News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Attraction(s) -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, September 24, 2017, 04:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonia

Ah, great pictures you guys! It's so hard to choose just 4, because I can see the attraction factor in all of them. But I had to go with what spoke to my heart.  :tellmemore:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Sandra Craft

I wish I could go see #1 in person.  I know it has to be in the UK, and I'm guessing Scotland.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

It's in England . I think that is its best angle.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on September 25, 2017, 03:29:36 PM

That was my second guess.  My first was Scotland because it looks like something that would have "tor" in its name.
Sandy

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 25, 2017, 03:34:09 PM

That was my second guess.  My first was Scotland because it looks like something that would have "tor" in its name.

"Tor" is possibly more common in England, as in Glastonbury Tor, meaning a high peak or crag. The Gaelic "torre" refers to a "bulging hill". But they both come from Latin. This is definitely a "tor"!

And a beautiful one.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 25, 2017, 03:10:02 PM
I wish I could go see #1 in person.  I know it has to be in the UK, and I'm guessing Scotland.
It's here https://www.lindisfarne.org.uk/
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on September 25, 2017, 03:38:29 AM
Add googly eyes with long eye lashes...Yeah...Sure...

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

*sigh* Alright. If I ever win the lottery and buy a Camaro I will refrain from decorating it with large googly eyes with long eyelashes.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2017, 10:01:00 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 25, 2017, 03:38:29 AM
Add googly eyes with long eye lashes...Yeah...Sure...

*sigh* Alright. If I ever win the lottery and buy a Camaro I will refrain from decorating it with large googly eyes with long eyelashes.
If you change your mind and decide to go ahead and get the googly eyes with long eyelashes...Please tell me you'll know when to stop.  :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on September 25, 2017, 10:54:46 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2017, 10:46:06 PM
^ :rofl:

I sure hope so!

:grin:
:lol:
Are those "earrings" I see by the mirrors!?"  :picard facepalm:

Heh. I think they may have exaggerated a little with the "eyeliner".

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on September 25, 2017, 04:14:59 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 25, 2017, 03:34:09 PM

"Tor" is possibly more common in England, as in Glastonbury Tor, meaning a high peak or crag. The Gaelic "torre" refers to a "bulging hill". But they both come from Latin. This is definitely a "tor"!

And a beautiful one.

And how.  Wish I were in any shape for travelling, that place would be near the top of my list.

Quote from: Tank on September 25, 2017, 06:13:40 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 25, 2017, 03:10:02 PM
It's here https://www.lindisfarne.org.uk/

Thanks.  Sometimes I wonder if I should be concerned at how often places I'm attracted to turn out to be Xtian.
Sandy

Recusant

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 25, 2017, 11:04:05 PMSometimes I wonder if I should be concerned at how often places I'm attracted to turn out to be Xtian.

That's on Holy Island but it's actually Lindisfarne Castle, which was built partly with stones 'robbed' from the priory.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on September 25, 2017, 11:57:42 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 25, 2017, 11:04:05 PMSometimes I wonder if I should be concerned at how often places I'm attracted to turn out to be Xtian.

That's on Holy Island but it's actually Lindisfarne Castle, which was built partly with stones 'robbed' from the priory.  ;)

OK, that does make me feel better.
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2017, 11:01:50 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 25, 2017, 10:54:46 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2017, 10:46:06 PM
^ :rofl:

I sure hope so!

:grin:
Are those "earrings" I see by the mirrors!?"  :picard facepalm:

Heh. I think they may have exaggerated a little with the "eyeliner".
:secrets1: I think the "eyeliner" is fine, it's the tiara that's a bit too much.  :notsure: