News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Science GIFS

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 21, 2016, 11:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. B

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 24, 2016, 12:45:01 AM
I'm glad for you that you did not feel you were  bullied. You must be very quick-thinking to have been able to come up with an effective reply to the teasing. Would you say you are an example of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'? And do you feel you have friends now to a greater extent than before? Questions, questions; but that was such a moving and fascinating reply and I'd like it if things are better for you now.

Please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond. I don't visit this site very often, I am sorry I kept you waiting. It's just that I only just now looked back over my previous comments to see if anyone has responded. Life can be rather hectic sometimes, you know?

What doesn't kill me makes me stronger? Yes, maybe, but only in the figurative sense. But there are trade off's. I am far less empathetic than I used to be. I have developed the ability to insulate my feelings at the expense of caring for other peoples feelings. It's not a total wash but I can tell the difference. It's not that I don't care what other people feel, it's just that I don't think about other people's feelings as much as I used to. If other people are polite and courteous to me, I am polite and courteous to them. If they are not, I reserve the right to treat them as poorly as they treat me. It's a situational thing and every situation is different.

As far as my friends go. I feel I have just as many now as I did at anytime during my childhood. One. The one changes from time to time as people go about their way. I have had many "best" friends over the course of my life, usually only one at a time. Currently, my best friend is my wife.

My approach to life has not benefited me financially but I know that I will die with few regrets.

Things are no worse for me now, but they are no better.

People are strange.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

xSilverPhinx

Seeing a fart with a thermal camera.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

joeactor

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Essie Mae

Quote from: Mr. B on November 12, 2016, 01:16:23 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on October 24, 2016, 12:45:01 AM
I'm glad for you that you did not feel you were  bullied. You must be very quick-thinking to have been able to come up with an effective reply to the teasing. Would you say you are an example of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'? And do you feel you have friends now to a greater extent than before? Questions, questions; but that was such a moving and fascinating reply and I'd like it if things are better for you now.

Please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond. I don't visit this site very often, I am sorry I kept you waiting. It's just that I only just now looked back over my previous comments to see if anyone has responded. Life can be rather hectic sometimes, you know?

What doesn't kill me makes me stronger? Yes, maybe, but only in the figurative sense. But there are trade off's. I am far less empathetic than I used to be. I have developed the ability to insulate my feelings at the expense of caring for other peoples feelings. It's not a total wash but I can tell the difference. It's not that I don't care what other people feel, it's just that I don't think about other people's feelings as much as I used to. If other people are polite and courteous to me, I am polite and courteous to them. If they are not, I reserve the right to treat them as poorly as they treat me. It's a situational thing and every situation is different.

As far as my friends go. I feel I have just as many now as I did at anytime during my childhood. One. The one changes from time to time as people go about their way. I have had many "best" friends over the course of my life, usually only one at a time. Currently, my best friend is my wife.

My approach to life has not benefited me financially but I know that I will die with few regrets.

Things are no worse for me now, but they are no better.

People are strange.
You got that right. In reply to your first sentence, I'm a bit tardy myself - don't know how I missed this. I visit two or three times every week still because it's the only forum I'm in and I enjoy it. I was visiting all day every day at first because it was a bit seismic realising I was an atheist, and finding lots of regular folk (well actually quite singular types; intellectuals, comedians, scientists etc), for whom lack of religion was normal, was reassuring.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Like for like treatment of people seems a good way of preserving sanity. Having one good friend is better than many acquaintances IMO. I have five friends of very long-standing from different times of my life from age 11 until 22 years ago, which is when I made my last friend. The funny thing is that none of them get on very well with each other. I suppose they are a disparate lot but I do sometimes wish I had a group of friends to meet with on occasion. Not since my teens has that happened. My husband has only one friend, but he sees a lot of his family who all live quite close. You seem to have made peace with your situation and I wish you well.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Essie Mae you can, if you wish, have many casual or semi formal friends by simply networking. My wife is something of a social animal who has about a gazillion friends and acquaintances.  She is a Red Hat lady, a member of ABWA (American business womens' association), and a few other groups such as her  investment club ladies who have not bothered with investment subjects for years. Those girls just have a hell of a good time with one another and are not much concerned with whether or not they have the approval of the general run of society. They often get together to attend theatre, have dinners, drink too much wine, and laugh a lot.  I am inclined to think that British ladies are not all that much different and that they can also have a hell of a good time together without hurting or diminishing anyone whatever.

Meanwhile... I am glad that we have you, EM, here on this forum.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on December 04, 2016, 11:38:00 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 04, 2016, 03:05:31 PM

I've seen this. I think on "Cosmos" with Neil Degrasse Tyson.

I really need to watch that series. I only watched the original, with Carl Sagan.

MariaEvri

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 05, 2016, 11:08:53 AM
Quote from: Apathy on December 04, 2016, 11:38:00 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 04, 2016, 03:05:31 PM

I've seen this. I think on "Cosmos" with Neil Degrasse Tyson.

I really need to watch that series. I only watched the original, with Carl Sagan.

you should. It's really inspiring
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on December 05, 2016, 01:06:11 AM
Essie Mae you can, if you wish, have many casual or semi formal friends by simply networking. My wife is something of a social animal who has about a gazillion friends and acquaintances.  She is a Red Hat lady, a member of ABWA (American business womens' association), and a few other groups such as her  investment club ladies who have not bothered with investment subjects for years. Those girls just have a hell of a good time with one another and are not much concerned with whether or not they have the approval of the general run of society. They often get together to attend theatre, have dinners, drink too much wine, and laugh a lot.  I am inclined to think that British ladies are not all that much different and that they can also have a hell of a good time together without hurting or diminishing anyone whatever.

Meanwhile... I am glad that we have you, EM, here on this forum.

That is so lovely🙂 Thank you. I don"t want to give the impression I'm unhappy; it's just that all the people I seem to meet on my organised walks are lovely but fairly quiet and serious. My closest friend and theatre buddy is the same; I count myself lucky to have her, but, for instance, I'd like to go and see 'The Full Monty' which is on at the Cambridge Arts Theatre in January, but my friend would think it a bit beneath her. It would be hilarious to go in a group. Anyway, I've got Australia and my granddaughters to see in mid Feb, so I'm not feeling sorry for myself at all. I've been reading a report today about how people way younger than me are facing loneliness because of family break-ups and the like, and I've just realised I'm contributing to the derailing of this thread. It's what I do. Apols.

Icarus

That play, the Full Monty, is a fun show to attend. It is actually not so bawdy as to offend the general run of theatre goers. Encourage your friend to let her hair down a bit and to laugh a lot because that kind of behavior is healthy.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on December 09, 2016, 05:25:06 AM
That play, the Full Monty, is a fun show to attend. It is actually not so bawdy as to offend the general run of theatre goers. Encourage your friend to let her hair down a bit and to laugh a lot because that kind of behavior is healthy.
I'll see what I can do. 😉

Essie Mae

Quote from: Essie Mae on December 10, 2016, 12:03:01 AM
Quote from: Icarus on December 09, 2016, 05:25:06 AM
I'll see what I can do. 😉

Too late - whole run fully booked!