News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

The Ballad of St Tommy

Started by Recusant, May 30, 2018, 11:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on June 04, 2018, 06:19:20 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on June 04, 2018, 06:10:36 PM
There are also tons of very violent Antifa-, Muslim- immigrants and -refugees videos available.

Can we just agree all these overtly violent people are anti-social/criminal shits and treat them all the same?

If they have a valid point let them gather the evidence and learn to fight for it without recourse to violence. Let them appeal to the nation. Give them the support they need to do so, providing they accept the will of the majority.

Bugger, I am becoming an idealist!

I have very little time or sympathy for either side.

The problem is.. violence works. It really, really does work.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Davin

There are also tons of very violent Antifa-, Muslim- immigrants and -refugees videos available. On this "battlefield" you have cowards, morons and despicable persons on both sides.
I'm not part of or advocating for antifa or Muslim immigrants. So I have no cowards, morons, or despicable persons. This, to me, is not some childish two sided teams of us vs them.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on June 04, 2018, 06:33:24 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 04, 2018, 06:19:20 PM
There are also tons of very violent Antifa-, Muslim- immigrants and -refugees videos available.

Can we just agree all these overtly violent people are anti-social/criminal shits and treat them all the same?

If they have a valid point let them gather the evidence and learn to fight for it without recourse to violence. Let them appeal to the nation. Give them the support they need to do so, providing they accept the will of the majority.

Bugger, I am becoming an idealist!

I have very little time or sympathy for either side.

To invoke more hatred and violence on side A's part which provokes them to violence which invokes B to retsliate and so on ad nauseum!

There are a whole lot of stupid fuckers in the human race. It bothers me not if they kill each other off in open or covert battle, just when they put others - not in their arguement - in danger. "Collateral damage" is one of the worst phrases in any language however it translates.

It is for people like that that walls were made for.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

jumbojack:

Sadly, violence is the language of the species.

Dave

Quote from: No one on June 04, 2018, 10:02:46 PM
jumbojack:

Sadly, violence is the language of the species.

From "Starship Troopers":

QuoteDizzy: My mother always told me that violence doesn't solve anything.

Jean Rasczak: Really? I wonder what the city founders of Hiroshima would have to say about that.

(Though my memory says Carthage rather than Hisoshima.)

jumbojak

Ah, Starship Troopers... I love that movie. At any rate, my views regarding violence as a vehicle for social change are a bit outside mainstream thinking on the subject.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

Can one even use mainstream and thinking in the same sentence?

Tank

Quote from: No one on June 05, 2018, 04:14:01 AM
Can one even use mainstream and thinking in the same sentence?
Unfortunately not :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

There are also tons of very violent Antifa-, Muslim- immigrants and -refugees videos available. On this "battlefield" you have cowards, morons and despicable persons on both sides.

The thing is Antifa stands for something that is a very good cause. Unfortunately their methods are just as bad as those they stand against.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tom62

Quote from: Arturo on June 05, 2018, 12:19:52 PM

The thing is Antifa stands for something that is a very good cause. Unfortunately their methods are just as bad as those they stand against.

All they ever do is to stirring up hate and destroying private property. Apart from being extremely violent, they are also very naive and stupid. Here in Germany they attacked victims of migrant violence; destroyed parts of the Hamburg inner city, burned down cars and plundered shops (in the name of anti globalism) and now they remove car flags, because showing support for the German soccer-team is a disgusting and dangerous nationalist activity.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Davin

Quote from: Tom62 on June 05, 2018, 06:56:45 PM

All they ever do is to stirring up hate and destroying private property. Apart from being extremely violent, they are also very naive and stupid. Here in Germany they attacked victims of migrant violence; destroyed parts of the Hamburg inner city, burned down cars and plundered shops (in the name of anti globalism) and now they remove car flags, because showing support for the German soccer-team is a disgusting and dangerous nationalist activity.
Must be tough trying to make a point when you have given up your legs to stand on by supporting a man and group that are essentially the same.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on June 05, 2018, 07:21:55 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on June 05, 2018, 06:56:45 PM

Must be tough trying to make a point when you have given up your legs to stand on by supporting a man and group that are essentially the same.
Yup, the argument, "The other bunch are just as bad," in no way excuses the similar actions of the bunch you support.  "Shitheads to the left of me, arseholes to the right . . ."

Arturo

"All they ever do.." sounds like the language of someone who is not seeing the whole picture, but tries to assert they do. "All those N$#&% do is sell drugs and kill people. All they do is commit crime!" "Mexico isn't sending their best. They are sending their worst. They are commiting crimes, selling drugs, and rape." Only a sith deals in absolutes. The world is not so black and white. In other words, there is no way you could possibly see every single person in that group and their entire history accurately. There are certainly some good eggs in the group you just aren't seeing in the current lense that you are using. And yes, everyone does bad things from time to time. Nobody is perfect. But like I said, the world is not so black and white. Even bad people have some redeeming qualities. I'm not advocating for Hitler, but he was a smart man for today's standards even. He knew how to rise up the paranoia of the entire nation against the Jews. First he called them out for being unfairly exceptional to the rest of the population, then he asserted there was an actual exceptional race that deserved the higher standards & the Jews were trying to suppress them and their purity and potential by just being Jews. They are Jewish and they are just dangerous for everyone with every breathe they take.

Just let go of your short-comings. They aren't that bad.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tom62

My thoughts about Nazi's, Alt-Right and Antifa are similar like the views described in this article.

QuoteThe initiation of extralegal street violence by self-appointed judges in masks is ethically wrong, legally wrong, and in the case of Antifa, tactically idiotic. (I can think of nothing more likely to contribute to Donald Trump's reelection than roving bands of masked, violent leftists attacking not only Nazis carrying swastikas in the streets, but journalists covering protests, or crowds at Ann Coulter or Milo Yiannopolous speeches.) It is an easy call for me to denounce Antifa members who participate in or endorse extralegal violence. That does not contradict my simultaneous judgment that Antifa's stated end of resisting fascism is laudable. If they showed up in force to protest Nazi rallies, but refrained from initiating the use of force, using it only lawfully in self defense, I would have nothing but praise for them.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Certainly agree with the "tacticaly idiotic" comment - but it goes both ways. In the end it boils fown to a form of mob rule, anarchy and chaos.

The Nazis mostly had more discipline and a more coherent strategy, and that gave them power.

Find a large and remote island and dump them all on it?