Always, always, ALWAYS format the memory card immediately after putting it back in your camera. I'm going to have a hell of a time separating yesterday's photos from today's.
What happened? I have never formatted a memory card except on the first time it goes in the camera. You should not need to do it.

My camera uses "format" in the menu to delete everything on the card. I don't think it really formats the card every time because it happens too fast.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 13, 2018, 04:44:23 PM

My camera uses "format" in the menu to delete everything on the card. I don't think it really formats the card every time because it happens too fast.

In my experience you should be able to take your memory card out of your camera and return it without problem. What has caused issues is if I delete an image from the card while it's in the PC and then return the card to the camera. So now I only ever delete images on the card while it is in the camera.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Tank on August 13, 2018, 05:28:00 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 13, 2018, 04:44:23 PM

In my experience you should be able to take your memory card out of your camera and return it without problem. What has caused issues is if I delete an image from the card while it's in the PC and then return the card to the camera. So now I only ever delete images on the card while it is in the camera.

This is thevtoss-up between having ine big card (32GB+) and stuffing it or a few 8GB or less for the day out. The latter can make housekeeping simpler, finding an image faster etc. Sldo accidental deleting or formatting is not so critical.

There is that "Bigger must be better, I need more Giga Bytes. More, more!" I have a few 2GB SD cards and one 2GB stick that I am happy to post to people so they can put files too big to email on them for me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on August 13, 2018, 05:28:00 PM

That's also been my experience. Also, never remove or insert an SD card with the camera on.

For very critical once-off shots I use the second SD card in the camera as a backup. Then all photos one takes are recorded onto both cards. This can save your life if the card in slot 1 dies or becomes corrupt.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I think it was a brilliant idea to start this thread. Thank you, Tank.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 13, 2018, 06:00:53 PM
I will second that!  :thumbsup2:

Still wondering about collating it all together coherently There are loads of books covering all kinds of things photographic but they are often over complex and full if unexplained jargon.

Tank

Well it definitely appears popular. :)

Tank

Quote from: Dave on August 13, 2018, 06:25:21 PM
I will second that!  :thumbsup2:

Still wondering about collating it all together coherently There are loads of books covering all kinds of things photographic but they are often over complex and full if unexplained jargon.

Hence my little jargon buster section in the OP.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on August 13, 2018, 06:58:36 PM

Well, with four of us anyway!

Tank

Quote from: Dave on August 13, 2018, 07:01:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 13, 2018, 06:58:36 PM

Well, with four of us anyway!

Oh I'm sure others read and new members might have an interest.

jumbojak

Well, it doesn't really matter that the photos are all jumbled up because my experiment with the maximum f-stop was a miserable failure. Turns out, f/40 isn't very good for taking clear photos...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 14, 2018, 02:18:15 AM
Well, it doesn't really matter that the photos are all jumbled up because my experiment with the maximum f-stop was a miserable failure. Turns out, f/40 isn't very good for taking clear photos...

One can learn a lot from failed experiments, so please give us more details and we will all chip in with some suggestions. My motives are a bit selfish; I hope to learn from your experiments as well.

By f/40, I assume you mean f/4? It is possible to take clear photos at all f stops, so it was probably just a focusing problem. The wider the f-stop, the smaller the depth of field, so precise focusing becomes critically important.
― Charles Eames

Dave

I have just found a weird one.

Using the wide angle front lens on my 18-140mm lens with the camera set to P it refuses to focus using the viewfinder but is happy to do so using "live view" and the back screen!

On "intelligent" setting and auto flash it is quite happy with the viewfinder. This is the setting I used in my workshop picture.